Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Mixed fare question (PE / J) to Asia

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G

Good morning,

I'm trying to book a somewhat complicated itinerary to Asia and was hoping to source some feedback on the best way to book this and if I am getting the best price. Some people on FT seem to be really good at this

This is what I am looking to book:

June 7th - YOW - YUL - YVR (B)
June 10th - YVR - NRT (N)
June 27th - ICN - YVR - YUL - YOW (P)

Basically I would like the whole itinerary in J, but it is pricing out at $5k+ which is a bit cost prohibitive. So I decided one way in PE (the daytime flight) and return in P. This prices out to ~$3900 on Matrix.
Air Canada seems to book domestic legs into B (latitude) if I am booking PE on the international legs. This is great since I can use eUpgrades and confirm right away.

I do need the stop in Vancouver as I have a meeting there on the Friday, but returning is more flexible - it could be via YYC or YYZ or ??? that is cheaper.

So - 2 questions :
1) Is it cheaper to place only ICN-YVR in P and YVR-YUL-YOW in B/Y or will it make no difference? I have credits I could use for those legs. Matrix doesn't seem to want to price this out for me.
2) What is the best way to book this? I can get the multi-city tool to price out PE. Should I do this and call in to upfare the ICN-YVR segment? I have a discount code that I am trying to use
3) Could I get a better price through a TA?

Thanks all. I appreciate any input.

Cheers!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
For the AC multi-city tool, you need to select the class of service for the whole trip, so that doesn't work.

I would get all the flights I want and then call AC and have them price out the whole itinerary for you. There is no charge for them to do that.

Remember that the DOM legs will book into B when booking PE, only if there is no PE on the flight (otherwise it will book into PE). Also, for that to happen, you may need to book YOW-NRT in PE, and then you will get some legs in B. But if you book YOW-YVR/ STOP/ YVR-NRT (as you are proposing), I am not sure it will price out in the way you want.

Let us know how you manage this.
24left likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I can answer a few of these.

1. You can always call a TA. And yes, I have not found a way to price J/Pe on multi-city on AC.com. Others here may have a better answer (and see @Plumber's post above)
2. I've bought J-PE and PE-J. It depends on the price of the J and PE sectors. If, for e.g.. the YYZ-Asia (direct or via YVR) is decent enough, but the return is insane and PE is reasonable, I buy that combo.
3. If you buy PE and your Dom or transcon sector is on a narrow body that of course doesn't have PE, it books into B. (Kind makes sense since they both earn 125%. Keeps it simple).
4. Read the fare conditions and rules careful. Most restrictive rules apply to the entire ticket.
5. In general, right now, AC is pricing J to destinations like HKG, NRT, ICN, TPE and HND at insane levels....because they can. Either they know the Americans and others will buy, or they have set the bar based on aspirational goals. Whatever works.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
Also, for that to happen, you may need to book YOW-NRT in PE, and then you will get some legs in B. But if you book YOW-YVR/ STOP/ YVR-NRT (as you are proposing), I am not sure it will price out in the way you want.
So the multi-city tool is giving me the following right now :

YOW - YUL (B)
YUL - YVR (B) [Stop]
YVR - NRT (N)
ICN - YYZ (N)
YYZ - YOW (B)

I would prefer to go from ICN - YVR since I would like to be on the 787, but it is not an absolute requirement.

My thought was to book something like the above, call in and ask to upfare ICN - YYZ. The fare rules state that there is no change fee for an upfare to P/D/Z/J.

I could also call in, but I don't think I can use a discount code over the phone, right?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
I can answer a few of these.

1. You can always call a TA. And yes, I have not found a way to price J/Pe on multi-city on AC.com. Others here may have a better answer (and see @Plumber's post above)
Thanks! Can you suggest a travel agent in YOW? I've never used a TA before - I've always booked direct or via Expedia when they offered good flight / hotel deals.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by dr_torch

YOW - YUL (B)
YUL - YVR (B) [Stop]
YVR - NRT (N)
ICN - YYZ (N)
YYZ - YOW (B)

I would prefer to go from ICN - YVR since I would like to be on the 787, but it is not an absolute requirement.

My thought was to book something like the above, call in and ask to upfare ICN - YYZ. The fare rules state that there is no change fee for an upfare to P/D/Z/J.

I could also call in, but I don't think I can use a discount code over the phone, right?
Understood... You are getting those B fares because you have asked the whole itinerary to be priced in PY Lowest.

Like @24left, I have sometimes booked J to Asia and PE home (this coming weekend in fact), but it was not done with the multi-city tool.

I like your idea of booking it and then call to upfare it. At worst you cancel the whole booking within 24 hours of you dont like what you are being offered.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

I like your idea of booking it and then call to upfare it. At worst you cancel the whole booking within 24 hours of you dont like what you are being offered.
Indeed. If things do not go well then I can cancel. It will be the end of next week - still finalizing dates with my partner. But I will update this thread.

I still think perhaps I need to find a good TA ... I spend a lot of time booking flights (although I do get joy out of finding good deals and interesting routings!)
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

I.....I still think perhaps I need to find a good TA ... I spend a lot of time booking flights (although I do get joy out of finding good deals and interesting routings!)
@dr_torch
Sent you a PM with name of a TA, rest of my replies will follow here

YOW - YUL (B)
YUL - YVR (B) [Stop]
YVR - NRT (N)
ICN - YYZ (N)
YYZ - YOW (B)

Yes

Understood... You are getting those B fares because you have asked the whole itinerary to be priced in PY Lowest.

Like @24left, I have sometimes booked J to Asia and PE home (this coming weekend in fact), but it was not done with the multi-city tool.

Agree on all points. As mentioned elsewhere, I bought a few J-PE combos. I've upgraded a couple of the PE sectors and upfared others. All depends.

Thanks! Can you suggest a travel agent in YOW? I've never used a TA before - I've always booked direct or via Expedia when they offered good flight / hotel deals.
I don't use Expedia and such.

Last edited by 24left; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:24 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Basically I would like the whole itinerary in J, but it is pricing out at $5k+ which is a bit cost prohibitive. So I decided one way in PE (the daytime flight) and return in P. This prices out to ~$3900 on Matrix.

1) Is it cheaper to place only ICN-YVR in P and YVR-YUL-YOW in B/Y or will it make no difference? I have credits I could use for those legs. Matrix doesn't seem to want to price this out for me.
2) What is the best way to book this? I can get the multi-city tool to price out PE. Should I do this and call in to upfare the ICN-YVR segment? I have a discount code that I am trying to use
3) Could I get a better price through a TA?
Should price at 3423.00 base plus taxes.... so around 3900.00 yes
I'd route ICN-YVR-YYZ-YOW on the return if you are keen on 787 as you should be able to get YVR-YYZ on the same bird
to answer your questions:
1) No, you shouldn't try and breakup the fare domestically as YVR-NRT/ICN-YVR is 2890.00 base in N/P. If you try and break it up you'll pay more. As I see it the fare basis you are after is N0KXCJT and P28XCK
2) If you want to use your discount code ONLY can be applied using aircanada.com. It works on the TA side of aircanada.com too
3) Not if you want to use your discount code, which is probably more valuable considering the base of $3423.00
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much @ABG. Those are the fare basis codes I get on matrix too.

I'll keep you all posted on how this goes.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
I don't think there is a way to change this either. When I book multi-segment PY lowest (N) my flights without PY seats (usually YOW-YYZ) always book in to B whether I use ac.com, our corporate eTA or our corporate TA.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I don't think there is a way to change this either. When I book multi-segment PY lowest (N) my flights without PY seats (usually YOW-YYZ) always book in to B whether I use ac.com, our corporate eTA or our corporate TA.
You would want this though, right? That way you can easily use eUpgrades if you want to? And you get 125% mileage.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:15 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This is a really interesting and educational thread by the way.

Thanks @dr_torch for posing the original question.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

You would want this though, right? That way you can easily use eUpgrades if you want to? And you get 125% mileage.
Which I pointed out in post 3

2. I've bought J-PE and PE-J. It depends on the price of the J and PE sectors. If, for e.g.. the YYZ-Asia (direct or via YVR) is decent enough, but the return is insane and PE is reasonable, I buy that combo.

3. If you buy PE and your Dom or transcon sector is on a narrow body that of course doesn't have PE, it books into B. (Kind makes sense since they both earn 125%. Keeps it simple).
BTW, easy upgrades may be the case on the YOW-YYZ route. I don't know as I don't fly it.

But on YYZ/YVR, not always and it also depends on the day, date, time of flight. Sure N books into B on a narrow body, but I've seen J cabin almost completely full on many of the flights, so at least on this route, YMMV...and I've been doing this rodeo for more than 6 years (yes, less than most here but often enough to see interesting things).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

BTW, easy upgrades may be the case on the YOW-YYZ route. I don't know as I don't fly it.

But on YYZ/YVR, not always and it also depends on the day, date, time of flight. Sure N books into B on a narrow body, but I've seen J cabin almost completely full on many of the flights, so at least on this route, YMMV...and I've been doing this rodeo for more than 6 years (yes, less than most here but often enough to see interesting things).
I appreciate your advice @24left. I guess I see it this way:

For eligible customers travelling on North American and Caribbean flights with a Latitude (booking class Y, B) or Premium Economy Flexible fare (booking class O) fare, upgrades are based on the availability of Z booking class at time of request.
For flights that are a few months away, I would just use EF and see which YUL - YVR or YYZ - YVR flights have availability in Z and book those and upgrade right away. I am somewhat skeptical that the upgrade website is going to work properly for me in this case - but I am going to have to call in anyway.

Just my 2c ... I will let you know how it goes when I book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.