Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mellon
The good news is AC has lots of 767's, and no plans so far to replace them.Oh no widebody's on order. Oh wait AC did buy 4 used A330s planes from the budget airline TAP, perhaps a few less 767s will be here in another year.
TAP is not a budget airline. Actually their Y pitch is much nicer than AC. They are a member of Star Alliance too BTW.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Stranger
TAP is not a budget airline. Actually their Y pitch is much nicer than AC. They are a member of Star Alliance too BTW.
People call Jet Blue or Southwest Budget... yet the legacy carrier cant even hold a candle against them in Y in terms of comfort and general perks (legroom or free checked bags)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 7, 2019 at 10:42 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by mellon
The good news is AC has lots of 767's, and no plans so far to replace them.Oh no widebody's on order. Oh wait AC did buy 4 used A330s planes from the budget airline TAP, perhaps a few less 767s will be here in another year..
AC mainline has already largely replaced their 767s with new 789s. Widebody orders: they have received 27 Dreamliners and have a pair still to come. The used A333s you mention are also designed in part to replace the 767 fleet.

As per the image below (from this AC presentation: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...018_MDA_q3.pdf), the last six remaining 767s will no longer sport the toothpaste scheme after this year (and will not be transferred to Rouge).

AC Rouge on the other hand, will retain their 25 767s for a few more years yet. I'm not aware of any meaningful or developed plan to replace them, but given their amortized cost, reasonable operating costs in current fuel prices and the investment they've sunk into them (winglets etc), we can expect to cram our half-inch-too-big roll-aboards sideways for a few more trips to come.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
OP, sorry to hear what happend to your carry-on. United lost my bag once as well, and I know the feeling of waking up in the middle of the night, checking the status of my lost bag. However, mine was just on plain, boring O'Hare, while yours got to travel to Whitehorse, and even came back with tags, proving that it was there once.

Anyway, great rant and hopefully we'll read a lot success stories after this
see2xu likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
But, no. Further inquiries, by myself, and the executive assistant at the firm where I was engaged in meetings, resulted in no useful information being produced.
I have stopped reading the original thread from there on.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Surprising that they could not accommodate the carry-on given the passenger was flying up-front. Not being on that flight, I would hazard a guess that some of the J bin space was crew bags. As was any space in the coat cabin though I am not even sure if a Rouge flight has a coat cabin.
Gate checking a bag on the plane is risky - I have seen FA's scribble seat numbers on paper and stick the offending bag out the front door. If that paper disappears or is incorrect, that bag is heading somewhere else which may be what happened here.
My take away message from all this (for me at least) is a) status with an airline is probably a good thing as they might have been more helpful and b) keep on using my trust roll aboard that fits even in EU sizers with a squeeze.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
I have to laugh at the flack the OP is getting. He was on J even. And he dared to expect some decent service. And even though his hugely oversized bag (by 1 cm) needed to be checked he had the audacity to have the bag only checked to his connection city.

i hope none here criticizing have ever had a long lay over for a connection and dare wanted their checked bag. Because apparently that is a guarantee that your bag will be lost because it is different than the norm. As we know customized requests cannot be handled. As any good customer service company knows the customer dies it your way or it’s the highway. Maybe the lost bag was his punishment for daring to ask for something a little different. Because no one ever wants their bag in a connection city.
SuperCargo, arf04, gcashin and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE
Smile

Originally Posted by see2xu
They finally served the meals somewhere over Georgia, which thrilled my fellow travelers. No beverage service, either, until the meal cart was rolled out. My irate seat mate lit up his FA call button probably 20 minutes before they pulled back the curtain, to no avail.

Life is too short...
I love this thread! I'm guessing you didn't join your fellow Florida bound rouge passengers in clapping once the plane had landed on the return?

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience, but glad you were able to turn a rant into a well written and amusing commentary on the adventure, and good to hear your roller bag was eventually returned after its unintended mileage run. If you have the occasion to step aboard another Air Canada plane in the near future, I do hope that you'll find some time to return with some additional colour commentary on your future adventures on AC!
see2xu and 24left like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
I have to laugh at the flack the OP is getting. He was on J even. And he dared to expect some decent service. And even though his hugely oversized bag (by 1 cm) needed to be checked he had the audacity to have the bag only checked to his connection city.

i hope none here criticizing have ever had a long lay over for a connection and dare wanted their checked bag. Because apparently that is a guarantee that your bag will be lost because it is different than the norm. As we know customized requests cannot be handled. As any good customer service company knows the customer dies it your way or it’s the highway. Maybe the lost bag was his punishment for daring to ask for something a little different. Because no one ever wants their bag in a connection city.
I think much of what you're reading as criticism or flack are merely observations - sprinkled with sympathy and a dose of 'been there myself'. There is no genuine excuse that a competent airline of Air Canada's scale & experience should so royally cock up a simple 'claim it halfway' request. The following may be 'hindsight helpfulness', but making such a spontaneous request - from inside the airplane - exponentially increases the chance of a bag being misdirected - especially when customs is involved. Travellers should note that when you remove a bag from inside the cabin to have it placed in the hold below, there are no tag printers or scanners to assist in its journey. The bag's fate is subject to the whims of the last person who handled it, and even with the most dedicated employees, competes with the distractions inherent in their regular duties.

I would love to know how it managed to get on a Jazz flight to the Yukon though. This suggests the bag arrived in Vancouver in a reasonably quick fashion, but that some overpaid ramp wizard glanced at it, shrugged and placed it on the nearest belt, which just happened to be assigned to a North of 60 destination.
see2xu likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I would love to know how it managed to get on a Jazz flight to the Yukon though.
This was my take away from the OP rant.

That and the poor in-flight experience that is rouge. After my recent flight last week, I feel as though paying for Premium rouge I was totally ripped off.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...uge-class.html
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I think much of what you're reading as criticism or flack are merely observations - sprinkled with sympathy and a dose of 'been there myself'. There is no genuine excuse that a competent airline of Air Canada's scale & experience should so royally cock up a simple 'claim it halfway' request. The following may be 'hindsight helpfulness', but making such a spontaneous request - from inside the airplane - exponentially increases the chance of a bag being misdirected - especially when customs is involved. Travellers should note that when you remove a bag from inside the cabin to have it placed in the hold below, there are no tag printers or scanners to assist in its journey. The bag's fate is subject to the whims of the last person who handled it, and even with the most dedicated employees, competes with the distractions inherent in their regular duties.

I would love to know how it managed to get on a Jazz flight to the Yukon though. This suggests the bag arrived in Vancouver in a reasonably quick fashion, but that some overpaid ramp wizard glanced at it, shrugged and placed it on the nearest belt, which just happened to be assigned to a North of 60 destination.
Might have been tagged incorrectly. If the FA wrote the wrong seat number or the ramp read it incorrectly, it could have accompanied another passenger to Yukon.
I am also amazed that the OP got it back in reasonable time given some of the bag issues discussed on this forum. Yes, I understand reasonable time is subjective but there are other passengers that do not see their bag for a week. And even more impressive after the bag headed up to Yukon. Maybe the bag needs its own travel blog like Flat Stanley from grade school
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by see2xu
Life is too short...
This.
24left likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Victim Blaming

[QUOTE=The Lev;30751260]Your bag is 56 cm long and AC's limit is 55 cm...
https://ca.tumi.com/p/tegra-lite-max...y-on-028720TG/
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

The original 763 design does have somewhat small bins in the middle section of the aircraft but a slightly oversized bag should have fit in the bins along the side of the aircraft. I'm assuming you arrived later in the boarding process and those were filled. These were standard-issue bins for the 763 up until they did a cabin design refresh. I suspect you'd have exactly the same issue on one of DL's 763's. They average almost exactly the same age - 21.6 years for ACr and 21.4 years for DL.[/QUOTEc

OK, Lev, thanks for your insight. I now realize this whole f"(^!^>g mess was my fault, and that I have needlessly flamed AC over a 1 cm difference in their carry-on policy, and the IATA's prescription, bearing in mind that I was traveling on a J-class fare. I will now send them a cheque for the inconvenience I caused them when the same bag fit, comfortably, in the overhead bin on their A321 yesterday, from YVR to YYZ.

And, as a side note, I was in the middle of the Group 1 boarding crowd on Sunday. On the return flight, yesterday, I boarded somewhere between Groups 2 and 3, because my incoming AC flight was inexplicably late arriving, but by being insistent, they did find room for my suitcase, after minor inconvenience to the FAs.

Last edited by see2xu; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I remember a trip I did to YYZ 3 years ago where I burned some AE miles to go in J for a treat and WKRP was the best thing I could find on the IFE. It was a dire selection.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Regrets

Originally Posted by gcashin
I love this thread! I'm guessing you didn't join your fellow Florida bound rouge passengers in clapping once the plane had landed on the return?

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience, but glad you were able to turn a rant into a well written and amusing commentary on the adventure, and good to hear your roller bag was eventually returned after its unintended mileage run. If you have the occasion to step aboard another Air Canada plane in the near future, I do hope that you'll find some time to return with some additional colour commentary on your future adventures on AC!
Hate to disappoint you, but unless my executor defies my wishes and flies my casket back to Canada for burial on AC, I won't be reporting on any new misadventures for whatever remains of my life.

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me! Fool me dozens of time, well... I must be an Air Canada frequent flyer!"
gcashin and Jumper Jack like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.