Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Problem getting a refund with Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Last year, I booked a flight to South Africa through Cheapoair with Air Canada and Air France. I decided to pay to book a seat in the emergency exit row for the flights with Air Canada at $100 each way. A few weeks before my trip, I got an email saying my itinerary had been changed and all my flights were now with Air France.

I contacted Air Canada to get a refund for my seat reservations and they asked me to fill out a form online which I did. The automatic reply said to expect a minimum 6 weeks to hear back from them but it has been 8 weeks now and still nothing. I have tried contacting them on social media to speed things up but they just said it was in the hands of their refund team and to wait until they get back to me.

Why is this so complicated and is there anything else I can do to get my money back?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Contact your credit card issuer (bank) and initiate a chargeback. It may be too late, but you should do it anyway.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Contact your credit card issuer (bank) and initiate a chargeback. It may be too late, but you should do it anyway.
Only problem is that I paid for these seats with an AC gift card. My grocery store had a 10% off sale on them so I bought a few to pay for my preferred seats.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Who changed your itinerary, if it was AC you should be fine. If it was the OTA you may have to get the money back from them. I put in a refund last August for an upgrade I could not use as AC rerouted me on UA due to an IT glitch.
I finally got the refund in January 2019.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:07 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
if the ticket was booked on the same transaction, your chargeback request on the seat would most likely cancel the flight too.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by yul36
I put in a refund last August for an upgrade I could not use as AC rerouted me on UA due to an IT glitch.
I finally got the refund in January 2019.
Wow. I would have issued a chargeback long before that, myself... 7 months is in no way remotely acceptable.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I paid AC directly for the seats
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 5mm

if the ticket was booked on the same transaction, your chargeback request on the seat would most likely cancel the flight too.
This makes no sense.

OP expressly states that he booked his e-ticket through an OTA and paid AC for the seat assignments. That is necessarily two separate transactions.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:48 am

If you haven’t filled out this form, do this before you do anything else. I have always found doing it this way to be quite efficient.

https://refundservices.business.cond...refunds/create
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1
I paid AC directly for the seats
that doesn't matter if it wasn't AC that initiated/caused the change in aircraft/airline/flight. if it wasn't AC who initiated the change, they won't refund you.

have you contacted the TA to confirm who initiated the equipment/airline change?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gilboman
that doesn't matter if it wasn't AC that initiated/caused the change in aircraft/airline/flight. if it wasn't AC who initiated the change, they won't refund you.

have you contacted the TA to confirm who initiated the equipment/airline change?
I don't see why that matters. I paid for seats which I didn't get to use and I should be refunded for them.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:56 am

I don't see why that matters. I paid for seats which I didn't get to use and I should be refunded for them.
It matters a great deal. Seat selection fees are (typically) non-refundable, unless Air Canada initiates a change which causes you to lose them. You would have agreed to that when you purchased the seat by clicking on an "I agree" or similar button.

All we know is that you were initially booked on AC/AF flights, and that got changed to be all AF. The fact that you were dealing with Cheapoair complicates things. We don't know if AC initiated the change via flight cancellation, etc, or if for some reason Cheapoair did, etc. (for example if Cheapoair had you booked as some sort of tour - not that you were part of a tour - and then the group booking got changed to be all AF). AC's position could be that they didn't initiate the itinerary change, and thus deny you the refund. Sometimes purchasing cheap tickets via OTA's come with strings attached that are unanticipated.

I'm not sure that a chargeback would have been appropriate or successful in this situation (had you paid by cc).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
The airlines are tricky. And your common sense does not apply to all airlines.

In the case of AC specifically, their refunds services are usually fairly prompt with tickets, but with other fees such as preferred seats, etc things can get slower with a credit card refund. You used an AC Gift Card which complicates matters. How would you expect them to refund you? A cheque? A new AC Gift Card? Did you specify this in your request?

I am far from being an AC defender on FT, but I would resubmit the refund request with specific details on how you would like the refund processed.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

you won't get a refund if you (or your TA) initiated the change in equipment/carrier. much like you bought a hotel room but chose not to use it, you don't get a refund for that.
5mm likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gilboman
you won't get a refund if you (or your TA) initiated the change in equipment/carrier. much like you bought a hotel room but chose not to use it, you don't get a refund for that.
I didn't not initiate any changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.