Wiki Posts
Search

Mixed Fares: App vs Site

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Mixed Fares: App vs Site

When I search YYZ to JNB using the AC app, I get lots of options around the $4,000 mark (round-trip). As far as I can tell from the app, they would be J for all four segments (let's say YYZ - LHR on AC and LHR - JNB on SA). There is no indication anywhere that they would be anything other than J.

When I search the same route using AirCanada.com, I get lots of options around the $4,000 mark (round-trip), but many of them are marked as being "mixed cabin" and warning that the LHR-JNB leg (and return) would be in economy.

Should I assume the app simply doesn't have the ability to tell me that one of the legs would be in economy and that I'd only know once the ticket is issued and I see that it's not fare class P or similar? Or is it possible the app can somehow get me in J where the site can't?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:24 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Dates?
AC is awful with code-shares in allocating a business seat
If you book the actual SA flight numbers you might get the space you need
or look to LX/LH via their gateways
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Dates?
AC is awful with code-shares in allocating a business seat
If you book the actual SA flight numbers you might get the space you need
or look to LX/LH via their gateways
Ideally I'd like to book via AC to get the AQD.

Dates: Mid to end of July. So July 26 - August 1 or so. Leaving YYZ Friday, leaving JNB the following Thursday.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I called the call centre today to ask.

Essentially, if you book via the app, there is no indication that some of the flights may be mixed cabin, which means the codeshare flights may well be booked into high economy rather than business. You'd have no way of knowing until after you book. Even then, you'd have to notice it on your ticket/receipt once it's emailed to you.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You also have 24 hours to cancel.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
True, but it's crazy to have to account for that. One would assume if it's a mixed cabin ticket you'd be told so up front.

Another AC IT marvel.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
True, but it's crazy to have to account for that. One would assume if it's a mixed cabin ticket you'd be told so up front.

Another AC IT marvel.
Feel free to fact-check me on it, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to see if it's a mixed fare AND no way to see what fare class you've booked within the app.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Feel free to fact-check me on it, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to see if it's a mixed fare AND no way to see what fare class you've booked within the app.
Oh no, I'm sure what you're saying is correct. I'm just amazed is all.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Correct, but I was about to book using a Promotion Code. If I have to cancel, I can't re-use it.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Ideally I'd like to book via AC to get the AQD.

Dates: Mid to end of July. So July 26 - August 1 or so. Leaving YYZ Friday, leaving JNB the following Thursday.
You need P class to show up on the AC code share numbers.
Fare to find for 26th out of Toronto/27th out of Europe
your return looks sorta open
Maps to D class on South African, which you can book itself without a problem
with a base of of 2827$ it might not be the worst thing to lose the promo code (assuming it even works with a South African code share) and just book the dates you want

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.