Wiki Posts
Search

Wind storm Yyz 2/24

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Wind storm Yyz 2/24

So what’s the betting line on irops for at Yyz 2.24. Will be on Ac 962 from ICN assuming my connecting flight makes it there on time. (Already delayed 1 hour). Hoping they can land on time or at least withIn an hour of that as mrs mapleg is picking me up at the airport. My gut tells me best have plan B.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
If your inbound to ICN departed before the storm hit, you're almost certain to land without too much fuss in YYZ. Longhaul arrivals are generally handled on time. Departures and connections at the storm-affected airport are a very different story.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:47 pm

Bolded line is the forecast if you're flight is on time.

Good news, wind is forecast to be close to straight down the runway.
Bad news, if there's much wind shear you could end up at the alternate.

FM241600 23020G35KT P6SM -SHRA OVC015 TEMPO 2416/2418 OVC025
FM241800 23030G55KT P6SM -SHRA BKN020 BKN040
FM242100 24030G52KT 2SM -SHSNRA BKN007 OVC015
FM242200 25028G50KT 3/4SM -SHSN BLSN VV006
FM250000 26026G45KT 2SM -SHSN BLSN OVC012
FM250300 26026G45KT 3SM -SHSN BLSN OVC020
FM251100 28028G50KT P6SM OVC025
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Heading to YYZ from YYC this afternoon. I bet chances are high I will be hanging out at the YYC lounge longer than expected.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AC S100K 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
YYC lounge will be a busy place today...we're on AC148 and hoping for only a 2 hour delay!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Landed an hour late (due to fog at ICN on departure). Landing was more or less normal.

What was unusual is how deserted the international baggage arrivals area was. I have never seen it that quiet at that time of day. There were zero people in front of me as you exit and hand your form to the customs staff. I mentioned how quiet it was and he said "Hundreds of flights have been cancelled today". (Don't think it was hundreds to be honest and obviously the domestic arrivals don't affect the international arrival area)
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Agreed, I was expecting a roller coaster. Pilot even warned us ahead of time of severe turbulence.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Here is how I knew it was serious:

AC118 clight crew did NOT want to collect the precious Executive Class headphones before landing. They left us all on our hono(u)r to leave at our seats like all other airlines.

Dogs and cats living together. Real wrath of God type stuff.

Our poor 789 was swaying at the gate as if getting hit by catering carts on opposite sides.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 24, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mapleg
Landed an hour late (due to fog at ICN on departure). Landing was more or less normal.

What was unusual is how deserted the international baggage arrivals area was. I have never seen it that quiet at that time of day. There were zero people in front of me as you exit and hand your form to the customs staff. I mentioned how quiet it was and he said "Hundreds of flights have been cancelled today". (Don't think it was hundreds to be honest and obviously the domestic arrivals don't affect the international arrival area)
@mapleg
Hey, sorry I missed you in the OZ lounge and sitting a couple of rows in front of me on AC 62. I counted quite a few empty seats as well.

Agree, landing did not seem different than any other with some winds. It was interesting when crew announced that captain was expecting some weather, they decided to serve the "brunch" earlier and secure the cabin.

And yes, it was weird to see no one at either immigration or in the baggage hall.

Hope to meet you in person on another flight.

P.S. What was really interesting was watching the fog roll in rather quickly in ICN and that the captain announced twice we'd be delayed departing.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:42 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Tagging into here instead of creating new thread, my DCA-YUL flight at 4pm was cancelled. I checked in yesterday, I usually buy direct from the airline except was using Amex Plat travel credit so booked via Amex Travel.

I can't use the online tool, I tried last night when I saw the weather. Amex says the flight is not cancelled on their system and I am checked in so they can't do anything.

I have a call back registered with AC customer service (they are understandably slammed), is it a stupid idea to go to DCA (I am in Georgetown so quite easy to get to via metro) to sort it out there or most probably a zoo there as well? Just trying to be proactive.

EDIT: got callback very quickly (hooray for French option!) everything sorted out for 1130 flight tomorrow morning. Says 1A and 1C on boarding pass in the app (but economy under QR code) but I think that may change tomorrow. Anyhow, quite satisfied as a non-status peasant at how this IRROP was handled.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Feb 25, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Wish I were flying domestic today either anywhere-YYZ or YYZ-anywhere. Many oversold flights, opportunity to make money
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
EDIT: got callback very quickly (hooray for French option!) everything sorted out for 1130 flight tomorrow morning. Says 1A and 1C on boarding pass in the app (but economy under QR code) but I think that may change tomorrow. Anyhow, quite satisfied as a non-status peasant at how this IRROP was handled.
Doesn't AC operate this route (DCA-YUL) with a CRJ-100/200? If so, 1A and 1C are economy seats as that aircraft does not have a J cabin.

Good to hear you were able to sort this out though!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:20 am

My own AC experience yesterday was also memorable. I was flying YOW-YYZ-ZRH-FCO in PY. Most YOW-YYZ flights were cancelled after the 0800 and until the 1600, with the sole exception of 455 at 1400 ... and that was the one on which I had booked, using 1e-up for the J cabin. Even before we left the gate the captain announced that it would be vey rough, and he was asking the flight attendants to remain seated for the entire flight. He wasn't kidding! So, I didn't get my usual scotch, but it didn't really matter given the bouncing. Made the connection handily in YYZ, but we had to de-ice, and this delay caused me to miss the much too tight connection in ZRH. On landing in Zurich, however, I turned on my phone to find two messages from Swiss: one with the details of my re-booking, and a tool to change the seat assignment (which i did), and the second with my new electronic BP. At the gate an AC agent handed me a printed copy of the BP, and a voucher for 31 SFr so that I could get breakfast. Not that I needed it as the lounge in ZRH is lovely, and includes a station where omelettes are cooked to order. If only the Swiss efficiency of AC in Zurich could become contagious somehow.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by torcellano
My own AC experience yesterday was also memorable. I was flying YOW-YYZ-ZRH-FCO in PY. Most YOW-YYZ flights were cancelled after the 0800 and until the 1600, with the sole exception of 455 at 1400 ... and that was the one on which I had booked, using 1e-up for the J cabin. Even before we left the gate the captain announced that it would be vey rough, and he was asking the flight attendants to remain seated for the entire flight. He wasn't kidding! So, I didn't get my usual scotch, but it didn't really matter given the bouncing. Made the connection handily in YYZ, but we had to de-ice, and this delay caused me to miss the much too tight connection in ZRH. On landing in Zurich, however, I turned on my phone to find two messages from Swiss: one with the details of my re-booking, and a tool to change the seat assignment (which i did), and the second with my new electronic BP. At the gate an AC agent handed me a printed copy of the BP, and a voucher for 31 SFr so that I could get breakfast. Not that I needed it as the lounge in ZRH is lovely, and includes a station where omelettes are cooked to order. If only the Swiss efficiency of AC in Zurich could become contagious somehow.
LX is the master at rebooking people. Whether you want them to or not. But yes they do decent omelettes. There's a joke there about omelettes and a bouncing flight I imagine.

Glad you made it, it doesn't seem that bad where I am.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
AC101 rejected takeoff today #cool
Windshear alert required them to abort takeoff roll.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.