Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Booking with AMEX Plat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Booking with AMEX Plat

I've never use AMEX Plat to book flights before but would like to utilize my $200 credit.
Just wondering when booking Economy from the AMEX Travel website, does anyone know what class does their website give you? Basic, Standard or Flex? Is it "cheaper" to book via AMEX or just go directly to the AC website?

Edit: Have always booked via AC or from a work TA before.

Last edited by BRAISKI; Feb 26, 2019 at 7:55 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I've always just booked directly on the AC website or via the app. Then there are no questions about what you're getting.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:34 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I've always just booked directly on the AC website or via the app. Then there are no questions about what you're getting.
Yes but to use the Amex Plat travel credit you must book via Amex Travel.

I am returning from a trip where I did just this and it was booked into Standard according to the AC app. I remember prices being the same between what I saw on Amex and AC site. Fairly painless procedure and had no issues with rebooking during yesterday's IRROPS
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
A more efficient way to use it is to book a hotel through the Amex travel website, then cancel with the hotel directly once you've received the credit. You keep the credit and now have flexibility how you spend it.
ChrisA330 and Symmetre like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
A more efficient way to use it is to book a hotel through the Amex travel website, then cancel with the hotel directly once you've received the credit. You keep the credit and now have flexibility how you spend it.
But certainly not as ethical.
BRAISKI likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
The price on Amex travel is the same as AC website. If you want a particular fare (example Flex) then best to call and book.
I just did this. Also booked $900 worth of pre paid (Amex charges instead of paying at the hotel) hotel bookings for a $300 credit which effectively is a 33% discount. In some cases Amex is more expensive than booking directly with the hotel or expedia but the $300 credit more than offset a slightly higher charge.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Ya as much as I would like to try this approach would prefer not to do it. Unless maybe if I am desperate or running out of time. Don't want my file to be flagged.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
OP, I know you asked specifically about the Amex website, but I’ve found that the best way to ensure I’m ticketed in the exact fare I’m looking for is to call into the Amex PTS call centre.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Are AMEX agents generally able to understand what I want when I ask for a specific fare basis, which I'd presumably have to do to book e.g. Flex?

Asking because this sure isn't true with other TAs.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:37 am

I was doing a few segment runs at the end of 2018 and used the Amex site because I could get some "better" routings than what was available on the AC website. If you click on the fare details when doing the booking on the Amex website it'll bring up the fare basis, so you'll know if you're in Standard, Flex, etc.

I liked the Amex website, as it always gave me at least standard (unlike Expedia which would want to put me into Basic). I did quite a few segment runs to re-qualify for SE as I'd already hit the spend level, but not the number of segments, so Standard was typically all I needed, however there was 1 time where I booked the return in Comfort to be able to standby for an earlier return, and I booked Flex once. On those occasions I phoned into the Amex reservations line and they were pretty efficient at getting me the higher fare categories.

Originally Posted by D404
Are AMEX agents generally able to understand what I want when I ask for a specific fare basis, which I'd presumably have to do to book e.g. Flex?

As I mentioned above, I had no issue discussing Fare Basis with the agents I booked with. I'd have ITA Matrix open on my screen and was discussing the fare bucket and the fact that I wanted flex and/or comfort and they were able to navigate on their end. A few times it took them a while to find the same thing I did, but in the end it all worked out.

When I can't book directly through AC website, I book through Amex as I've found them to be quite competent and it's free as a Platinum Card holder (although admittedly, some agents were better than others, but I haven't had one not be able to give me what I was asking for).
D404 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I was doing a few segment runs at the end of 2018 and used the Amex site because I could get some "better" routings than what was available on the AC website. If you click on the fare details when doing the booking on the Amex website it'll bring up the fare basis, so you'll know if you're in Standard, Flex, etc.

I liked the Amex website, as it always gave me at least standard (unlike Expedia which would want to put me into Basic). I did quite a few segment runs to re-qualify for SE as I'd already hit the spend level, but not the number of segments, so Standard was typically all I needed, however there was 1 time where I booked the return in Comfort to be able to standby for an earlier return, and I booked Flex once. On those occasions I phoned into the Amex reservations line and they were pretty efficient at getting me the higher fare categories.
I routed some “scenic route” flights end of last year to run miles up through Amex too. I called in and they were able to book me on whatever fare basis I wanted. They were actually really good to deal with about it and knew their stuff.

Where can you see fare basis details on their website prior to booking? I have never been able to find that.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyckerr
.......Where can you see fare basis details on their website prior to booking? I have never been able to find that.
@yyckerr

I posted similar screen shots in another thread

Random summary page

Click "Economy - Comfort"

You get this window

Click "See complete fare rules"

See Fare basis code
yyckerr and BRAISKI like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by yyckerr

I routed some “scenic route” flights end of last year to run miles up through Amex too. I called in and they were able to book me on whatever fare basis I wanted. They were actually really good to deal with about it and knew their stuff.

Where can you see fare basis details on their website prior to booking? I have never been able to find that.
Apologies, I misspoke. On the Amex site the full fare basis isn't shown, but you can piece most of it together. When the screen comes up to show you your flight options, under each option there should be a "show/hide full details" selection. Pressing that button brings up additional information such as the fare bucket. To know the fare category, select the "fare rules" link under the "select" button and then scoll down in the fare rules to the "airport same day confirmed change fee" section and the description should start with the fare category you're selecting. The dummy booking I'm looking at starts with "FOR STANDARD -TG TYPE FARES...", If you were looking at a Flex, Comfort, etc. fare those fare categories would be shown there instead.

After booking, you can confirm everything via the Manage My Bookings on the AC website and cancel if incorrect.
yyckerr likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
OP, I know you asked specifically about the Amex website, but I’ve found that the best way to ensure I’m ticketed in the exact fare I’m looking for is to call into the Amex PTS call centre.
That would be my next step, if I have too. Just wanted to really confirm and check for others experiences, I just don't want to be blind sided and end up with a Basic fare.
ffsim likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by D404

I didn't have problem dealing with AMEX platinum agents using "advanced" ticketing terminology. Also as a full service TA they can hold tickets for days without payment (at least for CX, didn't need to do that when I bought AC tickets) etc.

For hotel bookings, if you need to change / cancel, you need to call either "online booking service desk" which serves the general public, or Platinum Travel, depending on where you booked. I suspect air tickets would be the same.
D404 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.