Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by see2xu
But, I haven’t flown a museum-quality, unrestored 767-300 in quite a while.
Putting aside the debate on whether the bag is a legal size or not, I have to agree at the ACR 767 bins are brutally small and antiquated.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
It’s a legal bag, and is sitting 1m above me right now, wheels-in, on AC’s A320. I may have the size wrong. It’s a Tumi TegraLight IATA-legal rollaboard, bought a couple of years ago. It fits up top on everything I’ve flown recently, aside from the commuters with airside check/retrieval. But, I haven’t flown a museum-quality, unrestored 767-300 in quite a while.
Yeah, that a 22" bag (assuming it is the "international" version) not 24", and with some work it will go in to the AC sizer; I finally tried mine quite recently for fun. It is legal carry-on. As you note it goes wheels in to the A320 just fine, as it will for the 787, 777 and 737 MAX 8. It needs to go sideways in to the E175/190s, unless you are on the starboard side in J and it will go wheels first there, and the remaining 767s need it put in sideways as well.

The problem is that:
a) As you point out, the ACr 767s have overhead bins that are from the 80s and, apparently, before the invention of rollboards. If Premium Rouge is full finding a spot for your bag can be challenging. This is true of the Embraers as well, which as noted will take your bag sideways but whose tiny bins won't take a full flight of carry-on if everyone is doing that.
b) In the winter people have a tendency to jam all sorts of extra crap up there. I was on an E190 yesterday and the SD was begging people not to stuff their coats up there as they boarded and they proceeded to ignore him and do it anyway. After boarding was finished it was 5 minutes of overhead bin Tetris followed by 5 minutes of tagging bags that would not fit in to the hold.

Anyway, sucks you had this happen to you. If you read through old threads there are no shortage of lost luggage nightmare stories.
see2xu likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
For those who subscribe to the “blame the victim” credo, this is the offending piece of luggage:

https://ca.tumi.com/p/tegra-lite-max...y-on-028720TG/

and any hairsplitters questioning the “international carry-on” designation, Canada and the Trump Nation are independent, sovereign states.

I confess, I relied on reports of frequent fliers based in Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal in framing my commentary about YVR luggage handling. As mentioned above, I have no direct experience, in this millennium, to draw upon to found an opinion on.
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Well you voted with your wallet. Fly Delta next time.
see2xu likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Why would you have tried to short check your bag to YYZ?

Did they hurt you 5 years ago?

Messing with their finely tuned system was your mistake. An US-DOM checked bag will have far more success making a tight connection then you would, especially if you put your personal CX at risk by waiting around for a bag and then reclearing security.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. AC chose that antiquity to pack in more sun seekers over the winter, without heeding the fact that most return with more stuff than they arrived with. And, of course, there’s a lot more outerwear on flights in the winter, terminating in Toronto, than there might be in August. I was mid-pack in “Group 1” (J Class and premier members), but the bins around my seat where already filled when I reached my seat - 3C. I’m not intimate with the contemporary AC fleet - but I do know that block of 76s that were acquired in the St. Pierre/Mulroney era.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
However, considering the $600CAD I spent to be at least minimally respectably attired, in clean clothes, at the meetings
You can make a request for Air Canada to reimburse your expenses due to the delay of your luggage. Last year I had a bag delayed due to a tight connection and I also had to buy clothes to attend a conference (and toiletries). Air Canada was quite punctual in sending me a cheque shortly after I submitted the form and the receipts.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=see2xu;30751162]
Thanks. AC chose that antiquity to pack in more sun seekers over the winter, without heeding the fact that most return with more stuff than they arrived with. And, of course, there’s a lot more outerwear on flights in the winter, terminating in Toronto, than there might be in August. I was mid-pack in “Group 1” (J Class and premier members), but the bins around my seat where already filled to where my bag would not fit, longitudinally, when I reached my seat - 3C.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Why would you have tried to short check your bag to YYZ?

Did they hurt you 5 years ago?

Messing with their finely tuned system was your mistake. An US-DOM checked bag will have far more success making a tight connection then you would, especially if you put your personal CX at risk by waiting around for a bag and then reclearing security.
The last trek was a code-share USAirways from CLT to Ft Mac. Not really their fault, but I’d lost track of who was in what terminal, and was dismayed to find that I had to traverse from T3 to T1 on the shuttle upon arrival. I don’t remember anything else, good or bad, about that trek.

My formative experiences with AC took place when St. Pierre I was living on Sussex Drive, and continued through the Mulroney era.

Last edited by see2xu; Feb 7, 2019 at 1:28 pm Reason: Incomplete
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Surprising that they could not accommodate the carry-on given the passenger was flying up-front. Not being on that flight, I would hazard a guess that some of the J bin space was crew bags. As was any space in the coat cabin though I am not even sure if a Rouge flight has a coat cabin.
Gate checking a bag on the plane is risky - I have seen FA's scribble seat numbers on paper and stick the offending bag out the front door. If that paper disappears or is incorrect, that bag is heading somewhere else which may be what happened here.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
It’s a legal bag, and is sitting 1m above me right now, wheels-in, on AC’s A320. I may have the size wrong. It’s a Tumi TegraLight IATA-legal rollaboard, bought a couple of years ago. It fits up top on everything I’ve flown recently, aside from the commuters with airside check/retrieval. But, I haven’t flown a museum-quality, unrestored 767-300 in quite a while.
Your bag is 56 cm long and AC's limit is 55 cm...
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

The original 763 design does have somewhat small bins in the middle section of the aircraft but a slightly oversized bag should have fit in the bins along the side of the aircraft. I'm assuming you arrived later in the boarding process and those were filled. These were standard-issue bins for the 763 up until they did a cabin design refresh. I suspect you'd have exactly the same issue on one of DL's 763's. They average almost exactly the same age - 21.6 years for ACr and 21.4 years for DL.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by The Lev
Your bag is 56 cm long and AC's limit is 55 cm...
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

The original 763 design does have somewhat small bins in the middle section of the aircraft but a slightly oversized bag should have fit in the bins along the side of the aircraft. I'm assuming you arrived later in the boarding process and those were filled. These were standard-issue bins for the 763 up until they did a cabin design refresh. I suspect you'd have exactly the same issue on one of DL's 763's. They average almost exactly the same age - 21.6 years for ACr and 21.4 years for DL.
I believe Delta has retired the 767-300 and is retrofitting the 767-400 with suites in J so looks like a big retrofit starting 2019
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
It fits in the sizer.

And, as I have noted, wheels first in anything in the AC mainline fleet except for the 767 and Embraers where it needs to go in sideways.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The last trek was a code-share USAirways from CLT to Ft Mac. Not really their fault, but I’d lost track of who was in what terminal, and was dismayed to find that I had to traverse from T3 to T1 on the shuttle upon arrival. I don’t remember anything else, good or bad, about that trek.

My formative experiences with AC took place when St. Pierre I was living on Sussex Drive, and continued through the Mulroney era.
Well, again, applying your personal and obsolete workarounds and messing with the system is hardly ACs fault. Getting a lost bag in less than a week is pretty good, industry wide.

You made a calculated choice to not be normal. And you lost.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's this, then it is borderline legal, and it will easily fit sideways in the 763 bin: https://ca.tumi.com/p/tegra-lite-max...on-028720TG/If it's this:
Amazon Amazon
then it's a bit too wide, and only pushing the door hard will it end up fitting sideways in a 763.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.