Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC - AC employees trained to dupe pax on oversold flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by marchelli
I thought the snack of choice for this crowd was the kit kat... or is that assumed, in addition to popcorn...
Snack of choice would depend on the FTer and the time of day
Popcorn seemed to be the most mentioned when some potential barking or hilarity is about to show up on FT.
Miss Vickies or Cape Cod chips or when all else fails, some sort of warm nuts and "adult beverages", are what is needed to watch the spectacle from a comfy seat.
With AC and the CBC, I'd say the % alcohol needed might be a bit higher.

Last edited by 24left; Feb 11, 2019 at 1:07 pm Reason: spelling optional
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
AC doesn’t need to respond to most negative stories. My company rarely makes statements responding to negative comments. Honestly, the effort will add very little value.

We also need to remember - people who ‘feel’ they are entitled to compensation believe they are in for a big payday. If they don’t get their big payday, they feel they need to call CBC News. Honestly, it is not worth it. People love to hate AC. Will responding to every complaint reported by the CBC move the needle. I think not.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by marchelli
I thought the snack of choice for this crowd was the kit kat... or is that assumed, in addition to popcorn...
In the spirit of being Super and Elite, it's larks' tongues and otters' noses for me.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:21 pm

Noticed the story as well on the CBC. It's good to know that this won't impact me flying on lowly K fares as a VIP (I'm guessing we're near the bottom of the list for getting bumped, around where the dime a dozen SEs are )

Looking at the document posted earlier I spotted this gem:

Customer Reprotection
Customers are to be rebooked (holding confirmed space) on an earlier/later Air Canada flight when available in original booking code (if not available, book next available booking code up to Y).

If there is no availability in economy, never rebook a customer in Business class or Premium Economy.
Good to see Air Canada cares

-James
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just wondering how this requirement for rebooking in " original booking code,... up to Y" works in these days of fare classes, when any letter can be just aboutr any fare class?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Just wondering how this requirement for rebooking in " original booking code,... up to Y" works in these days of fare classes, when any letter can be just aboutr any fare class?
Y is the highest possible booking code on most airlines for Economy, Air Canada included and usually represents a full-price economy ticket with maximum flexibility (i.e. Latitude). In other words, it's the last possible economy seat to be sold for a given flight. Put slightly differently, if there's availability in any economy fare bucket, then that implies there is availability in Y. I've had IRROPs occur where I ended up being rebooked into Y resulting in 150% PQM when crediting to UA.

In any event, the fact that AC pulls PY and J off the table seems like a case of penny wise pound foolish. Does it really save AC money to have a J seat go out empty and have to overnight someone at a hotel and cover meals?

-James
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Y is the highest possible booking code on most airlines for Economy, Air Canada included and usually represents a full-price economy ticket with maximum flexibility (i.e. Latitude). In other words, it's the last possible economy seat to be sold for a given flight. Put slightly differently, if there's availability in any economy fare bucket, then that implies there is availability in Y. I've had IRROPs occur where I ended up being rebooked into Y resulting in 150% PQM when crediting to UA.

In any event, the fact that AC pulls PY and J off the table seems like a case of penny wise pound foolish. Does it really save AC money to have a J seat go out empty and have to overnight someone at a hotel and cover meals?

-James
What probably happens in that case, if there is an empty PY/J seat, is an elite member will be bumped up to PY/J and the resulting empty Y seat given to those who do not have a seat yet.
MQS007 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by AC7E7
AC doesn’t need to respond to most negative stories. My company rarely makes statements responding to negative comments. Honestly, the effort will add very little value.
Call me old-school (just don't call me Shirley), but I'll beg to differ with you on this one. I won't even beg, I'll simply differ. Companies large and small do need to respond to complaints of all stripes. It need not be a major PR production, it can be as simple as a customer rep reaching out to an individual via a tweet, email or even one of those oft-neglected procedures the oldies term 'phone calls'. There will always be bogus whinges interwoven with legitimate beefs, but to ignore negative comments breeds resentment and only serves to exacerbate a concern. If the issue has reached the public media - especially a national platform like the CBC - it's just plain stupid not to have the corporate messaging engaged and in play.

I'm not sure which industry you're in, but if you have a competitor who seeks to resolve customer feedback versus yourselves who ignore or sweep concerns aside, don't be surprised to see them gain a lot of favour amongst your clientele.
Sopwith and RatherBeInYOW like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
What probably happens in that case, if there is an empty PY/J seat, is an elite member will be bumped up to PY/J and the resulting empty Y seat given to those who do not have a seat yet.
That is exactly what it means.

Anyone who is bumped isn't going to get a confirmed seat in a better cabin. They will, however, get standby on every flight they want to get standby on until their confirmed flight leaves.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
I like that with the policy, those that are denied get two phone calls (or two faxes).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by bluenose77
I like that with the policy, those that are denied get two phone calls (or two faxes).
The revised or improved policy will replace phone calls and faxes to telegrams instead.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
In the spirit of being Super and Elite, it's larks' tongues and otters' noses for me.
Not LPGS with your popcorn?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso

-James
They don't reissue tickets, and the brand is determined exclusively from the fare basis code, which doesn't change.

It just means you might be booked in M with a fare basis of K7ABTG.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Call me old-school (just don't call me Shirley), but I'll beg to differ with you on this one. I won't even beg, I'll simply differ. Companies large and small do need to respond to complaints of all stripes. It need not be a major PR production, it can be as simple as a customer rep reaching out to an individual via a tweet, email or even one of those oft-neglected procedures the oldies term 'phone calls'. There will always be bogus whinges interwoven with legitimate beefs, but to ignore negative comments breeds resentment and only serves to exacerbate a concern. If the issue has reached the public media - especially a national platform like the CBC - it's just plain stupid not to have the corporate messaging engaged and in play.

I'm not sure which industry you're in, but if you have a competitor who seeks to resolve customer feedback versus yourselves who ignore or sweep concerns aside, don't be surprised to see them gain a lot of favour amongst your clientele.
I should have been more clear. AC does not need to respond publicly to negative comments. They can resolve the problems/complaints directly with the customer rather than for all to see.

Re these former/current employees yapping to the CBC, just sounds like sour grapes.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:57 pm

Out of curiosity what does the existing legislation in Canada say about IDB? Does the airline need to offer the passenger anything besides a refund if the passenger requests? It's also unclear how DB impacts Economy Basic tickets. Do they become changeable?

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Anyone who is bumped isn't going to get a confirmed seat in a better cabin. They will, however, get standby on every flight they want to get standby on until their confirmed flight leaves.
I think that is very much a case of YMMV. I suspect if a Gold gets bumped AC may be willing to offer the pax a J seat at a later time particularly if it means not having to issue compensation.

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
The revised or improved policy will replace phone calls and faxes to telegrams instead.
I hear AC is making the move to carrier pigeons, more eco-friendly and has a better OTP than AC

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They don't reissue tickets, and the brand is determined exclusively from the fare basis code, which doesn't change.

It just means you might be booked in M with a fare basis of K7ABTG.
This has not been my experience, at least with IRROPs. In April, I had a flight from EWR > YUL go mechanical, the reissued ticket by the lounge dragon clearly said Y on it and when check my UA account I see that it was credited as a Y fare (incl 150% milage bonus). The original fare code was T (as a UA Codeshare to boot!) In addition, the replacement flight was overbooked, meaning I was opUp'd to J (presumably to make room for more kettles).

Originally Posted by AC7E7
I should have been more clear. AC does not need to respond publicly to negative comments. They can resolve the problems/complaints directly with the customer rather than for all to see.
I think at this point the steam has already left the kettle. If I had to count on my hands and toes the number of times AC had the option of responding to the customer instead of ignoring them and the customer having to CBC the airline, I'd run out of digits! Penny wise, pound foolish!

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.