Wiki Posts
Search

EUpgrades for family of 5?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
EUpgrades for family of 5?

Newbie here - is it possible to use eupgrades for my family of 5? I called AC and was told I could use a max of 3. Perhaps because I’ve flown less recently and am now only 35k? Have not had this issue in the past. Thanks!!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:48 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DtmbTO
Newbie here - is it possible to use eupgrades for my family of 5? I called AC and was told I could use a max of 3. Perhaps because I’ve flown less recently and am now only 35k? Have not had this issue in the past. Thanks!!
Being only 35K, you will be lucky if you get 1 upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:51 pm

How many in the party have Altitude status? If only 1 it can’t be done. If 2, it is possible but you’d be playing aero lotto with some.

As an Altitude member you can upgrade 1 person travelling on the same reservation/PNR as yourself. This person can have the upgrade requested at the time you post your own upgrade request. In addition, you can request an upgrade for 1 person on a different PNR provided they’re on the same flight(s) as you however this request must be done at the airport (and maybe olci). Without status their upgrade doesn’t have a high chance of clearing typically.

To get pax 4 and 5 upgraded one of those 2 pax will need to have their own upgrade credits and upgrade other pax in the same manner as described above.

Also, as E35 you’re way down on the pecking order for upgrade, and if travelling flex you likely won’t have enough credits for 5 people anyways (depending on destination, exact fare bucket, etc.).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
In addition, you can request an upgrade for 1 person on a different PNR provided they’re on the same flight(s) as you however this request must be done at the airport (and maybe olci). Without status their upgrade doesn’t have a high chance of clearing typically.
I have to disagree with both these sentences.

I've been told the limit is 2 by one agent, but I've had them do 3 another time. I don't think there's actually a limit.

And in both "recent" cases, the non-status companions were always at the top of the list (as everyone with status had cleared ahead of time).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:43 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I upgraded 2 last week. Non status. At airport checkin the agent put them on the list.
I also don't think a limit exists
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
While actual limits may in fact be discretionary, I think most would agree that the odds of an E35 upgrading a party of five are pretty remote, at best.

OP ... what route are you trying to do this on?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have to disagree with both these sentences.

I've been told the limit is 2 by one agent, but I've had them do 3 another time. I don't think there's actually a limit.

And in both "recent" cases, the non-status companions were always at the top of the list (as everyone with status had cleared ahead of time).
Very interesting, and thanks! This is why I love FT. Over the years I've learned of many interesting loopholes, and limitations of AC's IT capabilities; I had no idea about this one. The past few years I've gifted status to my wife, only to be able to upgrade my entire family when travelling on vacation. I've not yet made my selections for the year; this piece of information may result in me choosing something else.

FWIW, what I posted above is based on what is written on the Altitude site (under eUpgrade Travel Companion - highlighting mine):

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges

Enjoy the privilege of upgrading one companion who is traveling on the same reservation as you, known as an eUpgrade Travel Companion. In addition, at the airport on the day of departure, you can also upgrade one additional companion not travelling on the same reservation as you, but on the same flight as you.
I suspect that AC's IT doesn't have the ability to enforce the rule, as written. It'd be great if AC would update the rule to reflect what can actually happen in the system. I never understood the limit for people on same reservation or same flight; even if there is some abuse, by limiting to same reservation and flights that'd minimize the capability for abuse, IMHO. AC issues a finite number of eUpgrade credits, so I suspect many Altitude members would be stingy in giving to others. Plus, there is likely an ability to upsell pax; pax travelling on vacation may buy slightly higher fares if there is a possibility to upgrade a party of 3+ on a single reservation (subject to each pax clearing based on own status, etc.).

On another note, I'm not sure about OP's fare class or destination. OP would likely only have enough eUpgrade credits if traveling Latitude or high flex fare. If looking to purchase a high flex or Lat fare anyways, and if travelling to a sun destination, I recommend to the OP (or someone in a similar situation) that they evaluate whether it is worth it to buy a 20-credit Latitude flight pass and take advantage of the complimentary upgrades 2-days prior to departure. I assume OP has already purchased tix, but this might be an option if they haven't.

Last edited by YEG USER; Mar 4, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
managed 2 e-upgrades & 2 * Alliance upgrades for party of 4 , but not 5!

I am booked with 3 others with AC on EDI/YYZ/BDA and return, later this year. Premium rouge on the sectors from and to EDI, and outbound YYZ/BDA all paid to sit up front.
For the Inbound BDA/YYZ however, the original bookings were made in economy. (B) Premium rouge / premium economy (N) on trans-Atlantic appears automatically to make the associated North America economy sectors as (B) bookings - this is good IMO!
Prior to making any bookings I checked via Aeroplan to see if the (I) bucket was available to use for upgrades using the *Alliance miles system, i.e. the booking bucket for Business Awards. it was, and showing 2 seats on the selected day! - I also knew that 4 x e-upgrades via myself as a lowly Prestige member would be near impossible, therefore I decided to make two totally separate bookings.
* Alliance points were successfully applied to the booking as soon as it was made for the non-status and seldom flyers individuals. Myself and my nominated co-traveller on the other booking have successfully used e-upgrades from economy (B) to business (R) on BDA/YYZ.
All round very content after a lot of thought.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Very interesting, and thanks! This is why I love FT. Over the years I've learned of many interesting loopholes, and limitations of AC's IT capabilities; I had no idea about this one. The past few years I've gifted status to my wife, only to be able to upgrade my entire family when travelling on vacation. I've not yet made my selections for the year; this piece of information may result in me choosing something else.

FWIW, what I posted above is based on what is written on the Altitude site (under eUpgrade Travel Companion - highlighting mine):

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges
Then I certainly wouldn't count on it.

I suspect that AC's IT doesn't have the ability to enforce the rule, as written. It'd be great if AC would update the rule to reflect what can actually happen in the system.
Realistically, if we push the issue too much, they'll update the system to match their policy.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:12 am

[QUOTE=canadiancow;30846693Realistically, if we push the issue too much, they'll update the system to match their policy.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I'm not advocating pushing this issue.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by DtmbTO
How many e-upgrade credits do you have, and what fare class are you all flying in? Even if all those u/gs were permitted, that's a lot of credits you'd need.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
E35k gets up to 30 eUps. 4-6 credits per person is therefore feasible. As far as I was aware, though I've never tried it, you can upgrade anyone you want on the same flight at the airport.

As has been stated of course, depending upon the route the chance of (probably) four free seats in J is low. But then, I've taken flights where there was a large amount of J space as I'm sure many of us have. Shorter flights are more likely to have less people willing to spend their eUps, especially way before new ones expire.

Be interesting for the OP to report back on what happens; although YMMV and "I work at the airport, you're wrong" are both likely to render such a report dubious at best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.