Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Missed AC flight on NH Award ticket, open jaw of Round the World

Missed AC flight on NH Award ticket, open jaw of Round the World

Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
That why I booked my RTW as separate one-ways. Miss a flight ? I will only lose a one way ticket, not the whole trip's flights
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
That why I booked my RTW as separate one-ways. Miss a flight ? I will only lose a one way ticket, not the whole trip's flights
So you pay twice the cost?

My last was SFO-ICN, ICN-BKK, BKK-FRA, FRA-SFO.

That was 215k miles in F. But ICN-BKK was all J.

As one ways, that's 105k + 40k + 110k + 70k = 325k

One of the main benefits of Aeroplan is the minirtw, and you're basically throwing it in the trash.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mistake of the poster made is, he was counting on the ULCC as a connection flight without leaving enough room for irrop - had he booked it as arrived enough early or even a day early for his YYZ-EU flight, then the delay of the ULCC arrival would not have much of an impact.

He is extremely lucky that the AC flight also delayed for departure so he has made it. Otherwise the potential outcome would NOT be pretty.

AC has no obligation to rebook him because he is not directly connected to the AC flight which is the first flight after the OJ.

Finally NO, he is absolutely NOT clear on why he missed the flight after the OJ because how he arrived for the next flight after the OJ, would make a lot of difference.

Very likely arriving from a Star Alliance flight, AC might be more accommodating. Arriving from an ULCC? might be an uphill battle.

If the AC is not delayed so he has made it, very likely the whole rest of the itinerary would be canceled by the system. tough luck for planning it so close to the limit. You dont do this when you are traveling on separate tickets.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Very likely arriving from a Star Alliance flight, AC might be more accommodating. Arriving from an ULCC? might be an uphill battle.

If the AC is not delayed so he has made it, very likely the whole rest of the itinerary would be canceled by the system. tough luck for planning it so close to the limit. You dont do this when you are traveling on separate tickets.
Hypothetically speaking, what if he had booked the standalone segment on AC as well? Would they have made an accommodation given it was an NH ticket?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Hypothetically speaking, what if he had booked the standalone segment on AC as well? Would they have made an accommodation given it was an NH ticket?
He probably would stand a better chance if his incoming flight was an AC - he might even be able to ask the crew onboard if they could communicate to the ground about his situation.
I had experienced a Med Evac diversion on an CX HKG-LAX flight that redirected to SFO. The CX crew onboard were able to send a message to CX LAX alerted them this and they in turn let AS, my LAX-SEA flight, know about that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.