FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC872 2/17 77W Swap from 40J to 28J (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1956779-ac872-2-17-77w-swap-40j-28j.html)

capedreamer Feb 17, 2019 2:03 pm

AC872 2/17 77W Swap from 40J to 28J

Interesting situation for AC872 YYZ-FRA on 2/17 that may have affected a few folks here.

I booked this flight (en route to TXL) in E a couple weeks ago, at which point there were 15+ unsold J seats. EF has been showing J9 R0 since then. Checking in at T-24, I checked the upgrade standby list and saw 40 available, 26 booked. Later on, it became 27, 28, and then 29 booked, perhaps from earlier-confirmed OYB upgrades checking in or last minute purchases / upgrades. In any case, my chances looked pretty good.

This morning, I woke up to an unpleasant surprise: the upgrade list was now showing 28 available, 28 booked. I suspected (and later confirmed) that there was an equipment swap from the 40J 77W config to the 28J one. I ended up changing my routing to AC856 via LHR, which is currently showing 30 available, 19 booked, with me at the top of the list and 2 hours to boarding.

While the situation was not great for me, at least I was never confirmed in J. I was wondering what happened to that 29th "booked" person on AC872 mentioned above. I later found out at the YYZ Concierge office. A couple came in and revealed that both of them were booked in O and confirmed in J, only to have one of them involuntarily downgraded this morning. To make matters worse, there was a third passenger in their traveling party who paid for an LMU yesterday so they could all sit in J. So much for that.

Unfortunate situation, and I hope they are re-accommodated and / or compensated to their satisfaction, but just a useful reminder that unless you've paid for J (and sometimes even when you have!), there's always a chance you don't end up there, no matter how "certain" the upgrade outlook appears.

Anyone else in this boat?

YVR72 Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm

If you book a specific seat that exists on almost all widebody aircraft (from row 7 forward, and A, F or K) then you can minimize exposure to down-gauges. I have lucked out this way many times. In fact, recently I had 1A on a DH4 that was upgauged to a CR9 and ended up in business class (well, with economy service).

canadiancow Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by YVR72 (Post 30793458)
If you book a specific seat that exists on almost all widebody aircraft (from row 7 forward, and A, F or K) then you can minimize exposure to down-gauges. I have lucked out this way many times. In fact, recently I had 1A on a DH4 that was upgauged to a CR9 and ended up in business class (well, with economy service).

That's actually an interesting case. I'm envisioning something like YHZ-YOW-LHR on a J fare, but with an all-Y cabin on the first segment. If they upgauge to something with a J cabin, I'd expect the J fare pax to have absolute priority on those seats, even if they don't offer J service. Just because it was scheduled as all-Y doesn't mean no one paid for J.

leisurefly Feb 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Booked for AC872 next week, row 10 on a paid J(P) fare, hopefully they do not have the same issue then.

pitz Feb 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30794507)
That's actually an interesting case. I'm envisioning something like YHZ-YOW-LHR on a J fare, but with an all-Y cabin on the first segment. If they upgauge to something with a J cabin, I'd expect the J fare pax to have absolute priority on those seats, even if they don't offer J service. Just because it was scheduled as all-Y doesn't mean no one paid for J.

That's the case -- if you hold a J eligible fare (whether revenue or AP business class), a waitlist is constructed for J. If a J aircraft is magically subbed in, the J waitlist clears into J.

Happens occasionally on routes like YVR-YYJ where lots of people might travel overseas on a reasonably priced J fare, and they do a quick A320 turn to clean up a mess or to reposition an aircraft.

capedreamer Feb 19, 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by leisurefly (Post 30794712)
Booked for AC872 next week, row 10 on a paid J(P) fare, hopefully they do not have the same issue then.

If you're in a paid J fare, I think the chances of an involuntary downgrade would be VERY low. They'd start with all the eUpgrade, bid upgrade, LMU folks first.

leisurefly Feb 19, 2019 3:16 am

Yes EF show enough empty seats in the first seven rows to cover occupants of rows 8 thru 11