Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC & Star Fares/Partner Options to Asia/S.E.Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold

Had been waiting for an AC fare drop for a trip later this year Singapore, and nothing was happening - in years past I've been able to snag a good P fare on AC/Star (SQ or NH), or UA at this time of year.

Gave up and ended up booking on a SQ ticket instead. But this morning I saw a slight price drop on ITA, and investigated further and noted that when priced out directly from Air Canada.com, price for YVR - TPE - SIN - TPE - YVR was still @ $6,200.00. But when priced out as YVR - TPE - YVR on AC.com, and TPE - SIN - TPE on SQ.com, the total fare was ~ $4,300.00, after the conversion.

A bit of a head scratcher - I have seen price variances like this, but never this large?

Is this partly with the Star Alliance partners not playing nice?

Obviously you can join up the tickets/routing for checking a bag through, but I can't see any benefit to buy the one ticket directly on AC.com for the $2,000 premium?

Also of interest for another route that I was looking at for a separate booking, if it wasn't direct on AC, I only saw connections listed with Asiana. Meanwhile on google flights I noted available connections on NH, SQ, EVA. When I called in, the agent said they only saw the same Asiana options on their system.

In the past, I've seen times where NH was being highlighted, other times where Air China was, etc. Is there any rhyme or reason, or is it just a matter of one partner being the flavour of the month?

Is this there a trick/other way to get the agents to pull up the same flight combo's as listed on google flights/ITA Matrix?

Appreciate any feedback, and just looking to tuck away some knowledge for future bookings!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by doubleflier
Had been waiting for an AC fare drop for a trip later this year Singapore, and nothing was happening - in years past I've been able to snag a good P fare on AC/Star (SQ or NH), or UA at this time of year.

Gave up and ended up booking on a SQ ticket instead. But this morning I saw a slight price drop on ITA, and investigated further and noted that when priced out directly from Air Canada.com, price for YVR - TPE - SIN - TPE - YVR was still @ $6,200.00. But when priced out as YVR - TPE - YVR on AC.com, and TPE - SIN - TPE on SQ.com, the total fare was ~ $4,300.00, after the conversion.

A bit of a head scratcher - I have seen price variances like this, but never this large?

Is this partly with the Star Alliance partners not playing nice?

Obviously you can join up the tickets/routing for checking a bag through, but I can't see any benefit to buy the one ticket directly on AC.com for the $2,000 premium?

Also of interest for another route that I was looking at for a separate booking, if it wasn't direct on AC, I only saw connections listed with Asiana. Meanwhile on google flights I noted available connections on NH, SQ, EVA. When I called in, the agent said they only saw the same Asiana options on their system.

In the past, I've seen times where NH was being highlighted, other times where Air China was, etc. Is there any rhyme or reason, or is it just a matter of one partner being the flavour of the month?

Is this there a trick/other way to get the agents to pull up the same flight combo's as listed on google flights/ITA Matrix?

Appreciate any feedback, and just looking to tuck away some knowledge for future bookings!
@doubleflier
First, can you alert the mod to your subject line. Since you asking about Asia/SE Asia, and/or a specific destination, it would be helpful for those who search in the future to have a more detailed subject line. Thanks.

The issue of AC fares in general, TATL and TPAC and more specifically to destinations like SIN, BKK etc, were discussed a couple of times in the past few months and last year regarding the issue of pricing. You'll find informative posts on these prices by @Transpacificflyer and @Bartolo, among others.

I pointed out in those other posts, that AC now has the codeshare agreement with CX/KA and prefers to funnel pax onto their network. Oddly, sometimes their connections don't even show up on AC.com

Second, I also wrote that OZ seems to be AC's new BFF along with CA, and much less so any other *A partners like BR, SQ and especially TG.
This is also because AC signed a JV across the Pacific with CA.

A few of us also noted that AC has reduced the number of options on AC.com, where in the past, you'd even see connections with non *A and non CX/KA.

So that's the challenge you will have if you try to book most things on AC.com or with an AC agent. Many of us have been able to book with AC agents, tickets that included regional Asia on BR. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. The worst problems for me have been when the BR flight is coded with the AC flight # instead of BR's own. These tickets are often cheaper but they have their own problems. YMMV

As to high prices, AC agents once told me that the reason fares with AC to SIN connecting with SQ in places like HKG are so high, is because that is the fare SQ charges them.

I have no idea if that's completely true because as others here have also posted, you can buy AC to HKG and then SQ or other separately and it will sometimes be cheaper. IIRC, @Bartolo once posted that they were able to get a ticket from AC to HKG and on to SIN at a reasonable price. I gave up trying. I booked all of my SIN trips on CX directly. The one trip last year that was an AC ticket with partner connections on CX and OZ was fine but less seamless than a recent one with AC and BR (BR flight #), but it was fine. IIRC, a year ago, many were flying these tickets that were widely available on AC.com

GF will always have a wide variety of routing to SIN, for eg. that include AC to SFO and SE or UA onward, or AC to somewhere in Asia and NH, SQ, CA, BR, OZ onward. You may have to book those with a TA if AC can't sell them to you.

As others would say, there is no reason to pay $2,000 more for a trip issued on AC 014 if you can save the money and fly another airline or routing. I get that some want the earn AQD/AQM, theories don't care as much as it's not their money, everyone has their own reason.

Others here may have more info to offer you. Hope this helps.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
As others would say, there is no reason to pay $2,000 more for a trip issued on AC 014 if you can save the money and fly another airline or routing. I get that some want the earn AQD/AQM, theories don't care as much as it's not their money, everyone has their own reason.
I find it hard to believe someone buying $5k J tickets is struggling for AQD, and the AQM should be the same either way.

I suspect most people would do it because they don't realize splitting the ticket will save them money.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I find it hard to believe someone buying $5k J tickets is struggling for AQD, and the AQM should be the same either way.

I suspect most people would do it because they don't realize splitting the ticket will save them money.
Right, but OP seems to be and I know others as well. It's partly a function of schedule, where they need to be and when. After that, it might be AQD/AQM

Some of us have more flexibility, can fly other airlines and alliances (There are many happy to pay $3,400 and fly the BA/AY combo YYZ-LHR--HEL-SIN/BKK/HKG)

I know that SQ and CX on the HKG-SIN route are very expensive in J as it's a rich market for them and based on what I've read on the various SQ forums and in local media, there is still some loyalty to SQ and people will pay these fares. But that route is a commuter route no different than YYZ-YVR and between SQ, CX direct, TG and others with one-stop, and then non *A and all the LCCs, people are ore than happy to pay $200-$300 CAD for the 3hr 55 min hop

Forgot to mention, for some, TK is a viable option and their fares with a 10 hour stop in IST, are often much lower.

But when those travelling for biz need or want to get to Asia/ SE Asia in less time and with one cnx, well....
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
But doubleflier is talking about literally taking the same flights either way, just splitting the ticket. So it has nothing to do with connection time or schedule.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Interestingly Cow, I'm looking at SIN routes/costs for a trip in June. I have to buy 014 because despite AQM being no issue for me I actually do monitor and worry about AQD. If I had TPACs as often as I had TATLs then you're right, it wouldn't matter. I could just buy the most sensible ticket for SIN. I don't do enough TPAC though and TATL tickets are cheap as chips so the spend is a potential issue.

I'm probably stressing about nothing but until I KNOW that ticker is passing 20k I will buy 014 as often as feasible and even when it isn't really sensible.

I have no idea how I will manage to push this through Concur on AC stock but I have to find a way.

Point is, there are probably lots of us who have to buy tickets to SIN on AC for AQD purposes.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
@doubleflier
First, can you alert the mod to your subject line. Since you asking about Asia/SE Asia, and/or a specific destination, it would be helpful for those who search in the future to have a more detailed subject line.
Done, and thank you for the suggestion!

The issue of AC fares in general, TATL and TPAC and more specifically to destinations like SIN, BKK etc, were discussed a couple of times in the past few months and last year regarding the issue of pricing. You'll find informative posts on these prices by @Transpacificflyer and @Bartolo, among others.

I pointed out in those other posts, that AC now has the codeshare agreement with CX/KA and prefers to funnel pax onto their network. Oddly, sometimes their connections don't even show up on AC.com

Second, I also wrote that OZ seems to be AC's new BFF along with CA, and much less so any other *A partners like BR, SQ and especially TG.

A few of us also noted that AC has reduced the number of options on AC.com, where in the past, you'd even see connections with non *A and non CX/KA.

So that's the challenge you will have if you try to book most things on AC.com or with an AC agent. Many of us have been able to book with AC agents, tickets that included regional Asia on BR. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. The worst problems for me have been when the BR flight is coded with the AC flight # instead of BR's own. These tickets are often cheaper but they have their own problems. YMMV

As to high prices, AC agents once told me that the reason fares with AC to SIN connecting with SQ in places like HKG are so high, is because that is the fare SQ charges them.

I have no idea if that's completely true because as others here have also posted, you can buy AC to HKG and then SQ or other separately and it will sometimes be cheaper. IIRC, @Bartolo once posted that they were able to get a ticket from AC to HKG and on to SIN at a reasonable price. I gave up trying. I booked all of my SIN trips on CX directly. The one trip last year that was an AC ticket with partner connections on CX and OZ was fine but less seamless than a recent one with AC and BR (BR flight #), but it was fine. IIRC, a year ago, many were flying these tickets that were widely available on AC.com
Good to know, and I'll do some more review of the previous posts as mentioned. I must have missed that OZ is the current flavour of the month, and I did forget about the CA JV, albeit even in this case, those options were few and far between, with lots of OZ options.

I just assumed that the AC agents might be able to dig up a few options not presented on AC.com - I definitely understand that not all the options are always there, but there used to previously be some good NH options, and I have a soft spot for the ANA Lounge Noodle Bar and Automatic Beer dispensers in the NRT lounge

You may have to book those with a TA if AC can't sell them to you.
Done! With the help of a great TA from FT!

That's what I was thinking, and just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something in this case, if I hadn't already booked and was going to go down this route. The main item here was that I initially thought i needed to secure some additional AQD to retain status into next year, but this has now become a moot point, with some other travel in the next few months.

In this case, was trying to balance getting additional AQD for status, but certainly had hoped to try and get something @ $4K or less R/T.... but was willing to maybe look at a little extra on this trip to avoid a possible mileage run need late in the year.

Thanks again for the feedback, and additional background info - everytime I think I get a better handle on things, I realize there is still much to learn!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by doubleflier
.....Thanks again for the feedback, and additional background info - everytime I think I get a better handle on things, I realize there is still much to learn!
^

FT and AC FT are amazing communities full of many who want to and can help.......even if we're a noisy bunch.
And remember, there are ALWAYS options.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
@doubleflier
First, can you alert the mod to your subject line. Since you asking about Asia/SE Asia, and/or a specific destination, it would be helpful for those who search in the future to have a more detailed subject line. Thanks.

GF will always have a wide variety of routing to SIN, for eg. that include AC to SFO and SE or UA onward, or AC to somewhere in Asia and NH, SQ, CA, BR, OZ onward. You may have to book those with a TA if AC can't sell them to you.

Others here may have more info to offer you. Hope this helps.
As @24left points out, I did get a “reasonable” fare from SIN to YYZ via Hong Kong a few years ago. I’d been monitoring for some time and one way was usually >$6000 CDN. One of the many times I looked, it was about $3000. As soon as I purchased, it jumped back up to close to $7000. The codeshare on SQ was a 380. It was a tough route to get space on. It helped that I had a 25% code to use.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I had a similar issue for a flight in May, ended up booking YYZ-ZRH-SIN-ZRH-YYZ on AC and SQ, booked on LX ticket stock. $4k in business roundtrip.

Was about $2k cheaper than booking in SQ or AC, and at least I get AQD for a portion of the trip TATL.

IMHO, SIN is tough to get both good value and AQD.

T.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.