Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
My rollerbag is a victim of the ACr 767's ratcheting bins. I know the pain.

OP decided to short check his non-fitting bag because he remembered trouble connecting a generation ago. Had he not, all would have been good.

Don't mess with the system and complain.
But OP did not decide to short check his bag, the FA decided and that's my point. If he boarded first, he would likely have had space (lengthwise) and all would be well.
I am more surprised that they would force a passenger in J who boarded around the beginning of the boarding process to gate check his bag. And gate check is probably not the right term for what happened.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by vernonc
I am more surprised that they would force a passenger in J who boarded around the beginning of the boarding process to gate check his bag. And gate check is probably not the right term for what happened.
That's the part of the story I can't get my head around. OP says they boarded midway through group 1. There would have been oodles of space beyond the curtain. Why would FA not offer that alternative? Better yet, why would OP not just walk the bag back a few rows and do it themselves.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I've done something terribly wrong with my life because I would never consider a $600 outfit "minimally respectable".
If you're in an industry/ place where suit and tie is expected, it's difficult to buy suit/shirt/tie and shoes for $600 at walk up regular prices that doesn't look like something Herb Tarlek wore on WKRP.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
If you're in an industry/ place where suit and tie is expected, it's difficult to buy suit/shirt/tie and shoes for $600 at walk up regular prices that doesn't look like something Herb Tarlek wore on WKRP.
Fair point. I don't typically wear a jacket and tie so wasn't thinking that way.

Love the WKRP reference. Awesome.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I had to look that one up.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I remember a trip I did to YYZ 3 years ago where I burned some AE miles to go in J for a treat and WKRP was the best thing I could find on the IFE. It was a dire selection.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
I don't understand why people are blaming the OP for only checking the bag to YYZ. Assuming that the gate-checked baggage tag is written by hand, that seems like a very sensible thing to do, as it would take more human intervention (which is usually a bad thing at AC) to facilitate the bag being transferred to YVR upon arrival at YYZ as it would lack a bar code. If the baggage handlers couldn't take the bag off the plane and put it on the right carousel at YYZ, I'm really sceptical that they would have handled the connection to YVR properly. That bag was effectively lost as soon as it left the OP's hand in RSW, regardless of what was written on that baggage tag; they could have handwritten "Valhalla" as the destination and it still probably would have ended up in YXY.

Unlike many here, it seems, I totally respect the OP for their choice to vote with their feet. I did something similar last year when I bailed from BA to AC (I would have no status on BA at all this year if they didn't have a soft-landing system for status). Cost cutting taken to an extreme has made BA, once an excellent airline to fly with, a poor value proposition flying YYZ-LHR given the fact that pricing on AC & BA tend to be identical on this route. Choosing to take our business elsewhere is really the only recourse we have against poor treatment by large airlines; unfortunately in Canada the lack of significant competition makes it much more difficult to do. I'm lucky that most of my travel is TATL where there is competition from foreign airlines who also fly non-stop on several routes.
I was in the middle of the Group 1 board. Not having used Concourse B airlines much, I encountered a much longer wait in the Pre line, than I’m accustomed to at C (Delta) or D (American). My bad, but heeding the airlines’ warnings about how much time to allow before departure would have made my life less productive, by probably 12 months.

I was at the gate when my group was called. I maintain it’s reasonable to expect room for one, compliant (OK, Lev, maybe not Air Canada compliant by 1 cm, but meeting IATA dimensions for international travel) piece of luggage in the premium cabin, for each seat sold.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Wink

Originally Posted by see2xu
I am on the last Air Canada trip, of my life. Having migrated Stateside some 23 years ago, my interactions with the onetime “Peoples’ Airline” have been few and far between lately, the last coming over 4 years ago.

Normally, I transit between my home airport (RSW, Southwest Florida International) and Vancouver, 2 or 3 times a year, using DL, and connecting at MSP. However, DL had gotten so greedy since my last trek, in November, that they were almost 50% higher than AC, when I sought to book passage, early in December. Swallowing hard, I accepted that connections at Pearson were in my near future.

Sunday, I boarded a 767-300, and felt myself transported back to the ‘80s, when I was based in Ottawa, and then Toronto, covering Canada and frequently visiting the U.S. The Gimli Glider-era aircraft was unchanged from that long-ago part of my life, other than a garish Rouge paint job, and sloppily-fitted fabric seat covers, replacing the mauve “Executive Class” ones that dwelt in the dark recesses of my memory.

Including the overhead luggage compartments, conceived long before wheeled rollaboard suitcases became the inseparable companion of every business traveler. My 4-wheeled Tumi 22” bag would not fit in the space available, despite my having boarded with the rest of my fellow Business Class travelers. Unable to spare room in the forward (crew) closet, the FAs insisted on airside checking it. I specified that I would retrieve it at YYZ, fearing the added risk of a connection, with a handwritten tag stuck on in haste. And, the notoriously slow YVR handling process awaiting me at my ultimate destination.

They lost it.

It failed to appear on the carousel in Toronto. A report to a disinterested “baggage service” agent in the immigration hall instilled little confidence, and all I got was a piece of paper that let me escape past the crack Canadian border agents into the insecure area at T1, forced to re-enter with the thronging hordes because I thought I was going to get my bag back.

On the connecting flight, I got a text message from my wife in Florida. She reported that someone with AC in Toronto had called her (her contact info was attached to the bag, as was a Delta SkyMiles tag bearing my name), and she informed them that I was going to Vancouver. The agent assured her that he would put it on the next flight to YVR, which would have left either 1 1/2 or 3 hours after mine.

I contacted Nordstrom, and had clothes to my specifications delivered to my hotel, as I had a business meeting to attend the next morning, and felt that the chances of the bag showing up in time was pretty slender.

I filed a report with “baggage services” on arrival in Vancouver, with tag #, description, and the location I needed the suitcase sent to, expecting to find it in my room after the meetings ended, the next day.

But, no. Further inquiries, by myself, and the executive assistant at the firm where I was engaged in meetings, resulted in no useful information being produced.

After all the meetings concluded, I returned, myself, to the YVR domestic baggage service counter, fairly confident that it was gathering dust in an unattended corner of their storage area, and that the immediacy of having a deeply unsatisfied customer physically present might prompt some initiative on the part of the good UniFor members. Astonishingly, the agent informed me that the bag was due to arrive in about twenty minutes....on a flight from Whitehorse!

Bear in mind, this is a carryon bag that I expected to roll all the way to my Vancouver destination, and back!

Irate, I sought to rebook on another carrier for my return journey, but there were no palatable alternatives. So, I find myself on AC 104, winging my way for what I expect will be my last visit to the airport where I used to watch Constellations, Viscounts and North Stars take off and land, with my father, when we lived in a new subdivision a few kilometers to the east of the airfield.

To those who believe, as I do, that private enterprise offers a far more effective alternative to provide products and services people need, than public sector stewardship, Air Canada stands as a glaring contradication to that dogma. My experience shows that they have made no progress since the “We Aren’t Happy Until You’re Not Happy!” days as pork-barrel Crown Corporation, staffed with ruling party flunkies and entitled bargaining unit members.

And, so, Air Canada, farewell. Pasting stickers on every fuselage quoting a magazine nobody’s heard of naming you the Best North American Airline doesn’t make it so.

I’ve never been to Whitehorse, but my carryon has!

Conrad, this post was worth reading just for the sake of reading it. Always enjoy your National Post columns for the same reason
gcashin and 24left like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Wink

That's the part of the story I can't get my head around. OP says they boarded midway through group 1. There would have been oodles of space beyond the curtain. Why would FA not offer that alternative? Better yet, why would OP not just walk the bag back a few rows and do it themselves.
The cabin crew made no appearance in the passenger area until all were boarded. My Tumi was in an open bin, but the door wouldn’t close. I am not inclined to bury my bag back in steerage, on a widebody vacation flight, with a cnx awaiting me, when I’ve paid for a front cabin seat. In hindsight, I ought to have refused to let them airside check it, and sought other passage had they refused. I was insistent on the downbound flight, when I did board late (because the YVR inbound was 20 minutes late docking at C44, and I had to get to F68 to board), and they made the effort to rearrange things to make it fit.

They finally served the meals somewhere over Georgia, which thrilled my fellow travelers. No beverage service, either, until the meal cart was rolled out. My irate seat mate lit up his FA call button probably 20 minutes before they pulled back the curtain, to no avail.

Life is too short...
gcashin likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperCargo
I don't understand why people are blaming the OP for only checking the bag to YYZ. Assuming that the gate-checked baggage tag is written by hand, that seems like a very sensible thing to do, as it would take more human intervention (which is usually a bad thing at AC) to facilitate the bag being transferred to YVR upon arrival at YYZ as it would lack a bar code. If the baggage handlers couldn't take the bag off the plane and put it on the right carousel at YYZ, I'm really sceptical that they would have handled the connection to YVR properly. That bag was effectively lost as soon as it left the OP's hand in RSW, regardless of what was written on that baggage tag; they could have handwritten "Valhalla" as the destination and it still probably would have ended up in YXY.

Unlike many here, it seems, I totally respect the OP for their choice to vote with their feet. I did something similar last year when I bailed from BA to AC (I would have no status on BA at all this year if they didn't have a soft-landing system for status). Cost cutting taken to an extreme has made BA, once an excellent airline to fly with, a poor value proposition flying YYZ-LHR given the fact that pricing on AC & BA tend to be identical on this route. Choosing to take our business elsewhere is really the only recourse we have against poor treatment by large airlines; unfortunately in Canada the lack of significant competition makes it much more difficult to do. I'm lucky that most of my travel is TATL where there is competition from foreign airlines who also fly non-stop on several routes.
Thank you, Super Cargo. At least BA was once great. I don’t believe the same has ever been said about AC, except BY AC!
SuperCargo and Clipper801 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
4 takeaways from this fabulous thread:
  1. OP is very well spoken. Nice to read a rant with some substance and panache........
Agree.

Originally Posted by taupo
Conrad, this post was worth reading just for the sake of reading it. Always enjoy your National Post columns for the same reason
OK, that's hilarious. Being a huge fan of Conrad's writing style, I was thinking the exact same thing. But I feel a blend here, some Rex Murphy as well. Also, I don't think Conrad shops at Nordstrom.

Does anyone know if AC will give OP or his bag extra AQM for the extra distance flown?
gcashin likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 24left
OK, that's hilarious. Being a huge fan of Conrad's writing style, I was thinking the exact same thing. But I feel a blend here, some Rex Murphy as well. Also, I don't think Conrad shops at Nordstrom.
True, nor would he stoop to using the colloquial phrase, "my bad"

Really, how dare we refer to him as Conrad. Lord Black's columns usually have me reaching for a thesaurus, part of the intrigue of his writing style.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by taupo
True, nor would he stoop to using the colloquial phrase, "my bad"

Really, how dare we refer to him as Conrad. Lord Black's columns usually have me reaching for a thesaurus, part of the intrigue of his writing style.
LOL. As I say often, nothing beats a man who gives great pen, and not just Conrad and Rex, but a few here on AC FT. I prefer one rant about AC with some elegance and proper sentence structure.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I prefer one rant about AC with some elegance and proper sentence structure.
So much so, this case in particular, that I could't give two hoots what the rant was about.
24left and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by see2xu

I am not inclined to bury my bag back in steerage, on a widebody vacation flight, with a cnx awaiting me, when I’ve paid for a front cabin seat.
Understood, and neither am I. I would have been doing it with a hefty grudge indeed, but I personally would still rather that than playing the "Where Will My Bag Land" roulette

It sounds to me like there was genuinely terrible service on this flight. I have managed to avoid Rouge to date and will endeavor to continue the avoidance. I have rarely (if ever?) heard a glowing review. I cannot form an opinion of course but am comfortable going to my grave without the experience to do so.
SuperCargo, see2xu and 24left like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.