Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

February 14th 2019 - AC1796 - Thumbs up! (or not)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

I wanted to share with everyone my adventures travelling on AC yesterday. A simple PBI-YYZ-YQB itinerary that was supposed to take 6.5 hours actually turned into something close to 14.5 hours thanks to a cascading series of more or less related unfortunate events.

I was scheduled to fly the following itinerary:
AC921 PBI-YYZ 12:00-15:05
AC1796 YYZ-YQB 16:55-18:26

I showed up at the airport in PBI under sunny skies and checked in without incident. Our inbound landed late (what's new?) and we eventually departed 15 minutes late and were scheduled to land 39 minutes late. No big deal, my layover in YYZ was long enough and I was confident I would make my connection.

But then something happened to the plane that was supposed to operate my YYZ-YQB sector and that bird apparently went mechanical while I was flying in blissful ignorance on AC921. When I landed in YYZ and turned off airplane mode, I was flooded by a series of delay notices for my AC1796, with the latest departure time posted at 20:20, which would get me in YQB at 22:02. Oh well, it's winter, these things happen. Feeling sorry not to spend the evening with my better half and my daughter, I went up to the MLL to enjoy a few adult beverages.

Disappointed with the food selection (I am still so naive), I ended up going back down to have some proper food at Mill Street. Yummy, highly recommended. At 19:45, I made my way to gate D44 to board the 20-years old Rouge 319 that was supposed to take me home. As I was walking, I looked up where that plane came from and was actually suprised to realize it had just landed from LIR and was thus parked somewhere at an E gate. Sure enough, there wasn't any plane at my gate. At 20:20, which was still the posted departure time, GA announced that we were entitled to compensation and to come get a form at the podium. She had no idea what the comp would be, we would just have to request it online tomorrow. Ok. While she was busy handing out the form (and thus distracting passengers), the board updated the departure time to 21:20.

At that time GA came back on the microphone to announce that the delay was due to the fact that the plane was still parked at an international gate and that there were no tow tractors available to move the aircraft. The plane was eventually pulled to the gate and crew boarded at about 20:50. Boarding was complete at 21:20 and we just sat there for a while. Then, at 21:30, I received another delay notice, pushing back our departure time to 22:15. A maintenance guy boarded as apparently there was an issue with the lavs. At 22:00, we learned that lavs are fine and they just need to run some diagnostics before we leave. We eventually pushed back after a few minutes and taxied to the runway.

As we were holding short of the runway and I was settling in for a nap, I saw the back galley FA get up, pick up a first aid kit in a bin over the emergency exit and head to the front of the plane. All FAs immediately unbuckled and closed the curtain so it was obvious something was up. At 22:26, we are told that a crew member suffered an injury and that we needed to head back to the gate to meet with paramedics and offload him. After what must have been the slowest taxi ever, we were back at our initial gate, it was now 22:46.

Now of course we cannot just leave missing a FA so we just sat there for a while without information. Some people got up and left the plane. We eventually heard that the injured FA actually broke his thumb, or bruised it badly, while settling in his jumpseat before takeoff. At 23:00, we were told they found a reserve FA and that he was on his way and that he should be here any minute now. 15 minutes later, still no FA and people were getting restless, some of them starting to yell at the crew, demanding information, water and snacks. At that point I was starting to get worried about a potential cancellation and crew timing out so I started to look for alternative ways to get home. Apparently, the reserve FA had been reassigned somewhere else and we were now waiting for another FA that was coming from a TPA flight. So we needed to wait for her to deplane, clear customs and walk all the way to our gate.

If all of this wasn't stressful enough, there were multiple Amber alerts going off on passengers' phones at that time. You can imagine how this just made people even more stressed out and impatient. At about 00:00, I managed to speak with the captain and he assured me they would not time out. The captain also told me the TPA FA would be on board in 5 minutes.

The new FA boarded at 00:10. Amber Alerts still blaring on phones at random intervals. We finally pushed back at 00:20 and took off at 00:35. Full lights were left on for pretty much the duration of the flight to allow passengers to enjoy a complementary beverage and snack service - how thoughtful. We landed at about 2:00, over 7.5 hours later than the original scheduled time.

So this morning I eagerly went online to fill out the little compensation form, curious about what I would get. Anyone wants to venture a guess?

Last edited by jasdou; Feb 15, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
15% and a thank you for being a valued air canada customer.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amber alert was about an 11 years old girl missing who was eventually found dead killed by her father. Sad story and a well justified alert.
nancypants, arf04 and Plumber like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Amber alert was about an 11 years old girl missing who was eventually found dead killed by her father. Sad story and a well justified alert.
I am not questioning the value of Amber alerts at all. Being a father myself I am very sympathetic in fact. I was just just stating that this was contributing to a heightened stress and anxiety level in the cabin.
24left, lallied and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by jasdou; Feb 15, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou

I am not questioning the value of Amber alerts at all. Being a father myself I am very sympathetic in fact. I was just just stating that this was contributing to a heightened stress and anxiety level in the cabin.
Not claiming you did. But context: apparently quite a few people in Ontario got upset about the alert waking them up, according to news reports.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Given your "more to come" statement last night I was looking forward to hearing what had actually happened.

Turns out I was actually in the air before you. Wow.

That just sounds like one of those travel days where every possible thing can go wrong. It sucks. Very little of it sounds like ACs fault though, and you'll see that they agree when they give you a 15% code as an "apology".
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:08 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
A well written post about an unpleasant experience.

The one thing I learned is that I guess FAs with two functional thumbs must be part of the MEL. Who knew?
24left likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
A well written post about an unpleasant experience.

The one thing I learned is that I guess FAs with two functional thumbs must be part of the MEL. Who knew?
I had a brief chat with the injured FA. He told me he considered not saying anything until we landed in YQB to avoid delaying the flight further but then thought it was smarter to deal with this now rather than face potential complications in the air. I have to agree that was the right call to make.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jasdou

I had a brief chat with the injured FA. He told me he considered not saying anything until we landed in YQB to avoid delaying the flight further but then thought it was smarter to deal with this now rather than face potential complications in the air. I have to agree that was the right call to make.
For sure that was the right call.

My kidding aside, this stuff only gets worse and nobody should tough it out if they don't have to.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Most AC FAs would see a bulging thumb and declare it possible Plague, so of course he DBed himself.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Very well-written summary of events.
There is one thing I noticed: the incoming aircraft to be used for YYZ-YQB was AC1735/LIR-YYZ. That flight was not originally scheduled to land in YYZ until 6:55pm, and if that aircraft was scheduled to be used for YQB, then it's obvious that all passengers on AC1796 would be delayed, under any circumstances.

Q: when did AC know that AC1735 would be used for AC1796? If it was before the OP departed from PBI, why was that information not communited to the OP?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jazzsax
typo. you mean 15% of 1%

//Tried using a 15% off code today for various PY round trips, all around $1500usd.
Tokyo: deducts $20 (!)
China: deducts $109
Taiwan: deducts $220
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
typo. you mean 15% of 1%

//Tried using a 15% off code today for various PY round trips, all around $1500usd.
Tokyo: deducts $20 (!)
China: deducts $109
Taiwan: deducts $220
Just go to Taiwan then.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Very well-written summary of events.
There is one thing I noticed: the incoming aircraft to be used for YYZ-YQB was AC1735/LIR-YYZ. That flight was not originally scheduled to land in YYZ until 6:55pm, and if that aircraft was scheduled to be used for YQB, then it's obvious that all passengers on AC1796 would be delayed, under any circumstances.

Q: when did AC know that AC1735 would be used for AC1796? If it was before the OP departed from PBI, why was that information not communited to the OP?
Not sure when AC knew, but I learned that the LIR plane would operate our flight when I landed from PBI. At that time, a departure time of 20:20 had already been posted.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jazzsax
And we have a winner. A very restrictive 15% discount was offered.

Now I am debating whether I should write in or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.