Air Canada launches YVR-AKL route

Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by lsquare
Free doesn't mean it's good. Using that logic, I could say a highly rated airport like HKG have done their research and would offer a good free wifi experience for their customers. I was in HKG earlier this year and the free internet was not even usable for VOIP. Fortunately, I was able to buy a simcard after getting my luggage so it wasn't so bad.
Maybe @24left is saying that at least NZ doesn't charge for crappy wifi whereas AC (well, their vendor) does charge for crappy wifi. So that makes NZ better in that regard.
lsquare and 24left like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dunno, the free internet on Qatar is damn good....

Give it a couple years, free internet will be standard on all respectable airlines (and by 2040 on AC)
Yup.

Free doesn't mean it's good. Using that logic, I could say a highly rated airport like HKG have done their research and would offer a good free wifi experience for their customers. I was in HKG earlier this year and the free internet was not even usable for VOIP. Fortunately, I was able to buy a simcard after getting my luggage so it wasn't so bad.
Not sure what problem you were having. If nothing HKG and NRT, ICN, HND and TPE have fantastic free wifi. SIN is free and great, except you need the code for a couple of hours.

I've never had a wifi /internet issue in any of these airports.

And my point was about NZ and airlines offering wifi, not airports.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I dunno, the free internet on Qatar is damn good....

Give it a couple years, free internet will be standard on all respectable airlines (and by 2040 on AC)
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want it to be free, I absolutely would want to have free wifi on an airplane. LMAO on the 2040 part.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Yup.

Not sure what problem you were having. If nothing HKG and NRT, ICN, HND and TPE have fantastic free wifi. SIN is free and great, except you need the code for a couple of hours.

I've never had a wifi /internet issue in any of these airports.

And my point was about NZ and airlines offering wifi, not airports.
Don't get me wrong, I would want nothing more than good free wifi on any airline. It's just that from my experience, free wifi equals lousy experience. That's all. I do hope you're right and I'm wrong!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want it to be free, I absolutely would want to have free wifi on an airplane. LMAO on the 2040 part.
You already do, and on an always increasing amount of airlines. And you don't have to look far. Even AA and DL offer free messaging. And AA has an hour free using my TMobile.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You already do, and on an always increasing amount of airlines. And you don't have to look far. Even AA and DL offer free messaging. And AA has an hour free using my TMobile.
But free messaging isn't the same thing as having the complete web browsing experience right?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How will performance be when it's free for everyone? Forget the total bandwidth - just having 300+ devices connecting to the AP will cause other issues.
why would 300+ devices connect? Not everyone will be interested in wifi.

recent AirNZ experience on AKL-SYD and a domestic flight the wifi worked just fine - no one else around me appeared to be connected
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
why would 300+ devices connect? Not everyone will be interested in wifi.

recent AirNZ experience on AKL-SYD and a domestic flight the wifi worked just fine - no one else around me appeared to be connected
NZ is currently charging for wifi right?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
NZ is currently charging for wifi right?
free as far as I am aware, used to charge

​​​​​​https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/wifi
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I see that Aeroplan has Economy seats available for the Dec 2019 - Mar 2020 schedule. But no Premium Economy or Business. When do people think they'll release these?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by heinzr
I see that Aeroplan has Economy seats available for the Dec 2019 - Mar 2020 schedule. But no Premium Economy or Business. When do people think they'll release these?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

There was business available that was snatched up rather quickly by Aeroplan and *A members.

As new dates come out, you may be able to snag one.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

Also, AFAIK Premium Economy seats are not available to book on *A partners with Aeroplan, just AC.

Welcome to FT!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:12 pm

Thanks for this information. However, I've been checking for the past couple of months on Aeroplan and all I ever see are Economy seats. I was wondering if AC has ever released any Premium Economy or Business seats yet on this route?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

AFAIK? This flight is not a *A partner - it's AC flights AC51 and AC52?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:26 pm

Thanks for this information. However, I've been checking for the past couple of months on Aeroplan and all I ever see are Economy seats. I was wondering if AC has ever released any Premium Economy or Business seats yet on this route?
Again, yes. Business seats have been released and bookable through aeroplan. Not sure how you missed them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.