Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada LHR MLL for AC Guests Connecting to EW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

PSA (for those who weren't already aware): If you're flying an AC codeshare flight operated by EW from LHR to TXL, you cannot use any of the Star lounges (like LH) other than the AC MLL. Just arrived on AC856 and had to make the rather long trek from Terminal 2A to 2B to make use of this lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
TBH I'm a bit surprised you were allowed in the MLL too. Eurowings isn't part of star alliance, so you're not entitled to access. They do grant access to LH elites I believe. Much like Thai and Thai Smile.

Are you SE100k? Cuz that's the only reason of the top of my head that they'd allow you in the MLL, as an arriving passenger.

THIS is the problem I have with these codeshares and stuff though. It really bothers me that status members can buy a ticket from an airline website (not an OTA) and not get the benefits they're used to/expect. They usually don't come with a warning either in my experience. Like try buying a ticket from United to south east asia. If you do it right, you'll go with the JV partner ANA, but if you're not careful you end up flying SFO-SIN on UA then SIN-??? on Jetstar, which is not only not a star alliance member and thus no lounge, no miles etc. It's an LCC, so you can't even get a pepsi on board without paying for it, and it's rather cramped. They're not being dishonest, but they're also not transparent about it. AC does the same with BA/CX, try booking AC to JNB and for me it always tries to go YVR-LHR-JNB and it's never South African, always BA. A real piss off IMO.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
TBH I'm a bit surprised you were allowed in the MLL too. Eurowings isn't part of star alliance, so you're not entitled to access. They do grant access to LH elites I believe. Much like Thai and Thai Smile.

Are you SE100k? Cuz that's the only reason of the top of my head that they'd allow you in the MLL, as an arriving passenger.

THIS is the problem I have with these codeshares and stuff though. It really bothers me that status members can buy a ticket from an airline website (not an OTA) and not get the benefits they're used to/expect. They usually don't come with a warning either in my experience. Like try buying a ticket from United to south east asia. If you do it right, you'll go with the JV partner ANA, but if you're not careful you end up flying SFO-SIN on UA then SIN-??? on Jetstar, which is not only not a star alliance member and thus no lounge, no miles etc. It's an LCC, so you can't even get a pepsi on board without paying for it, and it's rather cramped. They're not being dishonest, but they're also not transparent about it. AC does the same with BA/CX, try booking AC to JNB and for me it always tries to go YVR-LHR-JNB and it's never South African, always BA. A real piss off IMO.
I am an SE100K, but I don't believe this was a one-time exception. Both the Senator Lounge agent who turned me away and the MLL agent who welcomed me in seemed to be aware of the situation and alluded to an "arrangement" that AC has here.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I believe it IS because of you're SE status. Pre SE status last year I was not admitted when I had an onward flight on EW. Same happened at CDG - no access to the Star lounge or any other for that matter.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
I was admitted a year and a half ago as an E50K originating at LHR, I did not seem to be an exception to the rules but things may have changed since then.

On the same itinerary I was also admitted to the LH Senator lounge in DUS but that was just because it was a public holiday in Germany and the lounge staff were feeling benevolent.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Flying any class of EW regardless of whether it's a codeshare or on EW stock grants you access to the LH *Gold lounge supposing you are either a UA, NH (source) Gold member. Sadly, this benefit does not extend to other airlines FFPs like AC. Something to keep in mind for us UA/NH elites who occasionally book our itineraries thru AC.

-James
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Having SE status never hurts. They don't want to have to explain to an SE why their 014 ticket booked on AC.com doesn't entitle them to access to the MLL at a connection airport.

They don't really want to have to explain it to anyone, but the higher your status, the more likely they are to just wave you in.

That being said, an AC flight number on 014 stock is going to be a very contentious argument under any circumstances, so I'm not surprised they'd let you in, regardless of any agreements.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Having SE status never hurts. They don't want to have to explain to an SE why their 014 ticket booked on AC.com doesn't entitle them to access to the MLL at a connection airport.

They don't really want to have to explain it to anyone, but the higher your status, the more likely they are to just wave you in.

That being said, an AC flight number on 014 stock is going to be a very contentious argument under any circumstances, so I'm not surprised they'd let you in, regardless of any agreements.
On top of that, I only ended up flying this routing instead of YYZ-FRA-TXL with FRA-TXL on LH because of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.