Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Full press release here: https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...F-RuEY.twitter

Key points:
  • New premium American Express card products to launch with Air Canada's new loyalty program in 2020
  • 10-year deal will provide continuity for joint customers
  • The companies will expand and deepen their partnership in the consumer, small business and corporate space
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This program works for me personally. Good news.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Nice that an Amex offering will continue to exist and that MR points will be transferrable. I'll reserve judgement on the quality of the offerings until we actually see them
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I noticed this line in the press release:

"Membership Rewards customers in Canada and the US will be able to transfer their points into Air Canada's new loyalty program once it has rolled out. American Express Aeroplan cardmembers will become members of Air Canada's new loyalty program in 2020, and all their miles will be transitioned at a 1:1 rate. In the interim, members may continue to earn and redeem Aeroplan Miles, and enjoy cardmember benefits as usual."

It specifically mentions that The AX Aeroplan card holders will get to transfer 1:1

It does not say that about other cards e.g. Platinum, Gold, etc So, either the 1:1 will remain the same as it is now, or there may be a devaluation (like some of the airline partners where it is less than 1:1).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
This was the important (Member Rewards) shoe to drop

Nice to see it !
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I think this new program will be better than the current one with Aeroplan. AC is becoming much more customer service oriented, and I think the bad PR that came from Aeroplan was the last straw. Glad to see AC taking ownership of the new program, and having them as the primary controller.

Looking forward to 2020!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Excellent news, the near zero-cost acquisition of AC miles continues!. Now brace for the gutting of award charts under the new program
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by codfather
I think this new program will be better than the current one with Aeroplan. AC is becoming much more customer service oriented, and I think the bad PR that came from Aeroplan was the last straw. Glad to see AC taking ownership of the new program, and having them as the primary controller.

Looking forward to 2020!
Same. I suspect that AC will move towards spend-based for award miles like our southern neighbors. This would be a welcomed change for those paying premium prices for short segments.
codfather likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:08 pm

I think this is good news (maybe?!) What's unclear from the press release is what the MR transfer rates to AC Altitude will be come 2020. The fact that existing Aeroplan points will transfer to Altitude at a one to one rate is news to no one I suspect. It will also be interesting to see what new premium cards will be launched next year from AE and whether those cards will be charge cards (or worse) credit cards.

Out of curiosity has there been any announcement from TD and CIBC as to whether there would be new Altitude credit cards in 2020? If so, then I suspect the offerings between the AE, CIBC and TD will be the same.

Here's to hoping there's no devaluations in the new Altitude program nor the AE MR program.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I would like to see a premium AMEX card with similar benefits to P25K or E35K. The card would come with a high annual fee ($1000+), but the benefits would be worth it. I know many FFs would not like seeing the priority lines a little longer from credit card benefits, and not from Altitude status.

I think I would pay for a good AMEX card that came with priority boarding, lounge access, free checked bags, etc. Some do exist already, but they seem to have considerably more limitations on them when compared with what I would like to see.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by YOWzer
Same. I suspect that AC will move towards spend-based for award miles like our southern neighbors. This would be a welcomed change for those paying premium prices for short segments.
Welcome from an acquisition perspective, but if they go with dynamic award pricing for redemption as well, then that would eliminate any of the outsized value folks like us are able to unlock.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 24left
I noticed this line in the press release:

"Membership Rewards customers in Canada and the US will be able to transfer their points into Air Canada's new loyalty program once it has rolled out. American Express Aeroplan cardmembers will become members of Air Canada's new loyalty program in 2020, and all their miles will be transitioned at a 1:1 rate. In the interim, members may continue to earn and redeem Aeroplan Miles, and enjoy cardmember benefits as usual."

It specifically mentions that The AX Aeroplan card holders will get to transfer 1:1

It does not say that about other cards e.g. Platinum, Gold, etc So, either the 1:1 will remain the same as it is now, or there may be a devaluation (like some of the airline partners where it is less than 1:1).
All that text is saying is that Aeroplan miles will turn into the new program miles 1:1. I wouldn't take the lack of an outright statement of 1:1 transfers as cause for suspicion that the ratio is going to be reduced. The two clauses are basically independent.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
All that text is saying is that Aeroplan miles will turn into the new program miles 1:1.
Hmmm, I see. I just found it odd, perhaps vague, to word it that way and mention just one card.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by 24left
Hmmm, I see. I just found it odd, perhaps vague, to word it that way and mention just one card.
It doesn’t mention just one card, it refers to all current Aeroplan Amex cards. It’s a reassurance that has been going on since the sale to Air Canada that all existing miles are converted 1:1 to the new program. Just trying to reinforce that in every message is how I took it.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by codfather
I think this new program will be better than the current one with Aeroplan. AC is becoming much more customer service oriented, and I think the bad PR that came from Aeroplan was the last straw.
But the bad PR is mainly due to the ticketing carrier AC adding scamcharges, and lack of seat availability. AC head had stated 8% seats per route is too high, so it should be expected the seat availability will be less. That's not improvement. That's AC "enhancement".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.