Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What will happen to the 767-300ER routes?

What will happen to the 767-300ER routes?

Old Jul 11, 19, 9:53 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 475
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Better solution would be to follow the lead of TAP Air Portugal. Take some of the A321 LR configure them with proper international business class. TAP is doing it between Portugal and Brazil. AC can do it between Ottawa and Europe.

AC getting some delivery slots for the A321 LR with its Air Transit purchase.
Totally agree. A fleet of A321XLR configured like TAP, JetBlue, or Aer Lingus with lie flat up front would be a great ride to Europe from any of Ottawa, Halifax, St. Johnís, or even Quebec City, and could open up even more routes to secondary cities in Europe from Toronto and Montreal that canít fill an A330 or 788. Hereís hoping.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:16 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YOW
Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Posts: 705
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post


Totally agree. A fleet of A321XLR configured like TAP, JetBlue, or Aer Lingus with lie flat up front would be a great ride to Europe from any of Ottawa, Halifax, St. Johnís, or even Quebec City, and could open up even more routes to secondary cities in Europe from Toronto and Montreal that canít fill an A330 or 788. Hereís hoping.
A Quebec City to Paris route a couple times a week might be interesting.

I think one of the bigger issues for the YOW-LHR route is the business traffic. While you would have a fair number of bureaucrats going back and forth, the route falls just short of the timeframe that would allow for J seats.
jcamp028 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:46 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 475
Originally Posted by jcamp028 View Post
A Quebec City to Paris route a couple times a week might be interesting.

I think one of the bigger issues for the YOW-LHR route is the business traffic. While you would have a fair number of bureaucrats going back and forth, the route falls just short of the timeframe that would allow for J seats.
Narrowbody lieflat J seems to be the way many airlines are configuring their narrowbodies for long haul, even for flights of 5-6 hours. You have to think if the economics work for JetBlue they could work for AC.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 1:02 pm
  #34  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 33,795
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post


Narrowbody lieflat J seems to be the way many airlines are configuring their narrowbodies for long haul, even for flights of 5-6 hours. You have to think if the economics work for JetBlue they could work for AC.
I wasn't aware B6 flew to Europe

I think the bigger issue is consistency.

Right now, for an intercontinental flight, you have Premium Economy or Signature Class. The latter requires every seat to have aisle access. I just don't see a way AC could effectively add seats with all-aisle access to a narrow-body without taking up way too much space.

And since a 2-2 configuration could only be sold as PY, as evidenced by the SQ birds, there's no point in them wasting the space on lie-flats if they can only command PY prices.

Believe me, I'd love for my favorite route (YYZ-SFO) to have lie-flats on every flight, but I just can't see it happening.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:02 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: YWG
Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Posts: 643
Any guess as to what will become of the Hawaii roues this winter if the Max8 is still out come December?
jnswinnipeg is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:15 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,817
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I wasn't aware B6 flew to Europe

I think the bigger issue is consistency.

Right now, for an intercontinental flight, you have Premium Economy or Signature Class. The latter requires every seat to have aisle access. I just don't see a way AC could effectively add seats with all-aisle access to a narrow-body without taking up way too much space.

And since a 2-2 configuration could only be sold as PY, as evidenced by the SQ birds, there's no point in them wasting the space on lie-flats if they can only command PY prices.

Believe me, I'd love for my favorite route (YYZ-SFO) to have lie-flats on every flight, but I just can't see it happening.
This is what TAP has been doing with their A321 LR. Looks to be around 2/3 have aisle access.

https://onemileatatime.com/tap-a321lr-porto-newark/
Fiordland is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 2:18 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,817
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg View Post
Any guess as to what will become of the Hawaii roues this winter if the Max8 is still out come December?
They have been contracting OMNI to operate the routes.
Fiordland is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 6:06 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 475
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I wasn't aware B6 flew to Europe

I think the bigger issue is consistency.

Right now, for an intercontinental flight, you have Premium Economy or Signature Class. The latter requires every seat to have aisle access. I just don't see a way AC could effectively add seats with all-aisle access to a narrow-body without taking up way too much space.

And since a 2-2 configuration could only be sold as PY, as evidenced by the SQ birds, there's no point in them wasting the space on lie-flats if they can only command PY prices.

Believe me, I'd love for my favorite route (YYZ-SFO) to have lie-flats on every flight, but I just can't see it happening.
How about this from Thomson Aero:

https://onemileatatime.com/the-futur...usiness-class/

You can also install the present reverse herringbone on a narrow body as evidenced by what American has done with the transcontinental A321's.

And JetBlue will be flying to Europe in the near future.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:50 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 33,795
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
How about this from Thomson Aero:

https://onemileatatime.com/the-futur...usiness-class/

You can also install the present reverse herringbone on a narrow body as evidenced by what American has done with the transcontinental A321's.
That's sold as first class, since it takes up so much space. Their business class is 2-2 lie-flat.

I have yet to see a lie-flat business class product installed in narrow-bodies with aisle access from every seat, which is AC's requirement for selling it as J instead of PY.
YOWCDNFF likes this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 9:08 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 475
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
That's sold as first class, since it takes up so much space. Their business class is 2-2 lie-flat.

I have yet to see a lie-flat business class product installed in narrow-bodies with aisle access from every seat, which is AC's requirement for selling it as J instead of PY.
Splitting hairs - if AC wants to market narrow body Signature Service they very much could install all aisle access lie flat seats in a narrow body aircraft. Based on the plans of other carriers, it seems like this can work economically on the routes where it would be considered.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 10:08 am
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,470
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
Splitting hairs - if AC wants to market narrow body Signature Service they very much could install all aisle access lie flat seats in a narrow body aircraft. Based on the plans of other carriers, it seems like this can work economically on the routes where it would be considered.
But remember, on the overseas routes where they were using the max, they did not go that route. They seemed happy only to offer PY. True that these were mainly relatively low yield primarily leisure routes. Same would probably work for Quebec city to France. The routes currently operated by mainline 763 where J makes sense are the YOW to Europe ones. I note that YYZ-MXP which until recently (at least late May) saw the 763 now sees a 788. Anyway, if indeed getting 321XLRs which would allow for opening new routes, and dedicating these planes to thee routes (in contrast with what they do with the max) and if reasonably J-heavy routes can be identified then and only then setting up lie-flat J seats in a narrowbody might make sense.
Stranger is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 1:10 pm
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ord
Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Posts: 365
would Air Canada be allowed to "extend" the 767 beyond its D check, because of the MAX issue. Is that something Transport Canada can allow?

I assume some of the 767 get parked because they are hitting D checks?
mellon is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 1:35 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,817
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
would Air Canada be allowed to "extend" the 767 beyond its D check, because of the MAX issue. Is that something Transport Canada can allow?

I assume some of the 767 get parked because they are hitting D checks?
I would hope not. The D check is a safety requirement to ensure the aircraft it fit for operation. If the regulator extends it that means either it was previously two conservative (and should have been extended years ago), or alternatively they are compromising safety for a purely economic reason.
expert7700 and TechnoTourist like this.
Fiordland is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 4:04 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 475
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
would Air Canada be allowed to "extend" the 767 beyond its D check, because of the MAX issue. Is that something Transport Canada can allow?

I assume some of the 767 get parked because they are hitting D checks?
No. A D check is absolutely required. It would never be waived.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 4:30 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,025
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
would Air Canada be allowed to "extend" the 767 beyond its D check, because of the MAX issue. Is that something Transport Canada can allow?

I assume some of the 767 get parked because they are hitting D checks?
D checks could and should not be put off.

I found it inteterestig to learn, however that ACs Dash8 planes were hitting a different limitation--structural lifetime limit on total # of flights.

Since there was not easy access to replacement aircraft, the cycle count was raised by regulators (doubled IIRC). It was a multi year process and required among other things at least one aircraft to be destructively tested for metal wear and fatigue. Then an upgrade/rework/inspection needed carried out on the other planes.
expert7700 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: