Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada

Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Air Canada Customer Service

Originally Posted by dr_torch
You can make a request for Air Canada to reimburse your expenses due to the delay of your luggage. Last year I had a bag delayed due to a tight connection and I also had to buy clothes to attend a conference (and toiletries). Air Canada was quite punctual in sending me a cheque shortly after I submitted the form and the receipts.
I'll eat the cost, rather than get into a battle of wits with unarmed opponents. And I would have no leverage with AC, since I will never willingly board another AC aircraft.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by see2xu
I'll eat the cost, rather than get into a battle of wits with unarmed opponents. And I would have no leverage with AC, since I will never willingly board another AC aircraft.
You don't need leverage, you just need to fill out a form and attach a receipt for the clothes you bought. You need not fly AC again if you wish. They sent me a cheque - not a promo code or a future credit - it was actual money.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Hate to disappoint you, but unless my executor defies my wishes and flies my casket back to Canada for burial on AC, I won't be reporting on any new misadventures for whatever remains of my life.

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me! Fool me dozens of time, well... I must be an Air Canada frequent flyer!"
Hahaha, brilliant... that may be the funniest thing I have read on FT.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr_torch
You don't need leverage, you just need to fill out a form and attach a receipt for the clothes you bought. You need not fly AC again if you wish. They sent me a cheque - not a promo code or a future credit - it was actual money.
Thanks, but my distaste is at the point where I view any further interaction with them to be more vexatious, than the cost of a couple of shirts and a pair of trousers.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

OP

Originally Posted by Often1
The error was that OP did not properly check it in as AC's rules require. The maximum longest dimension is 21.5" (x9x15.5). Whether the bag fits in a particular bin is wholly irrelevant. Perhaps had the bag carried an automated rather than manual tag resulting from the FA having to enforce the rules, it would not have been delayed.

OP will have to look far and wide for a US carrier which permits a 24" bag.
OP will be happily seeking carriers who accommodate IATA-legal carry-ons, in their forward cabins, going forward! Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Flying Turkeys

Originally Posted by Jagboi
If you're in an industry/ place where suit and tie is expected, it's difficult to buy suit/shirt/tie and shoes for $600 at walk up regular prices that doesn't look like something Herb Tarlek wore on WKRP.
Herb will forever be remembered, not only for his sartorial splendour, but also for his "flying turkey" promotion, which is an apt metaphor for Canada's flag carrier.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
...unless my executor defies my wishes and flies my casket back to Canada for burial on AC, I won't be reporting on any new misadventures for whatever remains of my life.
Hey, on the bright side, you'll stand a decent chance of finally visiting Whitehorse!
"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me! Fool me dozens of time, well... I must be an Air Canada frequent flyer!"
The credo of many contributors here.
see2xu likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:04 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Thanks, but my distaste is at the point where I view any further interaction with them to be more vexatious, than the cost of a couple of shirts and a pair of trousers.
That ain't much for 600 bucks. Excuse my poor english.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
AC mainline has already largely replaced their 767s with new 789s. Widebody orders: they have received 27 Dreamliners and have a pair still to come. The used A333s you mention are also designed in part to replace the 767 fleet.

As per the image below (from this AC presentation: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...018_MDA_q3.pdf), the last six remaining 767s will no longer sport the toothpaste scheme after this year (and will not be transferred to Rouge).

AC Rouge on the other hand, will retain their 25 767s for a few more years yet. I'm not aware of any meaningful or developed plan to replace them, but given their amortized cost, reasonable operating costs in current fuel prices and the investment they've sunk into them (winglets etc), we can expect to cram our half-inch-too-big roll-aboards sideways for a few more trips to come.
I assume the replacement 330s AC buying are old, but I doubt as old as the 330s AC already have? West Jet will have 6? 767s that AC could also buy lease, but I assume they have newer bins than the 767s AC is flying?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by mellon
West Jet will have 6? 767s that AC could also buy lease, but I assume they have newer bins than the 767s AC is flying?
I'm one of the furthest people removed from any fleet planning decisions made at AC, but I think they'll be happy to see the end of the 767s - permanently - with no chance of acquiring more. With the departure of the 767s, as much as I personally like the aircraft, AC simplifies its fleet, improves its capacity & fuel efficiency and moves towards their optimal fleet configuration, whatever that looks like. Collecting a half dozen ex-Qantas/ex-WestJet frames and re-training pilots & cabin crew makes next-to-zero sense, particularly as I'm sure there are better aircraft available on the lease market.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 5mm
I agree that bags should never get lossed with bar code tags and should be always trackable. The problem is that lost bags are usually caused by airport baggage systems not scanning properly than airlines actual making the mistake. YVR baggage system is general bad.
Yeah, yeah. We know. It's never, ever Air Canada's fault.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:27 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Yeah, yeah. We know. It's never, ever Air Canada's fault.

Where did I say AC? That info about lost bags came from a LH airline manager at a FF club nearing. The question I have is why you have so much to say about AC without flying them. ???

I only pointed out YVR, because if you actual flown out of your home city airport, you would know this yourself.. BTW, YVR had baggage problems again today.

Last edited by 5mm; Feb 10, 2019 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
  1. I've done something terribly wrong with my life because I would never consider a $600 outfit "minimally respectable".
Indeed. I wear a t-shirt to work and even my everyday shoes cost $300. That someone can obtain passable business attire for $600 is amazing.

Then again some people just look good no matter whst they wear.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

My Tumi was in an open bin, but the door wouldn’t close.
This says alot right there.

I have seen passengers clueless to whether the bin will close with their bag sticking out. (hint: test closing the bin while you still have time to move or put it sideways)

Likewise, I have also seen passengers stick their bag halfway in a WAY too-small bin and take their seat. Typically shrugging their shoulders and figuring it will be the FA's problem.

Of course neither type of passenger in the above examples call the FA prior to boarding being complete.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 11, 2019 at 12:10 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
The question I have is why you have so much to say about AC without flying them. ???

I only pointed out YVR, because if you actual flown out of your home city airport, you would know this yourself.. BTW, YVR had baggage problems again today.
It's a well-known fact on this forum that Ken has never spent any time on Air Canada and has remained anchored to Vancouver his entire life without venturing beyond two bridges. <--- That, if it wasn't immediately obvious, was written tongue firmly in cheek. I believe Ken has indeed "actual flown" out of his home city airport.

I can relate to this, which may explain my defence of another member: despite gracing AC's cabins much less than I used to, I was a long-time Elite member, having come to them grudgingly from CP. I do fly them a few times per year on my regular biweekly domestic commutes, but never long haul, and I credit to another program. So why do I bother commenting? My reason is that it's because I've seen and done much of this before. I can see improvements AC has made, and I can critique that same old crap they've pulled for years decades. I can add perspective where we have entrenched camps of "AC is the worst airline ever" critics battling the "AC can do no wrong" apologists. And I invested a lot of time, effort and money with Air Canada - long before this new age of young tech flyers with overdeveloped senses of entitlement displaced the old guard - and perhaps feel a tinge of nostalgia. I'll let Ken answer to why he bothers commenting, but going cold turkey is sometimes easier said than done.

I have largely said bon voyage to Air Canada, but unlike the OP, am not in a location where I can cut ties with them completely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.