Search

AC 2019 Investor Day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:06 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Surprised that no one picked up on the A220 route map on page 39... and 99
I will be very surprised if AC receives a A220 this year. Looking at the A220 delivery schedules, it look more like they will receive the A220 in early 2020. Hope I'm wrong.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by discoseal
YYC seems to now be definitively referenced as not a hub other than for Rouge.
It's always left out of the "major hubs" (because it isn't) but quite inconsistent in this presentation, sometimes showing hub, sometimes not.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:44 pm

No mention of OTP.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:41 pm

It feels kind of strange not seeing Ben Smith's picture in the executive team diagram.
Also I'm not too happy to see Rouge is doing well.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
It's always left out of the "major hubs" (because it isn't) but quite inconsistent in this presentation, sometimes showing hub, sometimes not.
I think the term "hub" in the Canadian domestic context is a silly and almost pointless.

AC constructs it schedule so that Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Halifax are airports where passengers make regional connections. None of these airports are major hubs with large volumes of connections, but at the same time they do exist as connecting airports. Something you don't see all that much in the US system.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Lack of judgement with the photo on page 126 showing the bull baiting. The ad agency blundered, and the executives who approved that photo need their posteriors kicked. Exceptionally stupid. Showing a guy with a beard and a loser tat, will not transform the activity into a cool hipster activity.

I see references to improved customer service and a recycled buzz word "consistency". No discussion on how it is to be achieved. And I see no reference to the previously proposed improved IROPs and weather contingency plan. No reference to a solution for the deflating J class seats either.

Originally Posted by 5mm
I will be very surprised if AC receives a A220 this year. Looking at the A220 delivery schedules, it look more like they will receive the A220 in early 2020. Hope I'm wrong.
Well the report does say that it won't start flying them until 2020, although some aircraft might arrive for training purposes.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:32 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Africa. Johannesburg has been on the radar for decades. Here's hoping.
Finally! A route made for CRJs.
Simon likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Wow the consulting lingo is all over the entire deck. Think I can safely say a consulting firm made this deck.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:32 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Well the report does say that it won't start flying them until 2020, although some aircraft might arrive for training purposes.
I’m was not talking about service, but delivery. There are to many orders ahead of AC on the production line.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
I’m was not talking about service, but delivery. There are to many orders ahead of AC on the production line.

What changed? The presentation states;
Integrating new aircraft A220 • First aircraft to enter the fleet in 2019

Last January 14, at a media event at the 220 assembly plant in Mirabel Quebec, Mark Galardo, vice-president of network planning stated that Air Canada expects to take delivery of its first aircraft in late 2019 and to place the first aircraft into revenue service in January 2020. Yes, there are 537 firm orders as of January 2019, and I understand that there are at least 27 aircraft to be delivered ahead of AC. However, Air Canada is near the front of the delivery line and the Mirabel plant is on track to assemble 4 aircraft a month this year. It assembled 33 in total for 2018. The Alabama plant is due to be online Q3 2019. The new plant combined with upgrades at Mirabel are expected to boost assembly to 14 aircraft per month. Even if AB/BOM can not do better than 2018, it should still meet the delivery schedule.

In consideration of the aforementioned, I am confident that AC will receive its aircraft on time, and suggest that your expectation is too gloomy. Bombardier aerospace is not Bombardier rail and I don't think we will see a fiasco similar to the TTC trams. The aircraft are being built in Canada at a plant that has a track record of reliability and quality, unlike the trams which had electrical flaws that originated at the Mexican plant. If I am wrong, feel free to savage me in November 2019.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:33 am
5mm
Suspended

What changed? The presentation states;
Integrating new aircraft A220 • First aircraft to enter the fleet in 2019

Last January 14, at a media event at the 220 assembly plant in Mirabel Quebec, Mark Galardo, vice-president of network planning stated that Air Canada expects to take delivery of its first aircraft in late 2019 and to place the first aircraft into revenue service in January 2020. Yes, there are 537 firm orders as of January 2019, and I understand that there are at least 27 aircraft to be delivered ahead of AC. However, Air Canada is near the front of the delivery line and the Mirabel plant is on track to assemble 4 aircraft a month this year. It assembled 33 in total for 2018. The Alabama plant is due to be online Q3 2019. The new plant combined with upgrades at Mirabel are expected to boost assembly to 14 aircraft per month. Even if AB/BOM can not do better than 2018, it should still meet the delivery schedule.

In consideration of the aforementioned, I am confident that AC will receive its aircraft on time, and suggest that your expectation is too gloomy. Bombardier aerospace is not Bombardier rail and I don't think we will see a fiasco similar to the TTC trams. The aircraft are being built in Canada at a plant that has a track record of reliability and quality, unlike the trams which had electrical flaws that originated at the Mexican plant. If I am wrong, feel free to savage me in November 2019.

What’s has changed? Nothing. bombardier aerospace has not been available to deliver on time from day one. They misssed their deliveries number by 10 or so last year and they are already behind on deliveries this year. AC first aircraft on the Production has just posted. There are over 40, not 27, aircraft ahead of it. Bombardier is delivering about 2 to 3 aircraft per month and It’s now March. Unless Bombardier/ Airbus can increase delivery to over 4 jets per month or jumps AC production up the line, it look like AC will not get their first aircraft unit 2020. Still hoping I’m wrong, but the math tells another story.

BTW, where did you get current delivery is around 4 per month? Only 2 aircraft per month have been dilivered so far this year.

Last edited by 5mm; Mar 2, 2019 at 9:43 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
BTW, where did you get current delivery is around 4 per month? Only 2 aircraft per month have been dilivered so far this year.
Their own production numbers. They started spitting out 4 a month at the end of 2018. They insist that they should be able to hit 14 / month at the end of 2019 once Alabama and the changes at Mirabel are in place mid 2019. The two new Mirabel assembly related buildings are supposed to be finished April/ May.

If the new production/assembly facilities are not operating by mid 2019, then yes, your position is unassailable. However, I don't think you took into consideration the new capacity coming online. To date, everything publicly released, indicates that Mirabel and Alabama are on the way. If true, then you will soon be enjoying the delights of the pride of Canada as you float through the skies riding in a new Air Canada 220.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:17 pm
5mm
Suspended

Their own production numbers. They started spitting out 4 a month at the end of 2018. They insist that they should be able to hit 14 / month at the end of 2019 once Alabama and the changes at Mirabel are in place mid 2019. The two new Mirabel assembly related buildings are supposed to be finished April/ May.

If the new production/assembly facilities are not operating by mid 2019, then yes, your position is unassailable. However, I don't think you took into consideration the new capacity coming online. To date, everything publicly released, indicates that Mirabel and Alabama are on the way. If true, then you will soon be enjoying the delights of the pride of Canada as you float through the skies riding in a new Air Canada 220.
Do you really think that they are hit a production rate of 14/month when they just broke ground on the expansion in Alabama about 1 month ago and will be completed next year. Mirabel expansion should take years to finish. Yes, everything publicly is a go, but current deliveries tell another story. They have not hit a month production rate of 4 per month. It is currently 2 per month for 2019. The only time they delivered 4 aircraft in a month was Dec and that took a lot of overtime and extra money.

Last edited by 5mm; Mar 2, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by 5mm
The first couple of months of the year is not a good indicator of what airframers expect to deliver over the course of the year. For example, Boeing only delivered 20 737's in January even though their production rate is supposed to be 52 per month. Airbus did a little bit better - delivering 33 320-series aircraft but they are supposed to be delivering 55 per month.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:43 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Lev
The first couple of months of the year is not a good indicator of what airframers expect to deliver over the course of the year. For example, Boeing only delivered 20 737's in January even though their production rate is supposed to be 52 per month. Airbus did a little bit better - delivering 33 320-series aircraft but they are supposed to be delivering 55 per month.
Yes, I know, but Bombardier has only delivered 4 aircraft once and that was Dec of 18. To do this, it took a major amount of overtime and cost them a lot of extra money. Therefor, I can't see them increasing production to 14 aircraft a month very quickly as Transpaciicflyer is stating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.