Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does anyone think air Canada is going to be buying the Boeing 777x?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone think air Canada is going to be buying the Boeing 777x?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The mainline 767s have been replaced by 787s. Or are you referring to rouge?
Presumably he is referring to Rouge, although I think there could be room for a NMA/797 in both the mainline and Rouge fleets. If it ever gets formally "authorized" by Boeing, I would not be surprised to see an order for 40-50 of them from AC to cover both.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Presumably he is referring to Rouge, although I think there could be room for a NMA/797 in both the mainline and Rouge fleets. If it ever gets formally "authorized" by Boeing, I would not be surprised to see an order for 40-50 of them from AC to cover both.
I would be very surprised. Many of potentially MMA routes are nicely covered by the max. Other routes, by 788s, 789s and the 333s, including the ones that are coming. What other routes are left?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:11 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Stranger
Meanwhile, Boeing delaying their 777-9 PR show in view of the Ethiopian crash... Not that the 777-9 is not ready, just that there is no point at this time. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-crash-456497/
A wise PR move I would say.
mellon likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
YVR. I confess I'm not familiar with the physical layout in terms of tail clearance lines at other airports.
I'm sure procedures could be implemented at YVR to handle the aircraft, if needed. Also, the 778 wouldn't be a bad fit at AC either.

I would be very surprised. Many of potentially MMA routes are nicely covered by the max. Other routes, by 788s, 789s and the 333s, including the ones that are coming. What other routes are left?
I could see Rouge taking the A330s as they get older as well.
mellon likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The mainline 767s have been replaced by 787s. Or are you referring to rouge?
Rouge AC its the same with a different sticker. the problem for AC is the 787 plane for Rouge would not differ much in seat pitch the only difference might be less Business class seats.
AC still has the option to continue to find more "used" 767s, United just picked up the Hawaiian ones, and clearly West Jet has some 767 that will be on the used market shortly.
however Medium term AC needs replacements for its 767s. Lots of "cheap" 330 apparently will be turning up in about 5 years.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Westjet’s 67’s are going to the desert when they are done. I’d put money on A332’s or A333’s being the Rouge 767 replacement. The cap expenditure will be lower than anything else and there will be a lot of them as the Asian carriers move to the 787 or A350 (or both) as their replacement. Singapore has 19 that are going to be leaving the fleet as the 78X come into service.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
I'm sure procedures could be implemented at YVR to handle the aircraft, if needed.
In a very recent development, there will be at least three gates initially available to handle the 777-9 without restrictions on what can taxi behind it while at the gate.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:29 pm
5mm
Suspended

This discussion could be a mute point, if the max has to be redesigned. A new tail design could force Boeing to push this project back many years or cancel it all together. Plus, a max tail redesign could force Boeing out of business as we know Boeing now. There 5000 order book on the max could go to zero.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by mellon
Rouge AC its the same with a different sticker. the problem for AC is the 787 plane for Rouge would not differ much in seat pitch the only difference might be less Business class seats.
AC still has the option to continue to find more "used" 767s, United just picked up the Hawaiian ones, and clearly West Jet has some 767 that will be on the used market shortly.
however Medium term AC needs replacements for its 767s. Lots of "cheap" 330 apparently will be turning up in about 5 years.
Given that AC has kept around their rather old, light A333s, I'd imagine they have some future plan for those. They make a ton of sense at Rouge, for various reasons.

In a very recent development, there will be at least three gates initially available to handle the 777-9 without restrictions on what can taxi behind it while at the gate.
Yeah, so much ado about nothing.

Originally Posted by 5mm
This discussion could be a mute point, if the max has to be redesigned. A new tail design could force Boeing to push this project back many years or cancel it all together. Plus, a max tail redesign could force Boeing out of business as we know Boeing now. There 5000 order book on the max could go to zero.
That's not going to happen.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
I’d put money on A332’s or A333’s being the Rouge 767 replacement.

AC/Rouge currently or potentially can serve a ton of secondary destinations that are +/- 4,000 miles away. They want an aircraft that can fly that distance without the need to sell a ridiculous number of tickets.

The problem with the 332/333 is that it is a lot of aircraft - many of Rouge's current 763 destinations are to "long thin" cities. How does Rouge/AC consistently fill 350 seats to say Budapest? MAX doesn't have the legs to get there.

The NMA/797 (or A321XLR) fills a big hole that exists on routes that are too far for the MAX and/or where AC wants to offer "real" International J and/or where MAX has too few seats but they can't fill a 330. The 788 can fill some of that, but it is a much more expensive airframe than the NMA and is optimised for longer routes,
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not going to happen.
Proper question would be, how many more crashes would be needed for it to happen, unfortunately.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC/Rouge currently or potentially can serve a ton of secondary destinations that are +/- 4,000 miles away. They want an aircraft that can fly that distance without the need to sell a ridiculous number of tickets.

The problem with the 332/333 is that it is a lot of aircraft - many of Rouge's current 763 destinations are to "long thin" cities. How does Rouge/AC consistently fill 350 seats to say Budapest? MAX doesn't have the legs to get there.

The NMA/797 (or A321XLR) fills a big hole that exists on routes that are too far for the MAX and/or where AC wants to offer "real" International J and/or where MAX has too few seats but they can't fill a 330. The 788 can fill some of that, but it is a much more expensive airframe than the NMA and is optimised for longer routes,
The only reason they fly these routes is that the 763s cost seentially nothing. I doubt that purchasing new planes specifically for these marginal routes would make sense, at least if talking about a still reltively heavy MMA. An A321XLR that could potentially also be used exconomically on regular routes might be a somewhat different story. Still, I have a hard time seeing AC getting new models specifically for Rouge.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Yeah, so much ado about nothing.
Not sure what you're referring to here. Perhaps some people feel three international gates at a major hub for AC is sufficient to accommodate a new aircraft type by the airline's largest tenant, should it be introduced. Given that three competing airlines will also be dispatching the same airplane type to that airport, things stand to get a little crowded.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm
It's "moo". Like a cow.
YVR72, ffsim and mrpickle like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:26 pm

Not sure what you're referring to here. Perhaps some people feel three international gates at a major hub for AC is sufficient to accommodate a new aircraft type by the airline's largest tenant, should it be introduced. Given that three competing airlines will also be dispatching the same airplane type to that airport, things stand to get a little crowded.
That assumes that they couldn't schedule for gate use and wouldn't have contingencies in place.

The only reason they fly these routes is that the 763s cost seentially nothing. I doubt that purchasing new planes specifically for these marginal routes would make sense, at least if talking about a still reltively heavy MMA. An A321XLR that could potentially also be used exconomically on regular routes might be a somewhat different story. Still, I have a hard time seeing AC getting new models specifically for Rouge.
Yeah, Rouge is almost certainly going to continue to get discount aircraft options that are amortized.

Proper question would be, how many more crashes would be needed for it to happen, unfortunately.
Except that none of the NA carriers have had crashes with the MAX, despite operating them in significant numbers.

I'd imagine that those factors will vary on how AC continues with the Rouge product. With WestJet implementing real business, they may see a space to start doing something similar on Rouge. They may also see an opportunity to expand Premium Rouge and/or Rouge Plus, or take advantage of the larger size to allow profitable fare cuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.