Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

February On-Time Performance - still the worst in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

February On-Time Performance - still the worst in the world

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
...and while delays do occur, our perception is that it's not too bad.
You've hit on an interesting concept: perception. Perception drives a lot of emotion, whether positive or not and whether justified or not. There is no shortage of perception on this forum.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Specifically for YYZ, I guess we would have to look at other major airlines OTP v/s AC for YYZ. Or look at total YYZ OTP and remove 50% AC weightage.
I do not know if this data is available but someone on this forum should.
I'm struggling to find statistics from the airport authorities about how they perform operationally. That being said, here is YYZ's stated performance standards:

I would be surprised to learn:
  1. Whether YYZ manages to hit those operational standards consistently or whether there are seasonal effects (i.e. Winter) that cause them to hit those targets
  2. Whether these targets are sufficient to ensure OTP for the airlines it serves (i.e. is 45 minutes to transfer a bag a little too long?)
  3. What YYZ's standard is for seasonal effects like snow (i.e. we plan on having the runways cleared within 10 minutes 90% of the time)
  4. Other operational standards YYZ has set and what the potential knock on affects could be there.
Again, it's difficult to find these statistics, although I'm sure it's possible to get them one way or another.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
If only there was some way AC could predict that weather would be cold and snowy in Canada in the winter and accommodate for that, rather than running the same schedule as in the summer and hoping for the best. If they could somehow crack that nut then winter time OTP would improve for sure!
Except Air Canada doesn't run the same schedule in summer and winter.

AC OTP is bad, but we don't need to just make up our own facts.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Welcome to March. In today's news........

EF shows

AC0121/09MAR EQU ACA320E01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J Y
YYZ - 1700 - 05.16
YVR 1916 TOTAL TIME YYZYVR 5.16
YYZ 1700 YVR 1852 00:24E 320 MTF ED EA
DEP TML T1 GATE --/D35
ARR TML M GATE --/-----
RMKS/DLYD DUE MTCE FIN 403 PTU FAULT//NOW SKED

Hmmmm, shall we blame the weather?

AC0125/09MAR EQU ACA77WC01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J O Y
YYZ - 1900 - 05.08
YVR 2108 TOTAL TIME YYZYVR 5.08
RMKS/DELAYED ACCOUNT MECHANICAL FLEET CONSTRAINTS...FIN 737 AOG
EXTENDED

YYZ 2000 01:00L YVR 2139 00:31L 77W ED EA
DEP TML T1 GATE --/D24
ARR TML M GATE --/-----

Ah yes, my perpetually late flight

AC0118/09MAR EQU ACA77WH01
YVR - 1410 - 04.20
YYZ 2130 TOTAL TIME YVRYYZ 4.20
RMKS/FIN 844 DLYD AWAITING LATE INB AC18 LATE TRACK DUE CNX HOL
D FOR 42 PAX OFF QK8090...WAS B789 NOW B77P DUE TO MECHANICAL
FLEET CONSTRAINTS SPECIFICALLY FIN 836 AOG...NEW FIN 745....B
OOKED PAX LOAD 27/13/207

YVR 1520 01:10L YYZ 2254 01:24L 77W EQI ED EA
DEP TML M GATE --/C49
ARR TML T1 GATE --/-----

AC0186/09MAR EQU ACA789P01
YVR - 1515 - 04.27
YYZ 2242 TOTAL TIME YVRYYZ 4.27
YVR 1645 01:30L YYZ 0012 01:30L 789 EQI ED EA
DEP TML M GATE --/C52
ARR TML T1 GATE --/-----
RMKS/WAS A321 NOW B789 DUE UNSCHED ENGINE CHANGE FIN 836 DLYD A
WAITING LATE INB AC45 ACCT AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS

My usual flight, and never on time even on a good day

AC0018/09MAR EQU ACA789P01
TPE - 1800 - 10.25
YVR 1225 TOTAL TIME TPEYVR 10.25
RMKS/DELAYED DUE LATE INBOUND DUE CNX HOLD FOR 42 CNX OFF QK8090
TPE 1811 00:11L YVR 1406 01:41L 789 EQI AD EA

DEP TML 2 GATE --/C6
ARR TML M GATE --/-----

Last edited by 24left; Mar 9, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
@24left, you had it all wrong. We don't blame the weather nor AC maintenance nor their ridiculous turnaround time anymore. We blame the airport and the ATC now.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:41 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
If only there was some way AC could predict that weather would be cold and snowy in Canada in the winter and accommodate for that, rather than running the same schedule as in the summer and hoping for the best. If they could somehow crack that nut then winter time OTP would improve for sure!

the easist way for AC to improve their on time departure rate is by cancelling flights the day before a storm hits YYZ/YUL. Thiis is a Reich us airlines do.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYT82
@24left, you had it all wrong. We don't blame the weather not AC maintenance nor their ridiculous turnaround time anymore. We blame the airport and the ATC now.
@YYT82
LOL. Well, I only joined the game telecast in the 3rd period and don't even know how many goals were scored.

But I did find these delays interesting. Posting them was mucho amusing. Maybe a new hobby.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Ac0016/09mar equ aca77wc01
cty tml arr dep grnd air cabins j o y
hkg - 1630 - 14.50
yyz 1820 total time hkgyyz 14.50
rmks/fin 735 dlyd due to seat issue with inf
hkg 1650 00:20l yyz 1925 01:05l 77w pch ad ea
dep tml 1 gate --/43
arr tml t1 gate --/-----

ac0032/09mar equ aca77wc01
pek - 1850 - 12.55
yyz 1845 total time pekyyz 12.55
rmks/fin 738 dlyd due immigration late release
pek 1855 00:05l yyz 1841 00:04e 77w sei ad ea
dep tml 3 gate --/e10
arr tml t1 gate --/-----

ac0025/09mar equ aca789p01
yvr - 1200 - 12.00
pvg 1600*1 total time yvrpvg 12.00
rmks/delayed account mechanical fleet constraints, specifically
fin 836 aog estimate extended...pax load 29/20/248...new firav

fin 844
yvr 1530 03:30l pvg 1927 03:27l 789 mtf ed ea
dep tml m gate --/d70
arr tml 2 gate --/-----
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
@24left, while you are at it, look up one of the YOW flights from last night. I believe it was domestic, but can't recall the flight number, where the reason for delay was due to CDA BORDER INSPECTION OF PANELS.

Nothing is as epic as the 12 hour delay of AC15 last week though. I mean, passengers were probably onboard through the first few hours of delay when the aircraft was in the de-icing lineup and the crew timed out. Then they probably de-planed and each got a $15 CAD meal voucher but no hotels. Then they boarded only to be told catering had to re-cater due to spoiled meals (so they waited onboard), and some SPMLs probably got missed. Then finally when they arrived into HKG, it was 2:30 am and again AC probably didn't care about their accommodation in HKG, even though they had just received a 27 hour AC treatment.

So there, weather/crew/airport/catering were all blamed.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by vernonc
So it appears the consensus barring some outliers is that AC's OTP is crap and the discussion is now splitting hairs about how crappy it is and how much is AC's fault or the airports.
By definition none of it is Air Canada's fault.
respectable_man likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Except Air Canada doesn't run the same schedule in summer and winter.

AC OTP is bad, but we don't need to just make up our own facts.
You’re right! For YYZ/YOW for example in the winter they extend the block time, but shorten the turn time by the same amount. Genius! No wonder the OTP of these flights is so wonderful.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Flying on Hawaiian Airline for the last week have been illuminating - A well oiled machine that has one thing in mind - get pax to destination on time safely.
From boarding, deplaning, check in, pull back. Air Canada is literally nuclear feces when being compared. No BS about loading the last few bags, no BS about waiting for the GA to bring in the bridge or holding in taxi because we missed our depature time.

I got to spend two hours in HNL watching how their ground crew run their ops and its go-go-go for all of them from the moment the plane pulls in from the highway.

Hawaiian is able to support inter-island connection time of 20 minutes. You be lucky to make it to AC connection inter-Canada with a 60 minute connection if the next one follows proper procedure where gate shuts 15 min before flight (even if the two gates are right beside one another lmao - unless the next flight is also late which I guess is common enough now)

I am not even joking at how bad Air Canada is in comparison - its like grade school try outs vs the new york yankees

To the AC execs who are reading this forum - do you not feel ashamed by how bad your ops you are? Have you got no respect for yourself or even a shred of dignity. Or are you so numb by how bad you are - holding these fake BS awards make you be at peace with your atrocious OTP.

Seriously I am so used to hot garbage(AC) - flying on American and Hawaiian is like an surreal out of body experience that is an ep of twilight zone where we actually arrived on time.

And dont BS me about how its sunny here - I will bet my left nut AC will not be able to run their ops remotely close to Hawaiian even during a perfect clear summer day in all of their hubs.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Mar 9, 2019 at 8:05 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Flying on Hawaiian Airline for the last week have been illuminating - A well oiled machine that has one thing in mind - get pax to destination on time safely.
From boarding, deplaning, check in, pull back. Air Canada is literally nuclear feces when being compared. No BS about loading the last few bags, no BS about waiting for the GA to bring in the bridge or holding in taxi because we missed our depature time.

I got to spend two hours in HNL watching how their ground crew run their ops and its go-go-go for all of them from the moment the plane pulls in from the highway.

Hawaiian is able to support inter-island connection time of 20 minutes. You be lucky to make it to AC connection inter-Canada with a 60 minute connection if the next one follows proper procedure where gate shuts 15 min before flight (even if the two gates are right beside one another lmao - unless the next flight is also late which I guess is common enough now)

I am not even joking at how bad Air Canada is in comparison - its like grade school try outs vs the new york yankees

To the AC execs who are reading this forum - do you not feel ashamed by how bad your ops you are? Have you got no respect for yourself or even a shred of dignity. Or are you so numb by how bad you are - holding these fake BS awards make you be at peace with your atrocious OTP.

Seriously I am so used to hot garbage(AC) - flying on American and Hawaiian is like an surreal out of body experience that is an ep of twilight zone where we actually arrived on time.

And dont BS me about how its sunny here - I will bet my left nut AC will not be able to run their ops remotely close to Hawaiian even during a perfect clear summer day in all of their hubs.
I flew to HNL today on AC517. Met the in laws here who flew Hawaiian. Listened to stories about their mai tai PDB’s, coursed out meal service, etc etc.

We were 20 mins late departing and the J service today was friendly enough but simply lazy. Not nearly enough attention being paid today. I had to ask for a drink with my meal finally after coming to the realization that the SD wasn’t coming back for that part after dropping the tray. Oh that was also after I had to ask for the oatmeal with my breakfast. “Oh you want the oatmeal? No problem”. Well yes I asked for the healthy breakfast and that was on the menu.

But I digress.

Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I'm no AC apologist, but the quoted remarks (from ExpertFlyer I assume?) don't provide any useful insight, other than to confirm that Air Canada operates aircraft, some of which suffer mechanical problems. And that some of the delays are truly out of the airline's control (immigration delays). And that Air Canada sometimes makes difficult decisions to hold a flight to accommodate 42 connecting passengers.

Perhaps the company can adjust its schedules during these times of inclement weather and staff shortages to meet more realistic expectations. We shouldn't expect a cut & paste series of delay remarks lacking context to illuminate the core issues that lead to a chronically-low OTP record.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
......but the quoted remarks (from ExpertFlyer I assume?) don't provide any useful insight, other than to confirm that Air Canada operates aircraft, some of which suffer mechanical problems........
Your words "the quoted remarks (from ExpertFlyer I assume?) don't provide any useful insight"....

Perhaps they don't provide any useful information to YOU. I posted the remarks for others here on the forum. Some may find them informative. Some may find them useful. You are welcome to ignore them and use your own information from your job at YVR.
vernonc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.