Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The CBC "breaks" the story that AC, like all airlines, overbooks.

Then it breathlessly informs you AC tells it's employees not to inform passengers it overbooks.

This is what qualifies as news on the CBC. Tomorrow breaking news on the national network will the "the sun rises in the EAST!!!!!"
Except the underlined portion was not part of the CBC story. The issue is clear: the airline is alleged to have instructed employees to inform passengers at check in that they will make their intended flight, even though it may be evident they will not. It's an issue of a lack of transparency and of being less than forthcoming.

There is nothing in the story that alleges that Air Canada denies the practice of overselling/overbooking, nor that it instructs its employees to do so. The distinction may be difficult to detect if you begin reading the story with a preconceived bias. #unrolleyes
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Except the underlined portion was not part of the CBC story. The issue is clear: the airline is alleged to have instructed employees to inform passengers at check in that they will make their intended flight, even though it may be evident they will not. It's an issue of a lack of transparency and of being less than forthcoming.

There is nothing in the story that alleges that Air Canada denies the practice of overselling/overbooking, nor that it instructs its employees to do so. The distinction may be difficult to detect if you begin reading the story with a preconceived bias. #unrolleyes
So what? The check-in agent suspects but does not know for sure that the passenger might not get a seat. Why bother upsetting the passenger and face a confrontation for what amounts to no good reason. Pass them on to the next step and see what happens. I've had the dreaded GTE on my ticket and have never been IDB'd.

And if should a passenger wish to avoid this "trauma" they can pre-select a seat which is what anyone with a grain of sense does in the first place.

The pre-conceived bias belongs to the CBC which seems determined to blow everything about AC out of proportion.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The pre-conceived bias belongs to the CBC which seems determined to blow everything about AC out of proportion.
Not totally convinced that's true. It's more that their consumer affairs people are after airlines in general. When they have a piece abiut WS nobody here seems to notice.
PointWeasel likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So what? The check-in agent suspects but does not know for sure that the passenger might not get a seat. Why bother upsetting the passenger and face a confrontation for what amounts to no good reason. Pass them on to the next step and see what happens. I've had the dreaded GTE on my ticket and have never been IDB'd.

And if should a passenger wish to avoid this "trauma" they can pre-select a seat which is what anyone with a grain of sense does in the first place.

The passenger might be able to make other plans. They could purchase a ticket on another carrier and get a refund from AC, which AC wouldn't like. Or they could make some phone calls or send emails to rearrange their schedule, cancel a hotel reservation before the deadline, rearrange their transportation plans at the destination airport, change the pick up time for their rental car, etc. They could also decide to do carry on luggage only if what they have is small enough and they don't have lots of liquids or prohibited items. If someone is going to be denied boarding, it's always better for the customer to know sooner rather than later, but of course it's more convenient for the airline and more profitable for the airline to keep the person waiting at the gate.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
A bias balanced by the constant minimization of any and all AC failings by its legions of die-hard defenders.

Perhaps we can agree that with Air Canada, there's room for improvement in a few areas.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The passenger might be able to make other plans. They could purchase a ticket on another carrier and get a refund from AC, which AC wouldn't like. Or they could make some phone calls or send emails to rearrange their schedule, cancel a hotel reservation before the deadline, rearrange their transportation plans at the destination airport, change the pick up time for their rental car, etc. They could also decide to do carry on luggage only if what they have is small enough and they don't have lots of liquids or prohibited items. If someone is going to be denied boarding, it's always better for the customer to know sooner rather than later, but of course it's more convenient for the airline and more profitable for the airline to keep the person waiting at the gate.
You're right, a passenger could do all of those things. Even though I believe the vast majority of them will actually make the flight anyway. And that's where I think the issue is.

I don't know what percentage of GTE passengers actually get on their originally booked flight ... and I suspect AC guards those numbers carefully as they absolutely have competitive impact ... but my belief is that the number of GTE passengers who get IDB'd is significantly less than 1%. Is it 0.1%, 0.001%, or even less, I dunno .... but it's simply not the case that most passengers who receive GTE on their BP will get IDBd.

Note that I'm not disputing that some passengers are denied boarding .... and we could have a further debate about how long the resultant delays are, and what that distribution looks like. But my concern with the CBC story is that GTE happens a lot, and the implication in the story is that GTE means you only have a 50/50 shot of getting on the plane -- and I don't think that's even close to the truth.

So, @MSPeconomist, you're right - if the gate agent told GTE passengers that there was a chance they would be denied boarding, I imagine that a healthy percentage of them would worry (even panic) and then start to make alternative plans - even though the vast majority of them will actually board their intended flight on schedule(ish). In that context, making a lot of passengers worry and possibly even start to make alternative plans, when most of them don't need to do anything -- that's not actually providing a good service to the majority.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canopus27
if the gate agent told GTE passengers that there was a chance they would be denied boarding, I imagine that a healthy percentage of them would worry (even panic) and then start to make alternative plans - even though the vast majority of them will actually board their intended flight on schedule(ish). In that context, making a lot of passengers worry and possibly even start to make alternative plans, when most of them don't need to do anything -- that's not actually providing a good service to the majority.
I don't think anyone is saying Air Canada should be telling anyone who gets GTE on their boarding pass that they aren't going to board the plane, or even that they might not board the plane. And I have no way of knowing the percentage of people who get VDB / IDB off of a GTE, although I suspect it is higher than what you are saying.

The issue to me is that:
1) This issue disproportionately affects the FOTSG crowd, who doesn't know what GTE means, and have little to no idea that they could be IDBed.
2) Sometimes when they hand out GTE boarding passes they know there is a high risk. The check-in agent can look at the loads and understand the probabilities. But they are instructed to say nothing and pass the buck, which in some ways is understandable but in other ways must be very hard for the agents to deceive this way, hence the point of this story.
3) IDB absolutely still happens. We've all seen it many times. e.g. I was on standby for a YYZ-YOW last month, and the agent told me I was at the top of the standby list when she put me on it, and I could go to the gate, but I almost certainly would not get on the plane - it was way overbooked already. She was right; they ended up IDBing several Canadian Forces members (who were out of uniform) flying on government purchased tickets and they were rightfully pretty upset.

The frequent flier crowd understands this happens, and know how to prevent it (and having status certainly helps, we're unlikely to have this happen even if we have selected seats ahead of time and checked in online 24h beforehand). The general public understandably expects airlines to work like concerts or hockey games; I buy a ticket, I get a seat. When that doesn't happen and things blow up then you get stories in the CBC.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I don't think anyone is saying Air Canada should be telling anyone who gets GTE on their boarding pass that they aren't going to board the plane, or even that they might not board the plane. And I have no way of knowing the percentage of people who get VDB / IDB off of a GTE, although I suspect it is higher than what you are saying.
None of us know that number - but can we agree that it has a significant bearing on the conversation?

If 1 person in 10 who receive a GTE on their BP were actually IDB, then I'd agree with you that AC should give an early heads up to passengers at risk.

Can you agree with me that if the number is actually 1 in 10,000, then AC would actually be causing more harm than good by warning all 10,000?

My hope is that if we can agree on those endpoints, then it will transition this discussion to be more about frequency of IDB (which is knowable, even if not by us in public) than abstract things like "good for FF but bad for FOTSG"
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Could a low/no-status PAX with an assigned seat be bumped before a status PAX with GTE?

I suspect so.

The TA here has a small view of the system. They don't understand.

They only used to work at the airport.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Could a low/no-status PAX with an assigned seat be bumped before a status PAX with GTE?

I suspect so.
I was talking with cow about this recently - the answer is yes.

One of the documented privileges of both 75K and SE is "Guaranteed Reservations in Economy Class"
When a flight is booked to capacity, simply reserve a seat in Economy Class on flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada Express, with the purchase of a full-fare ticket (booking class Y) at least 6 hours prior to departure. This also applies to one travel companion who must be on the same reservation. This does not apply to Flight Pass reservations, or on Air Canada flights numbered AC1600 to AC1799.
Lets suppose everyone shows up for that flight .... someone is going to get bumped, even if they previously had a seat assignment.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:45 pm

there's nothing new about what they did. haha
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by canopus27
You're right, a passenger could do all of those things. Even though I believe the vast majority of them will actually make the flight anyway. And that's where I think the issue is.

I don't know what percentage of GTE passengers actually get on their originally booked flight ... and I suspect AC guards those numbers carefully as they absolutely have competitive impact ... but my belief is that the number of GTE passengers who get IDB'd is significantly less than 1%. Is it 0.1%, 0.001%, or even less, I dunno .... but it's simply not the case that most passengers who receive GTE on their BP will get IDBd.

Note that I'm not disputing that some passengers are denied boarding .... and we could have a further debate about how long the resultant delays are, and what that distribution looks like. But my concern with the CBC story is that GTE happens a lot, and the implication in the story is that GTE means you only have a 50/50 shot of getting on the plane -- and I don't think that's even close to the truth.
Let's look at 125 YYZ-YVR today. There are currently 12 people who are checked in but do not have a confirmed seat assignment. I'm sure that number will be much higher by the time the flight departs.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Let's look at 125 YYZ-YVR today. There are currently 12 people who are checked in but do not have a confirmed seat assignment. I'm sure that number will be much higher by the time the flight departs.
Up to 17
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Up to 17
And yet, you can still buy seats on this flight.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PB53x11
And yet, you can still buy seats on this flight.
Exactly why it's a good test case. They sold more Y seats than they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.