Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada pilot orders 23 pizzas for pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada pilot orders 23 pizzas for pax

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:24 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skybluesea

No one has raised the question why were they forced to stay on the airplane for so long, let’s not forget why this happens, this is for the convenience of AC not for the convenience of the passengers.

This was address in a couple of news stories. Airport was busy because Halifax was closed. There were no open gates.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:34 pm
5mm
Suspended

Seriously, this is the excuse AC ops is making you can’t bring a staircase bridge to the aircraft and let folks de-board and walk like I did in Warsaw at -40 Recently
No, It wasn't AC that said that, but Fredericton Airport OPS. I know a few years ago, I arr into YYC and we here held on the aircraft for 60 min because customs in YYC was over their maximum occupancy

Last edited by 5mm; Mar 5, 2019 at 6:06 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:45 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
And if airport could NOT accommodate more passengers in terminal, why was this AC flight diverted to an airport that could NOT reasonably serve the extra load.
So by your logic, only three or four large passenger aircrafts should have been diverted to YQX instead of the 38 they received during 9/11 Operation Yellow Ribbon. Hmm...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:57 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:05 pm
5mm
Suspended

So if flight for some reason had to be evacuated, possibly because pizzas were too hot causing an onboard fire
then presumably passengers would be left outside on ramp?

And if airport could NOT accommodate more passengers in terminal, why was this AC flight diverted to an airport that could NOT reasonably serve the extra load.

This is winter in Canada, airports get closed all the time, so is AC prepared to deal with diversions when flights have no catering?

the answer is obviously NOT.
You must not fly that must in Canada during the winter. This is very common. I guess it's better than running out of gas? This happened to me on a WS flight not to long ago in YQR

I think occupancy laws would not be followed during a emergency.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:09 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:14 pm
5mm
Suspended

AC failed to prepare for winter, which then forced a front-line employee to do the job that senior mgrs get paid to do.
How to you know that the pilot and AC sr airport mgrs didn't talk before the pizzas were ordered? Maybe the pilot ordered the pizzas, well the AC airport mgrs was helping pax/set up payment for them. Anyways, the only person that seems to be upset about this is you, who wasn't even on the flight. Social media at it's best!
cedric, SuperCargo and m.y like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This story illustrates just how easy it is to turn what is typically reported as a "nightmare" into a more or less positive customer service experience.
It's easy, it's cheap, and AC ends up with a plane full of customers certainly more willing to be return business (and provide great word of mouth) than if they been relegated to mannequin status - expected to just sit there without needs or curiosity - that seems to happen entirely too often in IRROPs.
Somewhere upthread it was stated that this kind of approach could not be implemented system-wide.
Why not? Just seems like good business. It's easy, inexpensive, potentially excellent ROI, and would completely change the public perception of the carrier.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:03 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:10 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Is it normal that when I read one of these "airline crew buys pizza" threads that I immediately start doing math:

-how many pizzas, slices per pizza, passengers, diameter of pizza

-what method of distributing pizza did they employ? (front to back FA, front to back honor system self pass, middle-out, etc)

-"captain buys 23 pizzas for a densified seating 777" is much less generout than captain buys 23 pizzas (for beechcraft 1900)
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 5, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
My bad, did not see this!
Don't worry. No previously-mentioned item will ever escape comment or correction, with supporting links and screenshots. Not one.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:24 am

So it would appear nothing admirable about pilot actions - just following company policy
Perfect - so you've answered your own question above. AC does in fact have a plan in place for diversions, and successfully executed it in this case. The criticism that they were unprepared seems unwarranted.

that is being spun by AC media folks to make possible complaints about a long tarmac delay DISAPPEAR.
Looks like the story that appeared on CBC was pretty organic and originated from passenger tweets & photos. I don't see any evidence that "AC media folks" were involved in the story. In fact, it doesn't appears that they were quoted at all.

BEST choice is de-boarding passengers to wait, but AC much prefers keeping passengers on board for variety of internal cost reasons
Seems unlikely that it was related to any cost reason. Operational reasons, sure. Lack of gates, potential availability of a bus/driver in a short timeframe, reasonable expectation of a timeframe to resume the flight that would be further delayed by offloading/reloading passengers, available seating & services in the terminal … To your point, in an emergency, I'm sure passengers could have been assisted as necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.