Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Elite 35k - First Leg is AC but not sure who issued the ticket. Does status apply?

Question: Elite 35k - First Leg is AC but not sure who issued the ticket. Does status apply?

Old Feb 10, 19, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Elite 35k - First Leg is AC but not sure who issued the ticket. Does status apply?

Hello,
I am taking a flight with 2 stops. First leg is AirCanada & 2nd/3rd are Gulf Air. I am booking it through cheapoAir, FlightHub or any 3rd party. I called them and they said they don't know who is issuing the ticket till they issue the ticket. When I called AC, they said, if the ticket is issued by AC, Elite 35K would apply but if not, it won't. I assume my boarding pass for the entire trip would be issued by AC since there is a very short transit, would they acknowledge my status for complimentary luggage.
I couldn't find the ticket either through AC or gulfair official website and GA isn't part of Star Alliance either.
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ticket number will tell, first three digits; AC is 014. As to status, which airline issued the ticket won't matter for the leg on AC.
punk likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Seems it is AC.Can you confirm by any chance?

Here is the pastebin from Matrix ITA

https://pastebin.com/bgvpe5Wu

----

https://pastebin.com/buksTUH2
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
The fare rules are the fare rules, whoever issues the ticket.

Ticket number is what matters. 014 is Air Canada. The next 4 (5?) Is the plating issuer. (Think the mechanical embossed plate of a 80s style cha-chunk-ca-chunk credit card thinger).

Only the first three numbers matter. If it's AC it's AC.
punk likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
The fare rules are the fare rules, whoever issues the ticket.

Ticket number is what matters. 014 is Air Canada. The next 4 (5?) Is the plating issuer. (Think the mechanical embossed plate of a 80s style cha-chunk-ca-chunk credit card thinger).

Only the first three numbers matter. If it's AC it's AC.
Is there a way to find out the ticket number prior to issuing the ticket by any chance. Is the information I provided sufficient ?
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by punk View Post
Is there a way to find out the ticket number prior to issuing the ticket by any chance. Is the information I provided sufficient ?
No. However the fare code and the fare rules look like they are AC. But again, regarding status on flights operated by AC, that does not matter.
punk likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

So it's safe to assume that I will be able to be eligible for luggage upgrade right ?
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
YYZ - LHR - BAH - PEW on the outbound? Looks like even if MSC rules applied, YYZ - LHR is the longest segment so AC is the most significant carrier... you should be entitled to AC baggage rules, regardless of which airline actually issues the ticket. Since you're E35K, you should be entitled to your E35K baggage allowance anyway as you'll be checking in with AC for the first segment.
punk likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
I miss understood the question. Before booking the ticket, there is just educated guesswork. I would agree that that looks like AC language for the rules. But who can say?

I'd be reluctant to book with anyone who can't tell you up front what you are actually buying. It doesn't seem worth saving ... really any amount of money. Its either a trivial amount, or it is for sure too good to be true.

Wait for a seat sale, sure, but the safe and reliable ac.com or the guys in the mall for 20 years is the way to go. The $20 is not worth it.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
I miss understood the question. Before booking the ticket, there is just educated guesswork. I would agree that that looks like AC language for the rules. But who can say?

I'd be reluctant to book with anyone who can't tell you up front what you are actually buying. It doesn't seem worth saving ... really any amount of money. Its either a trivial amount, or it is for sure too good to be true.

Wait for a seat sale, sure, but the safe and reliable ac.com or the guys in the mall for 20 years is the way to go. The $20 is not worth it.
Not trying to save a buck or two but this route isn't available on AC website neither of any other airline either. 3rd party is the only option.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:28 am

Yeah your bags will be checked through. Baggage rules are per the originating (ie: first segment) carrier which is AC in this case which does acknowledge your status no matter how you bought the ticket (with some very minor exceptions such as employee passes). Interline partners, such as GF, accept bags from AC without additional charges applicable. There may be a bag fee collection on the return of the itinerary corresponding with GF's policies.

Whomever issued the ticket doesn't matter. If it has an AC segment on it, it is done in agency for AC.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by punk View Post
Not trying to save a buck or two but this route isn't available on AC website neither of any other airline either. 3rd party is the only option.
I have had travel that can't be booked on the website, and because I am deaf, I cannot call AC reservations, but I solved the problem by going to a human travel agent or Amex platinum travel services. You might be able to get the itinerary you want from AC Reservations on the phone even if not on the website. The third party may be the only online, human-free option, but as others have written, you are holding a very big bag if things go south on the road, and it looks like a long road on your itinerary.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks every one for the help. Final ticket has each individual airline booking reference as well but i think the main booking reference has AC in it. Hopefully I should be good !