Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Asked A Woman To Breastfeed In An Airplane Bathroom

Air Canada Asked A Woman To Breastfeed In An Airplane Bathroom

Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by codfather
I think we have all heard enough out of Gabor Lukacs...

This was a big mistake on the part of AC, it will be very bad PR for them when it reaches CBC! Foolish of the flight attendant to thing that no backlash would arise from this, it is beyond me!
I don't think it's AC's fault (other than to hire people who should not be in a customer facing position). Unfortunately they would get their behinds handed to them by the court if they blamed the person who was at fault (the flight attendant)... there are many of the flight attendants who are truly great (or trying to be). But I'm sure that we've all encountered the grumpy condescending FA who thought they'd join an airline so they could see the world, yet found out it's not that easy so they're taking it out on the passenger under the guise of AC rules so they aren't directly blamed for it <breath> To our detriment, there are far more of the grumpy kind, and not the superstar ones.

There are those people who should not be facing the customer... unfortunately AC attracts a lot of these and they don't know where to put them...
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .99MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Something just doesn't add up here. It is a "regular" occurrence on flights and I have never, ever seen someone at AC object in any way.

I have heard an FA tell a mother she should not start breastfeeding until wheels up and to stop just before wheels down, but I suspect that was more of a safety issue (for the baby and the mother). I have heard of a woman who was walking the aisle breastfeeding and was asked to take her seat, but again, that would be a safety issue.

I find it hard to believe that an FA with any experience whatsoever would even suggest such a thing.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Something just doesn't add up here. It is a "regular" occurrence on flights and I have never, ever seen someone at AC object in any way.

I have heard an FA tell a mother she should not start breastfeeding until wheels up and to stop just before wheels down, but I suspect that was more of a safety issue (for the baby and the mother). I have heard of a woman who was walking the aisle breastfeeding and was asked to take her seat, but again, that would be a safety issue.

I find it hard to believe that an FA with any experience whatsoever would even suggest such a thing.
Based on this subsequent tweet, it sounds like she was told this by a phone rep, not a FA.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Wait so this didnt actually happen in flight??
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Well now I'm annoyed, because Ms BDBG didn't shy away from the implication this occurred on board.

They will go listen to the recorded conversation and likely find out that the phone agent was asked something along the lines of "is there a private place I can breastfeed my baby?"

Well spotted @Yhztraveller
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .99MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Based on this subsequent tweet, it sounds like she was told this by a phone rep, not a FA.
https://twitter.com/StephVDBG/status...34674800226305
That is much more believable, although hard to imagine an RA not knowing the protocol....
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
They will go listen to the recorded conversation and likely find out that the phone agent was asked something along the lines of "is there a private place I can breastfeed my baby?
Even that does not make sense, as it would not be safe or hygenic for the mother/baby, and it would tie up a lav. I would have guessed that AC would prefer that someone not breastfeed in a lav, although it may not be official policy.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Even that does not make sense, as it would not be safe or hygenic for the mother/baby, and it would tie up a lav. I would have guessed that AC would prefer that someone not breastfeed in a lav, although it may not be official policy.
Making sense doesn't appear to be part of the entire incident:
- person A asked question of person B; person B offered an off-the-cuff answer that wasn't appropriate (although it may to some extent actually have been correct).
- person A complains publicly about ill-considered answer from person B - person A does not provide clear context of the question/answer.
- person C, D, E ... erupt.
- person A returns to provide some context.
- eruption has already occurred - context now irrelevant.
- Air Canada sued for human rights violation and forced into bankruptcy.
- No one flies or breastfeeds on AC again.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
And here in YYZ its now March 8th. International Womans day.

Good on her for calling out AC. Social media is the only way to make them listen with things like this.

And being told on the phone is still not acceptable imo. Better than a FA, but still not right. Hey dont they record the calls?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If my wife could breastfeed in a church 18 years ago, surely an airplane would be fine in this day and age.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
If my wife could breastfeed in a church 18 years ago, surely an airplane would be fine in this day and age.
I am not clear on the context. Perhaps the question was whether there was a private room suitable for breast-feeding on the plane and the reply was the only private space on the plane are in fact the lavatories. But why would anybody believe that they were breast-feeding private spaces on the plane, and why on earth would anybody suggest that anybody use the lavatory. It just doesnt make any sense to me.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smallmj
It may well be that some churches still don't allow it today...But I would expect cabin crews to be well aware of the rules today. Especially after the WS case of a couple of years back was met with a huge backlash and was well-publicized.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by lallied

I am not clear on the context. Perhaps the question was whether there was a private room suitable for breast-feeding on the plane and the reply was the only private space on the plane are in fact the lavatories. But why would anybody believe that they were breast-feeding private spaces on the plane, and why on earth would anybody suggest that anybody use the lavatory. It just doesnt make any sense to me.
This makes the most sense. She probably asked/demanded a private place, and was advised that the lav would be the only option is she wanted privacy. As a millennial, and even worse a doctor, she probably believed that AC should give her a J pod and erect a curtain for her.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
This makes the most sense. She probably asked/demanded a private place, and was advised that the lav would be the only option is she wanted privacy. As a millennial, and even worse a doctor, she probably believed that AC should give her a J pod and erect a curtain for her.
In that case she knows perfectly well she can breastfeed legally anywhere. Am still confused as why would she then ask (unless she was angling for an UG to a widebody J as more private). And what context of reply is - odd, very odd.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:50 am

Full story needed

the funny thing is she posted a second tweet saying she was told this on the phone by an ac rep but who knows who she was talking to. Could be a travel agent for all we know. Since the ac policy is pro breastfeeding, they recommend breastfeeding babies during takeboff and landing to help with ear pressure, it doesnt seem like something a reservations person would say. Its also possible she asked where she could do it and was told you could use the restroom and got triggered. Funny how these stories take off without all the information needed to know what happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.