Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Matching up aircanada.com fares with ExpertFlyer availability and fare basis codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Matching up aircanada.com fares with ExpertFlyer availability and fare basis codes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to match up what shows as available through ExpertFlyer and what I can actually book on aircanada.com.
I've searched at length for more information here and elsewhere, and haven't been able to find sufficient info so it's time to ask for help.

I'm flying YYZ-ATL:
- Departing May 21 AC7544 (J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R8 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A9 K9)
- Returning May 22 AC7557 (J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R8 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A2 K0)

Fare basis codes include:
A21S1TG (validated), Round-Trip, $338, expires June20, adv purchase 21 days
A21Q1TG (validated), Round-trip, $368, no expiry, adv purchase 21 days <-- this is the closest to the lowest expedia.ca fare (K departure, A return -> $373 for flight or $507 total)
L21S1TG (not validated), $402, expires Feb28, adv purchase 21 <-- this matches what you can book through aircanada.com (K departure, L return -> $402 for flight or $548 total) but isn't validated(?!)L14Q1TG (validated), Round-trip, $558, no expiry, adv purchase 14 days
Question 1: Why can't I book A class for return on aircanada.com, even though it appears to have spaces available? (A2)

Question 2: Why can't I book the lowest A class fare basis code through aircanada.com? (e.g. A21S1TG for $338; fare rules here: https://pastebin.com/cbEjbb2y )

Question 3: Is the A fare likely available through Expedia because they pre-purchased a block of seats, or because they're able to book the A fare directly?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Did you search EF for round trip or two one-ways? Could be a point of sale issue if you did one-ways, i.e. A fare may available if your PoS is ATL but not YYZ. If you buy a round trip from ac.com, the PoS is YYZ for both.

I don't know how Expedia deals with PoS.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have wondered the same thing about some fares I see on EF-- then I usually find something buried in the rules...

Dis you see this in the Conditions?...

CAPACITY LIMITATIONS
CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS
CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY
RULES MAKING REFERENCE HERETO AND SUCH FARES
WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS
OPERATED BY THE CARRIER. THE NUMBER OF SEATS
WHICH THE CARRIER SHALL MAKE AVAILABLE ON A
GIVEN FLIGHT WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE CARRIERS
BEST JUDGEMENT AS TO THE ANTICIPATED TOTAL
PASSENGER LOAD ON EACH FLIGHT.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

That's very interesting, thank you for the info.

All of my searches were round trip.

Redoing it now:
AC return shows YYZ->ATL $244 and ATL->YYZ $304
AC one-ways show YYZ-ATL $244 and ATL->YYZ $262

Any idea why this would happen?
And/or why I wouldn't be able to book the round-trip fare basis codes?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Yes, Plumber -- that is included in the fare rules.
Does that mean they are disallowing fares on some basis that we can't know given fare class availability?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by hypoxia
Yes, Plumber -- that is included in the fare rules.
Does that mean they are disallowing fares on some basis that we can't know given fare class availability?
That is how I am reading it, I don't see any other restrictions in the fare rules as to why that CAD$338 fare would not be available to you.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:56 am

1. Is your currency correct? EF defaults to USD and AC.com (Canada) is CAD. So fare difference might be due to you forgetting to put the correct currency in
2. Are you POS correct? US availability and Canadian availability can differ.
3. Did you leave the validate fare box checked? Just because a fare is published doesn't necessarily mean that it valid or applicable to your trip.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
1. Is your currency correct? EF defaults to USD and AC.com (Canada) is CAD. So fare difference might be due to you forgetting to put the correct currency in
2. Are you POS correct? US availability and Canadian availability can differ.
3. Did you leave the validate fare box checked? Just because a fare is published doesn't necessarily mean that it valid or applicable to your trip.
Yes to all of the above when I checked. And i see same prices at the OP.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
@hypoxia
Have you tried to search on Air Canada US website? AC7557 @ May 22 shows
Code:
Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L8
at Canadian POS while
Code:
B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A1
at U.S POS, may be this is the reason?
I tried to price it in A class and get C$480.82 all in with fare rule A21S1TG.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
I am looking for some advice from those who may be more knowledgeable with ExpertFlyer (EF) and AC reservations. On a few occasions now, EF will display P>0 on a particular AC flight; however, when trying to book via the AC call centre, I am told that only Z (or higher) is available. This is for a single AC segment (no married segments at play) and there is definitely a valid P-fare basis available for the selected route/date(s). I believe there may be a fare origin (or Point of Sale) issue at play, but I cannot replicate the same availability on EF. Here is an example:

YYZ->MUC on AC863 on 7 Sep 2023. EF shows P9 irrespective of the PoS (Canada or Germany) and irrespective if searched as a direct or round-trip either Canada or Germany as the origin.

If I try to book a round-trip YYZ->MUC->YYZ on AC.com, P is offered on AC863 with the outbound on 7 Sep (a return flight was chosen >14 days later). If however, I try to book MUC->YYZ->MUC, with the YYZ->MUC segment being on the exact same AC863 on 7 Sep, only a Z fare is offered on AC.com (which was also confirmed by the AC call centre agent). Again, there is a valid P-fare basis available for both directions for the dates chosen, as other flights/routing offered P-class on that day including the direct codeshare on LH.

Does anyone know what is at play here when the reservation system restricts the fare bucket on the same flight, based on its inbound vs. outbound status? Is there anyway to get EF to replicate what I am seeing on AC.com? I did play with the routing and PoS on EF, but it did not change the results (showed P9 in all cases). I have now been frustrated a few times trying to book a complex itinerary, only to find out that one segment doesn't have the same availability shown by EF.

Last edited by YOW_RTW; Oct 31, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
Does anyone know what is at play here when the reservation system restricts the fare bucket on the same flight, based on its inbound vs. outbound status? Is there anyway to get EF to replicate what I am seeing on AC.com? I did play with the routing and PoS on EF, but it did not change the results (showed P9 in all cases). I have now been frustrated a few times trying to book a complex itinerary, only to find out that one segment doesn't have the same availability shown by EF.
I think this may be a case where availability of the fare (not the fare class) depends on availability in another fare bucket. I don't see it in the fare rules anywhere, but searching other date combinations around your September 7 date (with a MUC-YYZ a couple weeks before in August), it looks consistent that if availability in the A bucket is 2 or greater, the P fare you're seeing on other dates, and on the LH flight, is available. If it's A1 or A0, it's kicking it up to Z.

Illustration:
  • Outbound August 18, return September 7: AC836 is A1, prices in Z
  • Outbound August 17, return September 6: AC836 is A6, prices in P
  • Outbound August 19, return September 8: AC836 is A0, prices in Z
  • Outbound August 16, return September 5: AC836 is A2, prices in P

I'm not going to list them all, but I tried this for about 10 different dates and it seemed pretty consistent.

@D582 often has good insight on this kind of stuff.
kalderlake and YOW_RTW like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 31, 2022 at 5:08 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW

AC manages inventory on an origin-destination basis, and also based on the entire journey.

You see P>0 when you search for both segments individually, however once you book a P seat on an outbound flight (say 24AUG MUCYYZ), AC has now decided that P will no longer be offered on your return. ExpertFlyer cannot help here because it does not construct a PNR and cannot do a complete journey search for availability.

If you see below, seats are P9 on both directions. However once I add a P seat to the PNR on the outbound, it is now P0 for the return.

Code:
Air Availability MUC - MUNICH > YYZ - TORONTO Thu, 24 Aug

1 AC 837 MUC - MUNICH --> YYZ - TORONTO 789 8h 45min J9 C9 D9 Z9 P7 R4 O9 E6 A0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W0 S0 T0
Air Canada 24AUG, 11:50 24AUG, 14:35 L0 K0

NO MORE - 1* FOR DIRECT/CONX

1R07SEP«

Air Availability YYZ - TORONTO > MUC - MUNICH Thu, 07 Sep

1 AC 836 YYZ - TORONTO --> MUC - MUNICH 789 7h 50min J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R0 O9 E8 A1 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9
Air Canada 07SEP, 17:55 08SEP, 07:45 L9 K9

1R24AUG«

Air Availability MUC - MUNICH > YYZ - TORONTO Thu, 24 Aug

1 AC 837 MUC - MUNICH --> YYZ - TORONTO 789 8h 45min J9 C9 D9 Z9 P7 R4 O9 E6 A0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W0 S0 T0
Air Canada 24AUG, 11:50 24AUG, 14:35 L0 K0

01P1«

BOOKING STATUS: SEGMENTS ADDED TO PNR

1 AC 837 MUC - MUNICH --> YYZ - TORONTO P SS1
Air Canada 24AUG, 11:50 24AUG, 14:35

1R07SEP«

Air Availability YYZ - TORONTO > MUC - MUNICH Thu, 07 Sep

1 AC 836 YYZ - TORONTO --> MUC - MUNICH 789 7h 50min J9 C9 D7 Z2 P0 R0 O9 E5 A0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T0
Air Canada 07SEP, 17:55 08SEP, 07:45 L0 K0

Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Thank you both for your reply and insight. Much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.