Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada

Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=expert7700;30763333]
Originally Posted by see2xu

My Tumi was in an open bin, but the door wouldn’t close. [/QUOTE}
This says alot right there.
I have seen passengers clueless to whether the bin will close with their bag sticking out. (hint: test closing the bin while you still have time to move or put it sideways)

Likewise, I have also seen passengers stick their bag halfway in a WAY too-small bin and take their seat. Typically shrugging their shoulders and figuring it will be the FA's problem.

Of course neither type of passenger in the above examples call the FA prior to boarding being complete.
Especially since that bag actually fits, at least sideways. (Issue could have been that bins were already nearly full so there was no room sideways. But that's not what the OP is saying...)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100k
I'm also an ex-CP refugee, but have recently migrated from the "AC's the worst airline ever" camp to the "they've improved and now they're just as bad as everybody else" shelter. Or maybe I'm just getting old, less willing to wage war, and subsequently less cranky (although my wife would dispute that last point). Airlines are companies that will say anything to get my money; they do not deserve my loyalty as they surely do not have any loyalty to me. It is what it is, and it's just not worth get worked up about. If I don't get the value I expect from my plane ticket, I will just take my money to another airline -- easy as that.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Member

I'm an ex-CP insurgent.
see2xu likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
what is not to like about AC

Many of us checked out of AC several years ago. In my case, UA has been the better option:
- complimentary seat selection and auto upgrades to E + seating;
- no minimum spending requirement for non US residents;
- compilmentary bag check and same day changes on all fare classes.
I have never spoken with an AC Concierge but firmly believe I get better treatment from AC because I am G+!
I still fly AC metal - but - often receive more MP credits than I would on AP!
Regrets? I have none.
gcashin likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:56 pm

Gate check to destination

Originally Posted by vernonc
Surprising that they could not accommodate the carry-on given the passenger was flying up-front. Not being on that flight, I would hazard a guess that some of the J bin space was crew bags. As was any space in the coat cabin though I am not even sure if a Rouge flight has a coat cabin.
Gate checking a bag on the plane is risky - I have seen FA's scribble seat numbers on paper and stick the offending bag out the front door. If that paper disappears or is incorrect, that bag is heading somewhere else which may be what happened here.
Gate checking to other than the final destination is what's risky. Doing so would have seen you making your way to your domestic connection much more easily, with your bag likely transferred without issue.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I'm one of the furthest people removed from any fleet planning decisions made at AC, but I think they'll be happy to see the end of the 767s - permanently - with no chance of acquiring more. With the departure of the 767s, as much as I personally like the aircraft, AC simplifies its fleet, improves its capacity & fuel efficiency and moves towards their optimal fleet configuration, whatever that looks like. Collecting a half dozen ex-Qantas/ex-WestJet frames and re-training pilots & cabin crew makes next-to-zero sense, particularly as I'm sure there are better aircraft available on the lease market.
?? wait? AC might be getting rid of a few 767s however Rouge still have 20+ and no timeline to get rid of them. So really no training of crews its just AC finding more junk that's cheap enough for AC to use.
see2xu likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Many of us checked out of AC several years ago. In my case, UA has been the better option:
- complimentary seat selection and auto upgrades to E + seating;
- no minimum spending requirement for non US residents;
- compilmentary bag check and same day changes on all fare classes.
I have never spoken with an AC Concierge but firmly believe I get better treatment from AC because I am G+!
I still fly AC metal - but - often receive more MP credits than I would on AP!
Regrets? I have none.
Traitor.

Please dont encourage others. My free upgrade space out of YYZ is not what it used to be.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Thank you SuperCargo - for the Super Quote (below)

Originally Posted by SuperCargo
Maybe I'm just getting old, less willing to wage war, and subsequently less cranky (although my wife would dispute that last point). Airlines are companies that will say anything to get my money; they do not deserve my loyalty as they surely do not have any loyalty to me. It is what it is, and it's just not worth get worked up about.
As a 78 year old (with a 73 year old more tolerant [of AC] wife) I share your more relaxed attitude to AC's many shortcomings. And of course AC does love us oldies who are (generally) more easy going and less likely to make a fuss.

Of course those of us who actually remember the really good old pre CP Air days of Canadian Pacific Airlines, especially CP401, are less accepting of today's AC; pity!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by see2xu
Herb will forever be remembered, not only for his sartorial splendour, but also for his "flying turkey" promotion, which is an apt metaphor for Canada's flag carrier.
OK, that memory made me laugh out loud.

For you young'uns who don't understand, there's a partial transcript here:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0742671...ters/nm0761687
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Traitor.

Please dont encourage others. My free upgrade space out of YYZ is not what it used to be.
Nope not like it used to be. Of course all those Erj 145's do not help either.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yul36
Nope not like it used to be. Of course all those Erj 145's do not help either.
There used to be more ERJ145s, even as far as IAH - now they seem to only be deployed on YYZ-EWR

IAD gets the CR7s and E175s - AC is gross CR2s
ORD is mainline and E175, with an occasional E145/CRJ
DEN is both mainline where only CR7s used to fly
IAH is two mainlines and one E175 - back from CO days when it was all 737s

I dont think Air Canada flies a single non-ERJ aircraft to any of the five cities above.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont think Air Canada flies a single non-ERJ aircraft to any of the five cities above.
AC does not have ERJs.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
AC does not have ERJs.
?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html

I m seeing 19 AC owned E-190s and 25 E175s
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html

I m seeing 19 AC owned E-190s and 25 E175s
Right. These are EMBs. Not ERJs.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
I've been off the thread...yes, that IS what the OP is saying. Boarding halfway through Group 1, which is "Rouge Premium" the bins above the window seats were already full, and the cantilevered bins over the middle rows are too small for a modern rollaboard. I stuck the Tumi in, wheels first, which clearly wouldn't allow the cover to close, but the FAs weren't focused at all on the PAX in the cabin, so there was no way to attract their attention without swimming upstream. I figured they'd sort it out. I was wrong.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 15, 2019 at 4:05 pm Reason: political commentary

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.