Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What will happen to the 767-300ER routes?

What will happen to the 767-300ER routes?

Reply

Old Jul 8, 19, 6:43 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YOW
Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by lespoir View Post
It has been said that AC 9/10 will be seasonal routes on 763 metals (I was told by the YYC concierge over a week ago on a departing flight that AC 9/10 would only be seasonal routes on 763). I dont want to fly 763s, so no way I will support their decision on 763 aircrafts.

They are currently seasonal on those frames - question is what will happen once the frames are retired.

The 763s are still a nice ride in Y, especially with the two abreast seating.
jcamp028 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:36 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by jcamp028 View Post
They are currently seasonal on those frames - question is what will happen once the frames are retired.

The 763s are still a nice ride in Y, especially with the two abreast seating.
AC9/10 is occasionally operated by 788, I think they will use 788 instead.

As as for the Y seats, 7 years ago I routinely do TPAC Y in them, and it was bearable.
songsc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:52 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: AAplat., delta, amex,United,Hertz gold, many others
Posts: 126
When those AC 767 retire don't they go to Rouge?
Srklaw7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:05 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YHZ/YQM
Programs: none
Posts: 1,320
Originally Posted by Srklaw7 View Post
When those AC 767 retire don't they go to Rouge?
I vaguely recall that they sent the newer 767's to Rouge and kept the oldest ones for mainline. It didn't make sense to reconfigure birds that only had a few years of life left. I could be wrong though.
cedric likes this.
smallmj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 19, 11:33 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,255
Originally Posted by songsc View Post


AC9/10 is occasionally operated by 788, I think they will use 788 instead.

As as for the Y seats, 7 years ago I routinely do TPAC Y in them, and it was bearable.
Better solution would be to follow the lead of TAP Air Portugal. Take some of the A321 LR configure them with proper international business class. TAP is doing it between Portugal and Brazil. AC can do it between Ottawa and Europe.

AC getting some delivery slots for the A321 LR with its Air Transit purchase.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Fiordland is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:49 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, HH Diamond, ClubAccor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 784
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Better solution would be to follow the lead of TAP Air Portugal. Take some of the A321 LR configure them with proper international business class. TAP is doing it between Portugal and Brazil. AC can do it between Ottawa and Europe.

AC getting some delivery slots for the A321 LR with its Air Transit purchase.
Although I am waiting to see the schedule for July 2020, I'd say that one potential scenario for YOW is the loss of YOW-FRA with all TATL traffic on an upgaged A330 to LHR - even if FRA is a better connection point for many European destinations... I don't disagree thought that the potential addition of TS could be a bit of a game changer - but will be interesting to see how Rouge and TS eventually co-exists and how this impact AC's overall fleet strategy
YOWCDNFF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:52 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Srklaw7 View Post
When those AC 767 retire don't they go to Rouge?
The 767's left at mainline are going to time out from a cycles and miles perspective. They are going to the desert once they are done at mainline. My last transatlantic flight on one of them (to Dublin in January) made it pretty clear they are done. Duct tape and such in all sorts of places holding things together.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:00 am
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,429
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
The 767's left at mainline are going to time out from a cycles and miles perspective. They are going to the desert once they are done at mainline. My last transatlantic flight on one of them (to Dublin in January) made it pretty clear they are done. Duct tape and such in all sorts of places holding things together.
At lest that seemed to be the plan. But what if the Max gets further delayed? Smart money is now on back some time next year.
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:41 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
At lest that seemed to be the plan. But what if the Max gets further delayed? Smart money is now on back some time next year.
I meant that they aren't going to Rouge. I don't disagree that they may be extended to cover for the Max. AC was supposed to have 36 Max's in service by now - that is a lot of flying that needs to be covered. It seems unlikely that the Max will be back flying this year. I suspect Airbuses that were also meant to be withdrawn (and potentially the jungle jets) will remain longer.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:01 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: AAplat., delta, amex,United,Hertz gold, many others
Posts: 126
I know this isn't a rouge thread but if those 767 are simply going to the desert and retirement than might I ask what will replace the tired and old 763 in use on the mostly international rouge lines?
Srklaw7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:15 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Srklaw7 View Post
I know this isn't a rouge thread but if those 767 are simply going to the desert and retirement than might I ask what will replace the tired and old 763 in use on the mostly international rouge lines?
Who knows - nothing in the short term. Mid-term could be used A330s (of which there are many coming off lease at many carriers) and possibly more A321s (including possibly A321LR/XLR. Long-term maybe the 797 (if Boeing builds it - they have their hands full atm). Have a feeling weve got 5 more years of flying them.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:07 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,429
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post


Who knows - nothing in the short term. Mid-term could be used A330s (of which there are many coming off lease at many carriers) and possibly more A321s (including possibly A321LR/XLR. Long-term maybe the 797 (if Boeing builds it - they have their hands full atm). Have a feeling weve got 5 more years of flying them.
It looks like it is the mainline 763s that are meant to go to the desert; AC psecifically picked the oder ones to stay at the mainline. The Rouge ones are newer and presumably they were always here to stay longer.
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:18 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,649
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
It looks like it is the mainline 763s that are meant to go to the desert; AC psecifically picked the oder ones to stay at the mainline. The Rouge ones are newer and presumably they were always here to stay longer.
I wonder if they are reaching their maximum number of cycles, or whether they just have D-checks coming up. If it's the D-checks, perhaps given the aircraft shortage and the real possibility of passing the cost onto Boeing, AC might decide to keep them longer. (Just wondering here ... I have no idea.)
StuMcIlwain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:14 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton (Mostly)
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain View Post
I wonder if they are reaching their maximum number of cycles, or whether they just have D-checks coming up. If it's the D-checks, perhaps given the aircraft shortage and the real possibility of passing the cost onto Boeing, AC might decide to keep them longer. (Just wondering here ... I have no idea.)
Highly doubt AC would complete D-Checks on an aircraft that old. D-Check basically requires the aircraft be taken apart and put back together. It would make no sense to do that for 6 months of flying. It's more likely they would wet-lease (as they have done with Qatar) or have Rouge fill in (as they have done with many of the transcons between YYC/YEG and YYZ).
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:05 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,649
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
Highly doubt AC would complete D-Checks on an aircraft that old. D-Check basically requires the aircraft be taken apart and put back together. It would make no sense to do that for 6 months of flying. It's more likely they would wet-lease (as they have done with Qatar) or have Rouge fill in (as they have done with many of the transcons between YYC/YEG and YYZ).
Assuming they can find more planes to wet lease and the Rouge planes aren't committed to operate other flights or scheduled for maintenance. Or maybe they just cut back on flights in the off-season. It seems that we're nowhere near getting the MAX back into the air.
StuMcIlwain is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread