Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

how to request e-upgrade on UA paper?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100, Bonvoy Platinum Elite

As a SE100 can I request an upgrade with AC e-upgrade points on United metal if it's a codeshare flight operated by AC?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by gurka
As a SE100 can I request an upgrade with AC e-upgrade points on United metal if it's a codeshare flight operated by AC?
No.

Your options are bid, LMU, upfare, or fly in booked cabin.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:31 pm

Just to clarify : are you asking if you can request an AC e-upgrade on an AC operated flight ticketed by UA?

In that case I'm unsure about the e-Upgrades but you can try a last minute upgrade during check-in (either at OLCI or at the check in desk). Bid upgrade and using miles to upgrade are two other possibilities as well.

Supposing your question was the opposite: you have a flight on UA metal ticketed by AC then the answer would be no for eUpgrade certs, yes for CPU/RPU/GPU if UA elite as well as milage upgrades and ToD upgrades.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

James
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Is it "United metal" or "operated by AC" ? It can't be both.

If it's a UA flight number, operated by AC, you will be able to request an eUpgrade during the OLCI process or at the airport or via the concierge.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is it "United metal" or "operated by AC" ? It can't be both.

If it's a UA flight number, operated by AC, you will be able to request an eUpgrade during the OLCI process or at the airport or via the concierge.
The key is the plane has to be an AC plane. ie Air Canada is written on the side.

I took UA metal operated by AC to mean a UA flight booked through AC. Like AC5141, which afaik can’t be upgraded using AC eUps.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
I took UA metal operated by AC to mean a UA flight booked through AC. Like AC5141, which afaik can’t be upgraded using AC eUps.
OP also mentioned "UA paper", suggesting a UA ticket of an AC-operated flight, e.g. UA8401, which is actually AC8105, which could be upgraded as explained by the cow.

It's clear as mud right now
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
OP also mentioned "UA paper", suggesting a UA ticket of an AC-operated flight, e.g. UA8401, which is actually AC8105, which could be upgraded as explained by the cow.

It's clear as mud right now

Hopefully OP will return with an AC or UA flight number so we can definitively answer if it’s possible and if so at what stage.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, it’s a UA flight # operated by AC.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:40 pm

Should be fine, if you can get the AC booking code might be able to even request at your window vs waiting until OLCI. UA provides AC booking references when you buy the ticket, if you don’t have it I suspect either airline can look it up though.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
you just need to find out the Air Canada booking reference, go to Air Canada website, find this booking, and make an eupgrade request.

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC SE
As others have mentioned, you can upgrade, but I believe it's only within the check-in window of T-24 hours when you're on 016 UA ticket stock, so you won't get your regular upgrade window as a SE. But you can request an eupgrade at check-in. Believe this is covered explicitly on the eUpgrade website, but I'm on slow onboard wifi so don't have it handy.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Had this happen to me last week.

AC metal, UA ticketed.

You can request the upgrade only during OLCI (e-upgrades) and you can only have the confirmation once the gate agents open the flight. So you'll only get to see if you got upgrade at the lounge or by checking at the gate. Kinda sucks but to be honnest, some routes are way cheaper (and a better fare class) with UA ticket.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
...you can upgrade, but I believe it's only within the check-in window of T-24 hours when you're on 016 UA ticket stock, so you won't get your regular upgrade window as a SE...
Originally Posted by royal757
Had this happen to me last week.

AC metal, UA ticketed.
Not quite. Ticket stock has nothing to do with it. If AC is the marketing and operating carrier (or AC express) then you can upgrade at window. If codeshare (very different than ticketing) you must wait until check-in.

FYI it is possible to buy AC marketed flights on other airline’s stock/ticket.
canadiancow and bawm like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Not quite. Ticket stock has nothing to do with it. If AC is the marketing and operating carrier (or AC express) then you can upgrade at window. If codeshare (very different than ticketing) you must wait until check-in.

FYI it is possible to buy AC marketed flights on other airline’s stock/ticket.
This.

Ticket stock is completely irrelevant.

If it's a UA flight number operated by AC, you can request an upgrade when you check in.'

If it's an AC flight number, you can request an upgrade at your window.
jc94 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Yeah I got the upgrade at olci last night.

thanks all for the info.
jc94 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.