Air Canada launches YVR-AKL route

Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by taupo
AC will just need to follow NZ's policy of zero announcements after normal post take-off and pre-landing. This means zero seat belt announcements during the flight.
I assume this is mandated by Transport Canada (ie make announcements when the seatbelt sign goes on) for Canadian carriers. Please correct if if this is wrong.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by Plumber
I assume this is mandated by Transport Canada (ie make announcements when the seatbelt sign goes on) for Canadian carriers. Please correct if if this is wrong.
From the Canadian Aviation Regulations:

• 605.25 (1) The pilot-in-command of an aircraft shall direct all of the persons on board the aircraft to fasten safety belts
    • (a) during movement of the aircraft on the surface;
    • (b) during take-off and landing; and
    • (c) at any time during flight that the pilot-in-command considers it necessary that safety belts be fastened.
  • (2) The directions referred to in subsection (1) also apply to the use of the following restraint systems:
    • (a) a child restraint system;
    • (b) a restraint system used by a person who is engaged in parachute descents; and
    • (c) a restraint system used by a person when working in the vicinity of an opening in the aircraft structure.
  • (3) Where an aircraft crew includes flight attendants and the pilot-in-command anticipates that the level of turbulence will exceed light turbulence, the pilot-in-command shall immediately direct each flight attendant to
    • (a) discontinue duties relating to service;
    • (b) secure the cabin; and
    • (c) occupy a seat and fasten the safety belt provided.
  • (4) Where an aircraft is experiencing turbulence and the in-charge flight attendant considers it necessary, the in-charge flight attendant shall
    • (a) direct all of the passengers to fasten their safety belts; and
    • (b) direct all flight attendants to discontinue duties relating to service, to secure the cabin, to occupy the assigned seats and to fasten the safety belts provided and to do so oneself.
  • (5) Where the in-charge flight attendant has given directions in accordance with subsection (4), the in-charge flight attendant shall so inform the pilot-in-command.
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by mellon
well NZ has only 26 business class seats on its 777-200 plane, so its no surprise its hard to redeem a J award.
this might be a tough one to compete for AC, because NZ is 50% owned by the govt, profit "might" not be the #1 reason for all of NZ flights.
However awesome AC will add 20 more J seats to the mix, with its tourist 787-8
It's more that NZ doesn't release award space to partners - it's notorious for this. Not even in Y. You can find it but it's really hard.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Status match?
I doubt AC would status match within the same alliance.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Isnt this timed just as SYD and BNE are - to allow for connections?
I doubt this flight is aimed at the work flyer anyway who goes directly to work on arrival in AKL.

Question remains (aside from award availability) - who in their right mind would choose AC over NZ? (Y,PY or J)
*status chasers and die hard loyalist excluded I guess
No, SYD usually gets in earlier in the day, depending on the time of year. 8-9am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I mentioned the new AKL service to the excellent SD (Vincent) while on AC18 on approach from TPE.

He was speechless and shaking with excitement. Once he semi-regained his composure he rushed to share the news with his colleagues. He loves flying as much as we do--and has since he was a child.

30 years with AC yet he said sadly he has virtually no chance in bidding to work the inaugural 'celebration' flight as there are far more senior employees.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
If flying PE I concur 100%
J however, NZ has not kept up. Their bed is better for sleeping, but otherwise prefer AC's cabin layout and ability to recline seat to any position.
Assuming it doesn't deflate?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by lcohen999
No, SYD usually gets in earlier in the day, depending on the time of year. 8-9am
Well if AKL ever changes timezones, maybe AC can accommodate both YVR connecting traffic and those who want to go to work straight off the plane.

I would bet most people (who dont go straight to work) would prefer an 11am arrival to an 8am arrival when there is a better chance of having a ready hotel room.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Academic
But why would you fly AC if you could go with NZ?
Hmm. Toss up between opportunity to sit on a very likely broken seat, and extra time at the airport and onboard because of the chronic tardiness of flights. Who doesn't love sitting at the empty YVR departures gates with the shuttered shops and restaurants on a saturday night? One can pass the time making new friends with the waiting pax, right?
rankourabu and Symmetre like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Can't believe this took as long as it did to become publicly announced. Has been in the works for a very long time. I am a bit surprised AC only went 'half-in' with a 4x weekly, seasonal service; they had been talking about year-round, but perhaps like MEL (37/38) that will eventually increase. It currently suggests "we don't know what else to do with all these airplanes in the winter" rather than offering a meaningful service to business flyers or cargo shippers.

Originating as I do at YVR (and connecting beyond AKL), I'll still opt for NZ every time, especially with the Canada departure time as late as it is.

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
That says nothing about announcements being mandatory. It simply defers to the PIC or the FA using the term "...considers it necessary".
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
It's more that NZ doesn't release award space to partners - it's notorious for this. Not even in Y. You can find it but it's really hard.
My EF alert triggered last week for LAX-AKL 2xJ award seats for a trip in April. Its not as hard as you might think.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jjclancy

My EF alert triggered last week for LAX-AKL 2xJ award seats for a trip in April. Its not as hard as you might think.
I think the general malaise is due to a lack of (easy) availability on the YVR-AKL nonstop, but I do agree that award space is not as elusive on NZ as some seem to believe.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Any ideas what the cutoff date might be for seasonal service?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Academic
But why would you fly AC if you could go with NZ?
People rag on AC, but I've flown NZ a couple times and while it was nice, I wouldn't pay up for it over AC. If the prices are comparable, I would probably favor whichever I get more miles on.

NZ charges a TON for the flights to/from YVR, so I'm surprised it took this long for AC to get in on the act, but I guess they wanted to jump on Australia first. That said, what I don't get is what exactly they think they'll do with this. I supposed they'll route all their own traffic on to this flight rather than ever sending pax to NZ. But like a handful of months, a few days a week, while NZ is 7 or more flights a week...I don't really see any competitive advantage for AC.

I do kinda expect this grow though, almost all of these routes from YVR introduced in the past year or two clearly seem to be doing well, because they've all started like this and been up-gauged, or more days added, or year round service. The only ones that seem not to have are the European summer routes to CDG/ZRH/FRA.

As a YVR employee and obviously living here, I'm in favor of any new routes from any airlines here...as long as it's not just another Chinese carrier. What I'm BEGGING for is SOMEONE to fly to Central America, PTY makes the most sense, and CM makes the most sense especially with their MAX 9s being delivered. It seems the range is ok and I don't think it could support a widebody, but Aeromexico has made a good go of things here, I wanna see STAR jump on this and fly to a WAY better connecting airport in PTY and make getting to all of South and Central America much easier.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold
I fly to BNE and go directly to work. Did it this morning. Arrived at 8:15 am.
lcohen999 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.