Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Grounding of 737 Max - Effect on AC incl OMNI 767 lease

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Latest updates from aircanada.com
Originally Posted by https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2019/737-airspace-closure.html
If you currently have a reservation for a flight between now and September 02, 2019 that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.
Read below for more details.

Air Canada Timetable Effective June 27, 2019 to September 29, 2019 (AC's link: https://services.aircanada.com/porta...metable-en.pdf)
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 20, 2019 to September 22, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 13, 2019 to September 15, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 6, 2019 to September 8, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 30, 2019 to September 1, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 23, 2019 to August 25, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 16, 2019 to August 18, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 9, 2019 to August 11, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 2, 2019 to August 4, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 25, 2019 to July 28, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 18, 2019 to July 21, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 11, 2019 to July 14, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective March 28, 2019 to June 30, 2019

May 29, 2019
If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, call:

1-833-354-5963

If you booked through a Travel Agency, please call them for immediate assistance
In compliance with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations, Air Canada has grounded its 24 737 MAX aircraft until further notice.Air Canada is now updating its May, June and July schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Because the timeline for the return to service of the 737 Max is unknown, for planning purposes and to provide customers certainty for booking and travel, Air Canada is removing all 737 MAX aircraft from its schedule until at least September 02, 2019. A summary of schedule changes for April is posted below in the following question and answer: "What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?". Additional schedule changes will be posted as warranted.
  • Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers.
  • We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible.
  • Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres.
  • If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, please call the number at the top of this page.
  • If you booked through a Travel Agent, you may contact them directly for assistance.
We appreciate our customers' patience as we work to get everyone on their way.

If you'd like to make other plansIf you currently have a reservation for a flight between now and September 02, 2019 that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262). If you are travelling in the next 72 hours, please call Air Canada Reservations number at the top of this notice. If you purchased your ticket with AeroplanExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or Air Canada Vacations or your travel agent, please contact them directly.

March 19, 2019

UPDATED - INFORMATION ON IMPACTED ROUTES

UPDATED - Air Canada Responds to Transport Canada's Closure of Canadian Airspace to the Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-closure.html

March 19, 2019

If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, call:

1-833-354-5963

If you booked through a Travel Agency, please call them for immediate assistance

In compliance with Transport Canada’s safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations, Air Canada has grounded its 24 737 MAX aircraft until further notice.

Air Canada is now updating its April and May schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Because the timeline for the return to service of the 737 Max is unknown, for planning purposes and to provide customers certainty for booking and travel, Air Canada is removing all 737 MAX aircraft from its schedule until at least July 1, 2019. A summary of schedule changes for April is posted below in the following question and answer: “What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?”. Additional schedule changes will be posted as warranted.
  • Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers.
  • We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible.
  • Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres.
  • If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, please call the number at the top of this page.
  • If you booked through a Travel Agent, you may contact them directly for assistance.
We appreciate our customers' patience as we work to get everyone on their way.

If you'd like to make other plans

If you currently have a reservation for a flight that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.

If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262). If you are travelling in the next 72 hours, please call Air Canada Reservations number at the top of this notice.

If you purchased your ticket with Aeroplan, or Air Canada Vacations or your travel agent, please contact them directly.

March 13, 2019

Air Canada confirmed today that it will comply immediately with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations until further notice.

Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers. We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible. Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres. Priority will be given to customers travelling within the next 72 hours. We appreciate our customers' patience.

If you'd like to know what type of aircraft you are flying on, simply retrieve your booking from the My Bookings tab, then click on the 'Details' link in the Flight Details section. We also advise you to check the status of your flight before heading to the airport.

We fully support Transport Canada's decision and will continue to work with them towards a resolution of this situation as soon as possible.

Alternate Travel Plans
If you currently have a reservation for a flight operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.

If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262).

If you purchased your ticket with AeroplanExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or Air Canada Vacations or your Travel agent, please contact them directly Some questions you may have are below with our answers, but if you can't find what you need, contact us at 1-888-247-2262, or reach out to us on on FacebookExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. or TwitterExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines..

How many Boeing 737 MAX aircraft does Air Canada have?
Air Canada has a fleet of 24 Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft, which have been in operation since 2017. We have a total fleet of 400 aircraft (including 24 737MAX), comprising Air Canada mainline, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express aircraft.

Where do the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft fly to?
These aircraft operate flights across North America, to Mexico, the Caribbean, Hawaii, as well as from Atlantic Canada to London Heathrow.

How many Boeing 737 MAX flights are there each day, and how many passengers are affected?
We typically operate approximately 75 Boeing 737 MAX flights daily out of a total schedule of approximately 1,600 daily flights system-wide, representing less than six percent of our total flying.

We have a total fleet of 400 aircraft (including 24 Boeing 737 MAX), comprising Air Canada mainline, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express aircraft.

What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?
We are making adjustments to our schedule to minimize the disruption to customers as much as possible, by optimizing the deployment of the rest of our fleet and looking at alternative options, including accommodating customers on other airlines.

As an example of some of our adjustments to Boeing 737 MAX flights cancelled, we have re-scheduled widebody aircraft to serve Hawaii starting today, March 13. Some flights will operate as scheduled with mainline or Air Canada Rouge aircraft, such as on Montreal-Martinique and Montreal-Guadeloupe. Other routes, notably Halifax-London and St. John's-London are cancelled in the short term, with customers being re-routed through our Montreal and Toronto hubs.

What should I do right now?
As changes are finalized in our flight schedule, customers whose flight times or flight numbers have changed can expect to receive an email detailing their updated itinerary. This information is also available in My Bookings on the Air Canada App.

If you are travelling soon, you can also contact us or your travel agent. Please understand that priority is being given to customers travelling within the next 72 hours.

We have also put in place a rebooking policy, space permitting, and without additional fees for affected customers. Given the magnitude of our Boeing 737 MAX operations, which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada's Call Centres.

Where can I go to for more information?
If you would like to know what type of aircraft you are flying on, simply retrieve your booking from the My Bookings tab, then click on the 'Details' link in the Flight Details section.

If you are travelling soon, you can contact us, reach out to our social media teams on FacebookExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. or TwitterExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or call your travel agent.

We also advise you to check the status of your flight before going to the airport.

We thank all of our customers for their patience.

Will Air Canada cover my out-of-pocket expenses such as additional accommodation costs that I may incur as a result of these disruptions?
Our normal protocol for irregular events which are out of our control is in effect. We are regrettably unable to reimburse for such expenses.

MONTREAL, March 13, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada confirmed today that it will comply immediately with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations until further notice.

Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers. We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible but given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada call centres and we appreciate our customers' patience.

Customers are further advised to check the status of their flight on aircanada.com prior to going to the airport.

We fully support this decision and will continue to work with Transport Canada towards resolution of this situation as soon as possible.

SOURCE Air Canada

For further information: Isabelle Arthur (Montréal), [email protected], 514 422-5788; Peter Fitzpatrick (Toronto), [email protected], 416 263-5576; Angela Mah (Vancouver), [email protected], 604 270-5741; Internet: aircanada.com

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...7-MAX-Aircraft

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...to-london.html

Originally Posted by ac.com
Information on Air Canada Halifax-London and St. John’s-London service

March 12, 2019

Due to the UK's Civil Aviation Authority banning all Boeing 737 Max aircraft operations in the U.K. Air Canada has cancelled the following flights:

AC 860 Halifax London-Heathrow on March 12
AC861 London-Halifax on March 13
AC822 St. John’s-London on March 13
AC823London-St. John’s on March 14

We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible through our Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa hubs.

Affected customers may contact Air Canada Reservations to change their flights to another date free of charge.

As well, due to anticipated call volumes, customers can expect delays reaching Air Canada call centres, so we appreciate our customers’ patience.

Air Canada will provide updates as more information becomes available.
Print Wikipost

Grounding of 737 Max - Effect on AC incl OMNI 767 lease

Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Interesting that the direct YUL-YYC is now gone from the schedule.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Anything and everything
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Agreed. Given that the 787 was a clean-sheet design, I'd be more inclined to ask questions about the freshly rolled-out 777-X. It shares similarities to the 737 situation in that it's another derivation of a decades-old type that to my knowledge will undergo a similar abbreviated certification process as did the Max.

We of course don't know if this new aircraft type will apply to Air Canada.
Firstly, disclaimer, I am an average Joe who flies mostly for vacation, and most of my knowledge of flights, aircrafts, et al comes from forums like these and watching Mayday on Discovery. Supplementary information is obtained via wikipedia and also non-editable online sources.

Now that we got that out of the way, I agree with the above statement about the Dreamliner as a clean-sheet design. It underwent massive amounts of testing and it was certified long before the FAA gave Boeing the authority to self-certify. No incidents were reported with multiple fatalities at the time that all 787s were grounded due to the battery-issue. They were re-certified and back in the air in April 2013, two years before Air Canada flew its first Dreamliner flight.

If anyone caught the story on Global National last night, Air Canada and WestJet both underwent additional (and extensive) 737-MAX training in the simulator and classroom... I would assume that MCAS was studied, either before or after the Lion Air preliminary report was released.

It is safe to assume this "above and beyond" policy also applied to when the Dreamliner was first received by Air Canada. I would also believe it is safe to assume that 7+ years later, we would know if the 787 models had any design flaws - those usually become apparent in the first year or two. Any incidents moving forward (on existing aircraft) would likely be attributed to pilot error, faulty/improper maintenance, or an extra-ordinary event (lightning or bird strike in a manner that was not expected during the design stage, as there are many scenarios covered to ensure something small doesn't become a catastrophe of epic proportion).

I have now been on 4 Dreamliner flights - 1 x 788 (first flight), 3 x 789 (one in PY and the rest in Y). The aircraft flies so smooth through mild turbulence you won't even feel it shake - unlike the 763 which it was intended to replace (that thing shook like a biaatch). I don't have to question Boeing on the design of this plane as it was a totally new model requiring certification from scratch. It suffered years of delays and they didn't need to rush it out to market to compete with Airbus like they have done with the 737-MAX models.

With regards to the 777-X. I am worried about this plane model, as I believe Boeing has taken the same development template style to updating the 777 as they did with the 737. If aviation authorities around the world wanted to be cautious, they should scrutinize anything that the FAA has done so far in relation to Boeing's development of the 777-X as it is apparent they let Boeing get away with the potential for murder with the 737-MAX (and sadly, it has led to that - 346 people have lost their lives because some executives were greedy and put profit loss from Airbus competition ahead of passenger safety).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1960494-european-canadian-ban-737

Upon reading this I checked our May 10 YVR-YEG-YYZ booked thru United.

AC site still shows the YEG-YYZ leg being 737MX 8.

Given this is a domestic flight, I guess it would be relatively easy to swap to a Rouge or something but would be on low priority for May schedule. My problem is this is an United award and may require a reissue of tickets - yet we are leaving for Japan on Apr 8, and would not be back to North America until May 10, the day of flying, on a Transatlantic Pacific cruise!

I hope they would finalize the plabe swap and schedule in next 2 weeks... Sigh.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Happy

Given this is a domestic flight, I guess it would be relatively easy to swap to a Rouge or something but would be on low priority for May schedule. My problem is this is an United award and may require a reissue of tickets - yet we are leaving for Japan on Apr 8, and would not be back to North America until May 10, the day of flying, on a Transatlantic Pacific cruise!

Nevermind - just picked up that this was booked through United.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Nevermind - just picked up that this was booked through United.
Right. So I could not call AC to ask re-accommodation? If they rebook to a different flight UA can certainly reissue a ticket as they always have to when there is flight schedule change whether from their own or from partner.

I think I would give AC a call this evening to find out more. If they could move us to a YVR-YYZ direct leaving after 12pm that would be great...

As of now they are still selling this particular YEG-YYZ flight with 7M8.

I wish it would change to something else so I can talk to UA on reissue.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: TK*G
Looks like AC is actively swapping aircraft and making flight changes. Have the following showing in my reservation now LOL. (AC 430 was scheduled as a 7M8 flight)

I wouldn't mind arriving at YUL earlier TBH if AC is willing to overlook the MCT at YYZ.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Right. So I could not call AC to ask re-accommodation? If they rebook to a different flight UA can certainly reissue a ticket as they always have to when there is flight schedule change whether from their own or from partner.

I think I would give AC a call this evening to find out more. If they could move us to a YVR-YYZ direct leaving after 12pm that would be great...

As of now they are still selling this particular YEG-YYZ flight with 7M8.

I wish it would change to something else so I can talk to UA on reissue.
You could first try United. Given there is a clear advisory on the 7M8, they maybe amenable to a proactive change. Otherwise you could try to call AC and see what they do. I suspect UA will have a shorter hold time also.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I changed two AC YVR/YYZ flights off B737M aircraft onto B777. No charge for either, upgrades stayed. Flights are mid to late June
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You could first try United. Given there is a clear advisory on the 7M8, they maybe amenable to a proactive change. Otherwise you could try to call AC and see what they do. I suspect UA will have a shorter hold time also.
I just checked the YVR-YYZ direct flight - the one departs at 12:30 remains a 7M8! The one departs at 13:25 is a 777-300, 14:00 is a 787-9.

Looks like they have not get to the swap of aircraft for the domestic routes just yet.

UA may not be able to do anything because if AC does not release award space I doubt UA could move us to the 13:25 or 14:00 direct flights. But if AC moves us, UA would happily reissue tickets.

Last night I had to call AC on another itinerary because the system kept rejected my Aeroplan number. It was a long hold of about 30 min but it actually went thru to an agent at the end. I was surprised.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

While anything is possible, it is highly unlikely that AC will un-de-MAX their schedule before June 1.

UA has sold you a ticket for A->B, and booked you on particular flights, but not particular aircraft. The second part may change, the third part may change, and it may change several times for reasons unrelated to the MAX being grounded.

Don't waste anyone's time in the next week getting a new reservation.

And besides, if they do put the MAX back in service by then, given how hard the fleet is going to be flown for the next few months, you could very well jump to a MAX being subbed in for a redlined 321 you jumped too.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: TK*G
I just checked the YVR-YYZ direct flight - the one departs at 12:30 remains a 7M8! The one departs at 13:25 is a 777-300, 14:00 is a 787-9.

Looks like they have not get to the swap of aircraft for the domestic routes just yet.

UA may not be able to do anything because if AC does not release award space I doubt UA could move us to the 13:25 or 14:00 direct flights. But if AC moves us, UA would happily reissue tickets.

Last night I had to call AC on another itinerary because the system kept rejected my Aeroplan number. It was a long hold of about 30 min but it actually went thru to an agent at the end. I was surprised.
I think there may be some inaccuracies while AC is sorting everything out. My AC 430 YYZ-YUL on a 7M8 was just automatically rebooked to an earlier flight, and my online itinerary shows both AC 428 and AC 430 now. Interestingly, AC 430 now shows as an A320 on my reservation, but is still a 7M8 on their schedule and the app. May be some time before everything catches up on their end.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by State of Trance
I think there may be some inaccuracies while AC is sorting everything out. My AC 430 YYZ-YUL on a 7M8 was just automatically rebooked to an earlier flight, and my online itinerary shows both AC 428 and AC 430 now. Interestingly, AC 430 now shows as an A320 on my reservation, but is still a 7M8 on their schedule and the app. May be some time before everything catches up on their end.
That is what I incline to think. They made the announcement first and started doing the rescheduling. I just hope that rescheduling can be done before our leaving the continent first week of April and not seen North America again on our day of flying May 10. So I could take care of the necessary stuff before the long absence, with the last 14 days would be in the middle of Pacific Ocean!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
While anything is possible, it is highly unlikely that AC will un-de-MAX their schedule before June 1.

UA has sold you a ticket for A->B, and booked you on particular flights, but not particular aircraft. The second part may change, the third part may change, and it may change several times for reasons unrelated to the MAX being grounded.

Don't waste anyone's time in the next week getting a new reservation.

And besides, if they do put the MAX back in service by then, given how hard the fleet is going to be flown for the next few months, you could very well jump to a MAX being subbed in for a redlined 321 you jumped too.
Thanks for the lecture.

I could not care less how it would be IF not for the fact that we would be leaving North America starting Apr 8 and the first day we see North America again would be on May 10, the day of flying, with the last 22 days being on cruises - first 8 days around Japan and last 14 days crossing the Pacific to Vancouver.
Also if AC reaccommodate us for flight departing before noon, we may not even make it when ship does not arrive until after 7am at Vancouver pier.

It would be kind of hard to try to take care of things while you are on a ship, wouldn't you agree?

So yes, I would waste my time but not theirs, to find if there is a possible solution to put us on a YVR-YYZ direct flight in the afternoon - that currently they are scheduled by 777 and 789 - I dont believe those would be replaced by 7MX even 7MX back to service.

Given 777-300 is a big plane the chance for AC to reaccommodate is relatively high - as long as they reschedule us, it is easy for me to get UA to reissue the ticket based on schedule change.

UPDATE
UA called AC thru the liason office. AC side claimed no knowledge of this morning's news release about 7MX out of service minimum to July 1st. UA rep was not happy on the AC rep's answer which was, tell the customer to fly another airline...

UA rep put in notes that it would waive fee should I cancel the award. I would give it a few more days and see if the aircraft would show different model, or being rebooked.

My primary concern is we cannot be rebooked into a flight that we could not make it. This has happened with AC before, we were on a CDG-YUL-FLL, and the YUL-FLL had schedule changed - the rebooking was on a flight that departed when we would still be in the air on the CDG-YUL flight!

Last edited by Happy; Mar 19, 2019 at 2:31 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended

I have a flight with AC from Reykjavik to Montreal in June. I don't see a lot of options on their website if I want to be rebooked on a different flight...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by mcbg1
I have a flight with AC from Reykjavik to Montreal in June. I don't see a lot of options on their website if I want to be rebooked on a different flight...
The alternative are likely being rerouted through EWR and then onwards to KEF on UA. Or fly to FRA or CPH and then connect to KEF on LH or SK. And if these options are not acceptable, I would ask for a refund and try to rebook on WOW.

As usual, it is better to come up with an acceptable alternative by yourself and then call AC than expect them to provide you with the best solution because they will not. They will rebook you on whatever is easier for them, not on what is more convenient for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.