Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
This has not been my experience, at least with IRROPs. In April, I had a flight from EWR > YUL go mechanical, the reissued ticket by the lounge dragon clearly said Y on it and when check my UA account I see that it was credited as a Y fare (incl 150% milage bonus). The original fare code was T (as a UA Codeshare to boot!) In addition, the replacement flight was overbooked, meaning I was opUp'd to J (presumably to make room for more kettles).

Nothing you said contradicts what I said.

You're talking about IRROPS, for one.

And UA crediting is based off fare class, not brand.

But even then, Y and B aren't branded classes, so it's not a branded fare discussion anyway. Only M down to K are branded.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Nothing you said contradicts what I said.
You're talking about IRROPS, for one.
And UA crediting is based off fare class, not brand.
But even then, Y and B aren't branded classes, so it's not a branded fare discussion anyway. Only M down to K are branded.
I dont even know what "brand classes" are, because normal airlines credit off of fare class, and yes, AC IRROPS are rebooked in Y, and earn 250% miileage, and have a meal icon on the boarding pass as in Latitude. Yet another AC opup however is not reflected in the earnings

Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Though it's a common practice.

It is still Business 101
You pay for something for a product, acceptance of payment is a confirmation that you will receive the product. Plain and simple...

Yes I agree some people cancel and that's also part of business.

How about an example who are die hard fans for AC that support 99.9% of their "unethical" practices.

Simple comparison/example...
What if you buy a TV/Car or whatever then they will tell you sorry we end up selling the TV/Car to another person. Don't tell hm you'll be happy with it lol.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The CBC "breaks" the story that AC, like all airlines, overbooks.

Then it breathlessly informs you AC tells it's employees not to inform passengers it overbooks.

This is what qualifies as news on the CBC. Tomorrow breaking news on the national network will the "the sun rises in the EAST!!!!!"
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Simple comparison/example...
What if you buy a TV/Car or whatever then they will tell you sorry we end up selling the TV/Car to another person. Don't tell hm you'll be happy with it lol.
I'll bite: it depends on the next sentence. If the compensation is sufficient, I may well end up happy. Had something similar happen - bought a pair of skis over the phone from a store, was subsequently informed for some reason they couldn't deliver on their promise. They sold me the next model up for the same price as I had originally agreed to. Happy customer.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The CBC "breaks" the story that AC, like all airlines, overbooks.

Then it breathlessly informs you AC tells it's employees not to inform passengers it overbooks.

This is what qualifies as news on the CBC. Tomorrow breaking news on the national network will the "the sun rises in the EAST!!!!!"
Yeah, because I am sure that the FOTSG CBC reader really understands how airline overbooking works and what GTE means on a boarding pass.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I think that is very much a case of YMMV. I suspect if a Gold gets bumped AC may be willing to offer the pax a J seat at a later time particularly if it means not having to issue compensation.
On a practical case, its unlikely that a flight would be filled with *G or native high status PAX. They can find some FOTSG in a low bucket to bump.

That said, the IROPS manual suggests that Latitude or SE PAX can get higher cabins (and many of us here have experienced as much). (See: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...Operations.pdf )

I remember once I offered myself to a GA to be bumped (app was showing a list of standby pax). The flight was not actually overbooked, but she seemed like she would have put me on a later flight, and upgraded me, if there was an overbooked situation.

I have taken the UA kiosks offer to take a later flight for $500 in credit. I've tried a handful of other times.

It as been discussed before (and cf. UA and others automatic offers to everyone) that high status does not necessarily mean high demand and a need to not bump. Right now my commute has connections where the next flight is "tomorrow", but just as often, I'd be perfectly happy to VDB myself if guaranteed a free upgrade two hours later, and I'd be happy with it. AC does not have a mechanism in place to solicit for this, but it should be obvious that whatever I might consume in the MLL and J between YYZ-YHZ is going to be a lot less than cash or credit they would have to pay out to someone else. And there are situations I'd be happy about that.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:20 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
GTE can mean there are only preferred seats left.

Or that Y is overbooked but J is wide open.
Or that J is overbooked and Y is wide open. Seen it happen numerous times on LH's long haul flights to Korea.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by htb
Or that J is overbooked and Y is wide open. Seen it happen numerous times on LH's long haul flights to Korea.
AC does not overbook J.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
AC does not overbook J.
AC does not oversell J.

A downgague, among other reasonable problems, would trigger J being overbooked.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC does not oversell J.

A downgague, among other reasonable problems, would trigger J being overbooked.
Fair enough, I agree .... but those are far less frequent occurrences. This thread is about routine & daily oversell situations. As you say, AC does not oversell J, and the situation of AC's J being overbooked as a result of IRROPS is certainly possible but is also not a routine occurrence.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:48 pm

Overbook vs oversell ... Its an important distinction to keep in mind.

The casual "solution" to IDB is "don't allow airlines to oversell". But then you still need IDB processes (and regulations) because there are situations where overbooking happens.

If the IDB regulations, were, say, "voluntary denied boarding via cash auction for people giving up their seats, no limit. Involuntary is not allowed." then AC (or WS for that matter) can go crazy overselling all they want. Someone is going to take $10k cash to wait around 24 hours, and RM will get their big data datum for next time.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I wonder if AC non-response to the stories is because they benefit from a bit of hysteria - if people get it in their head that they're bound to overnight in the departure gate if they don't pay for seat selection, maybe they WILL pay for $eat $election. #winning
24left likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Or people fly a different airline next time. WS didn't get to the size it is because everyone loves how AC treats them.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Last week in YXE, my flight to YEG was cancelled, flight to YYC delayed 6 hours which ended up being cancelled at the end of that 6 hour delay (mechanical issues). Lots of people trying to get on the only other flight leaving town which is to YVR. I got them to put me on YVR and ended up getting comp upgraded to J (first time EVER !!!). Y was oversold on this CRJ900. Gate agent asked for and got 1 volunteer to take a flight next day in return for $800 cheque NOT travel credit.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Feb 12, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.