Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC788 LAX-YYZ Meal downgraded to express breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

Boarded expecting dinner choices just like AC788 last week, AC788 last month, and the numerous other times. We purposely connect thru LAX instead of SFO because this was the last holdout of an evening dinner departure.

Not today (March 1st). Menu cards and catering just have the omelette. Served 75min prior to arrival. Crew just as surprised as I was.

I asked to exercise the "should you prefer an earlier time, please inform your flight attendant" option. Was asked to show them where I saw that was even an option (on the menu). Was initially denied. "everything is packed in dry ice, the side items such as fruit and yogurt will be too frozen to serve until we are closer to landing."

Signature service....indeed.

edit: To the crew's credit they did find a way to serve me most of the breakfast early into the flight.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 2, 2019 at 5:11 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to guess that upon data analysis the majority of people on a 4 hour red-eye flight want to sleep immediately and not be kept awake by clanking about the cabin. Although I've sworn off red-eye flights (partially for this reason) I know my wife on YVR-YYZ red-eye the other day enjoyed a good sleep and maybe this was part of the reason why.
lcohen999, 5mm and canadiancow like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
My coworker flew on this flight last week. I was surprised when he told me a full dinner was offered on the flight, even though he explained that it’s served on a single tray all at once,

I’m with @mikeyyz on this one; I’d expect that most people on a red eye departing past 10pm would rather sleep than a (potentially) second dinner served at nearly 2am in the arrival time zone.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:00 am

Maybe they started doing this starting March? I was on this flight aC788 the night before, Thursday Feb 28th, and they still have the Dinner menu in J.
Although, most passengers, including myself decline the dinner, and went straight to bed.

For a 4-5 hour redeye flight leaving at 10pm, I much rather have dinner at the airport/city at a 'normal' hour, then waste 1-2 hours for the dinner service on the airplane. I have no issues with AC taking the dinner option away.
5mm, canadiancow and ffsim like this.

Last edited by Commie; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:28 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Commie
Maybe they started doing this starting March? I was on this flight aC788 the night before, Thursday Feb 28th, and they still have the Dinner menu in J.
AC and mobile app list AC788 as 'meal' in J. Yesterday today and a few weeks from now. While the morning departures say 'breakfast'...

Also the evening SFO-LAX lists 'breakfast'.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
This is one of those flights where some originality and common sense would be preferred. A robust snack or light meal that can be served anytime is preferable. Sandwich, soup, salad, fruit. Easy to serve and to cater. The airline picked the breakfast option because it is relatively cheap and can be pushed out of catering quickly. No common sense.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
This is one of those flights where some originality and common sense would be preferred. A robust snack or light meal that can be served anytime is preferable. Sandwich, soup, salad, fruit. Easy to serve and to cater. The airline picked the breakfast option because it is relatively cheap and can be pushed out of catering quickly. No common sense.
Are you sure they didn't pick it because most people would prefer to eat at 6am than 10pm, and most people would prefer breakfast as their 6am meal?
ffsim and Adam Smith like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The key is, to my mind not most people. We can talk about that all day but to me the key is OP asked for the option to exercise the prescribed benefit of being able to eat earlier and was originally told no.

Don't offer something if you can’t provide it. At least that’s my take away.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
What is the current meal on this flight? Breakfast or dinner?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Bartolo
What is the current meal on this flight? Breakfast or dinner?
Cheese plate after take-off, breakfast prior to landing. Red-Eye service standards 22:30 onwards.

Not uncommon for meal refusals to hover at 80%+ be it dinner or breakfast on this rotation.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Cheese plate after take-off, breakfast prior to landing. Red-Eye service standards 22:30 onwards.

Not uncommon for meal refusals to hover at 80%+ be it dinner or breakfast on this rotation.
Thanks so much for the info. Most helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.