Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Laptop left on AC flight that landed at FLL

Old Feb 22, 19, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K; SPG Plat

My mistake in leaving behind a one week old, $2000+ laptop under the seat on an AC flight from YYZ to FLL this morning.

I have filled up the online AC lost and found form.

1. Is there anything else I can do to be proactive and increase my chances of finding the laptop?

2. Does anyone have the phone number for the AC baggage office at FLL? Researching online it seems that if the laptop was "found" it would be stored in the baggage office. I am two hours away from FLL and wondering if there is any value in driving two hours right now to go and check.

Any and all tips would be super appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by rjatyyz; Feb 22, 19 at 3:52 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Feb 22, 19, 3:54 pm
5mm

Originally Posted by rjatyyz View Post
My mistake in leaving behind a one week old, $2000+ laptop under the seat on an AC flight from YYZ to FLL this morning.

1. Is there anything else I can do to be proactive and increase my chances of finding the laptop?

2. Does anyone have the phone number for the AC baggage office at FLL? Researching online it seems that if the laptop was "found" it would be stored in the baggage office. I am two hours away from FLL and wondering if there is any value in driving two hours right now to go and check.

Thanks
Phone the Concierge ASAP. They would be the best to help you. They have saved my butt a few times.
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:11 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by 5mm View Post
Phone the Concierge ASAP. They would be the best to help you. They have saved my butt a few times.
Could you provide the Concierge number for AC? Is that the same number as reservations?

I'm guessing you filled out this form

In any event, if you have your boarding pass you should have all the pertinent details you need to get that laptop found. In particular, I'd be sure to report:
  1. The Air Canada Flight #
  2. The origin and destination of the flight
  3. The date of travel and scheduled time of departure
  4. And last but certainly not least your Seat Number
Here are additional Air Canada numbers to consider
  • Air Canada Lost & Found at Fort Lauderdale Airport (call first) : 954-359-7619
  • Fort Lauderdale Airport General Phone Number (backup) : 1-866-435-9355
  • General Inquires 1 888 247 2262
Finally, I would also recommend Tweeting to @aircanada

Hope this provides marginal value.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
....Is that the same number as reservations?s
5mm likely posted that suggestion becuase OP's profile indicates SE100k. Otherwise concierge access is not available and # not postable online.

In addition to the #s j2simpso posted, consider calling:

Toronto lost and found Terminal 1 (ac) 905-676-3640.

While one would assume an item as big as a laptop would be found after deplaning, the airplane turned around back to YYZ so it may have been stowed on the plane or turned during boarding or after pushback.

Since it was a recent purchase, you should also find out if you have any theft / loss protection from your credit card issuer. They may require you to file a police report at a local police department during your trip to FLL.
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
The AC twitter team is great but they get information from the various departments. They couldn't help at all with my lost raincoat (<<<< laptop $) but were cheerful and encouraging (¯\_()_/¯)

Even if the lost and found in FLL airport has it, my bet is that AC will just give you the usual "we're looking for it and we'll let you know!" because they don't seem to call the airport lost and found. If it were mine, if I had not heard back on the finding of the laptop, I would drive to FLL and ask the SE check in person to call the lost and found and go personally there. While at the airport, if no luck, I would do the police report.

Don't suppose you activated anything like "find my computer"... (if you had, you wouldn't be here...) I additionally have a Tile in my laptop sleeve. Having lost my keys (WITH a War Amps tag), I've gone Team Tile.
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
When I did that I called the at YYZ I called the concierge and I had it back in my hands in under two hours.
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
Don't suppose you activated anything like "find my computer"... (if you had, you wouldn't be here...) I additionally have a Tile in my laptop sleeve. Having lost my keys (WITH a War Amps tag), I've gone Team Tile.
It doesn't help the OP (this time), but +1 to this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC*E

Thanks
I did almost the exact thing less than two weeks ago. I flew YYZ-SAN and left my 2-month-old laptop on the plane in the seatback pocket. This laptop is very light and thin so I didn't see it behind the magazines in Rouge Premium.

I figured out I had lost it after I enjoyed the wonderful weather in SAN and got to the hotel about 2 hours later. I first phoned AC and was told to fill out the "Lost Item Form". I asked for a contact number at the airport, and was given the Airport Lost & Found number which was not answered when I called.

I decided to enjoy the day and cycle to the airport about 5 km away. I went to the Air Canada check in area, but no one was there. The neighboring United Check-in told me to go down to luggage claim to see if someone there might know. On the way to luggage claim, I saw the Airport Lost and Found office. They told me that they only deal with items lost inside the airport and that each airlines will deal with items lost on their planes.

There was no one from AC in the luggage claim area. I tried calling AC again to see if I could get a number to contact in the airport, but was told again to fill out the form and that they would contact me if they found something. After staying around hoping something would happen with AC (but not thinking clearly that there are limited AC flights and I should have checked the arrivals and departure schedule), I returned to the hotel.

One more attempt with AC number didn't get me much further ahead, except to confirm that they had received the Lost Item Form. This person repeated that they would be in touch as soon as something was found, but did so more sympathetically than the first two.

The next morning, I received an email from AC that my computer had been located and was ready for me to pick up at the airport. They gave me specific hours which I happened to have missed the day before visiting the airport.

So I urge you to be patient, and hopefully honest cleaners will find it and turn it in.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, DL Slv, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, FPC Plat, SPG Plt, HY Glb, HH Gold, MR Plt, IHG Plt
A few months ago my brother flew yyc-yyz and accidentally left his laptop on the plane. He got it back later that day; too bad he wasn’t eligible to claim for the extra miles his laptop earned (I think that aircraft went to YYT and back).

ive heard a few other similar stories; laptops seem to be something that have a decent return rate so there is hope!
Old Feb 23, 19, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K; SPG Plat
Thanks everyone. Calling FLL AC lost and found with the number shared earlier did the trick. Twitter team was also very helpful and had sent them an email on my behalf. Truly wonderful service by AC

What I learned about the process that may help in the future:

If an item is discovered on the plane, it is handed to the gate agent and the gate agent then registers it in an internal AC system. After that the item will be sent to the local AC office, sometimes the baggage office or a dedicated lost and found AC office (this varies across airports depending on ACs operation in that airport)

Moreover, I also learned that the airports lost and found office does not accept any items lost on a plane.

Finally, I had followed the lost and found process on AC website and filled up the form. That form has been sending me automated emails saying my item has still not been located, although it has been. So, clearly something is broken in that process .

Thanks again
tcook052, expert7700 and monkai like this.
Old Feb 23, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: AC*SE
I had a similar experience yyz-tlv over the summer and was passed to electronic tracking system and never got my laptop back. Glad they found yours!
Old Feb 23, 19, 11:42 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
Moreover, I also learned that the airports lost and found office does not accept any items lost on a plane.
Tell that to my raincoat that spent a week in the basement of HKG. Not only that but it was the AC SE check-in agent who called that basement office and in less than a minute (after one week of "still looking" from AC lost item tracking) received confirmation it was there and sent me downstairs into literally the employee level. It was NOT AC lost and found because AC at this point was still claiming they had seen no evidence of the item despite me providing flight number, date, and seat number before the aircraft left on its next flight.

The lesson of the story: AC will tell you all manner of things, and you have to decide what is true and what is a message crafted to make you feel good and go away.

Last edited by flyquiet; Feb 23, 19 at 11:52 am Reason: add time frame
Old Feb 23, 19, 3:37 pm
k22

Programs: ACSE 100K 1MM
Left my jacket on plane (not returned to me at end of flight after leaving it with FA), reported it to Concierge on arrival, and got it back 5 months later delivered to my home in a beaten up cardboard box, but no worse for "wear". Apparently the colour of the jacket matched AC uniforms, and everyone assumed it belonged to a crew member. My jacket probably qualifies for a MM award.
Also, dropped a credit card on a flight in Mexico and learned about it next day when it seems I bought a pretty cool bicycle in a local Walmart.
Old Feb 23, 19, 7:30 pm

Programs: SE100K
Nice to hear. I left my Bose headsets on the plane and they never found them, so this is very helpful information.

Once in Beijing, I left my phone in the cab. The Super Elite woman called the cab company as I had my receipt, took me to a cab as the terminals in Beijing are 20 or so minutes apart, went with me in the cab, as he was waiting at a different terminal for a fare, had the cab driver find him. He had no idea as my phone was in the back seat. We found him, got my phone and then back to the terminal.

Then she basically (even though I am overseas all the time) went with me through security, customs and then up to the lounge.

To me, amazing. So, I like to think they try their best...?

Old Feb 23, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by tass View Post
I had a similar experience yyz-tlv over the summer and was passed to electronic tracking system and never got my laptop back. Glad they found yours!
Did you try calling AC local (TLV airport) number? The number listed on the TLV airport website are 03-6072111.

You may also have to call one of the ground handling companies contracted at the airport since items left on planes have been known to be forwarded on to them for security reasons:
  • QAS : 03-03-9754280/1
  • Laufer Aviation : 03-9754072
  • Aero Handling : 03-9754008
Hopefully these numbers will put you in touch with the right people. Here's for hoping for two laptop recoveries in one thread

-James