Air Canada OTP Getting Worse?

Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
I had to wonder if the lack of ground crew was because they didn’t expect plane to be landing on time?​​​
AC aircraft waiting for ground crew on arrival seems to be a chronic problem in the last couple of years, especially mid to late evening @ YVR. (a) The plane has been in the air for 4 hours and they didn't know it was coming? Or (b) did they deliberately decide to only call in one ground crew and make the pax wait until they're ready? I think (b) would be more consistent with AC's operating culture: we wait for no one, but you must wait for us when we need you to.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sopwith
AC aircraft waiting for ground crew on arrival seems to be a chronic problem in the last couple of years, especially mid to late evening @ YVR.
Can't speak to YVR. Some years back it used to be pretty common at a number of different locations. However more recently I don't recall any case.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 5mm
I new someone would bring this up, not knowing the economic difference. Because WS is a lot smaller than AC and doesn’t have AC large presents in YYZ./YUL, their fleet doesn’t travel though these airport on a greater percentage.
AC has lots of Asia/Pacific and Europe routes that are not affected by weather that WS doesn't have, as a much great percentage of WS's routes are in Canada compared AC. AC is just chronically bad at scheduling and timkeeping.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:31 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jagboi
AC has lots of Asia/Pacific and Europe routes that are not affected by weather

Which one? Most of AC aircraft transit YYZ within 24 hours before or after their Asian/European flights. They do not keep any wide bodies that just fly out of YVR to international cities that I know of.

Last edited by 5mm; Feb 7, 2019 at 10:36 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:37 am

How about YVR-BNE? It's weather at the other end that's important, as there are no deicing issues at SYD, BNE or HKG for example. WS has to deal with flights that have weather issues at both ends. There are much greater chances for delay with a flight that has deicing or snow bound airports at both ends, than just one. Plus long flights have greater opportunity to make up time enroute, rather than a short flight like YXE-YYC. The odd are stacked in AC's favour to have better OTP compared to WS, yet they are 16% lower than WS.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Wouldn't the variety of aircraft used at AC play a role as well? The 737 or Q-400s used by WS would likely have different operational parameters.

I have had only one of my regular YYZ-YOW flights be on time this year, out of 14. Most are E90s, but I have been trying to fly the 763 more often, only because it's a more comfortable delay in those J pods...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Have you checked OTP for flights departing from SEA tonight? How does AC compare to AS or DL?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Have you checked OTP for flights departing from SEA tonight? How does AC compare to AS or DL?
The report I saw is for 2018 as a whole. It doesn't break out each operator at various airports. It ranks AC's OTP at 67.3%, AS at 81.1% and DL at 82.8%
Seattle airport is ranked at 80.4%

Of all the airlines ranked (those than fly more than 18,000 scheduled flights per year including LCC), the only worse airlines than AC were China Southern, China Eastern and Air China. That makes AC #126 out of 129.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:56 am
5mm
Suspended

How about YVR-BNE? .

The aitcraft that does the YVR-BNE usually comes from YUL, does 2 cycle pairings of YVR-BNE and them usually returns back to Eastern Canada. Sometimes it will do a Asian run first.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
The report I saw is for 2018 as a whole. It doesn't break out each operator at various airports. It ranks AC's OTP at 67.3%, AS at 81.1% and DL at 82.8%
Seattle airport is ranked at 80.4%

Of all the airlines ranked (those than fly more than 18,000 scheduled flights per year including LCC), the only worse airlines than AC were China Southern, China Eastern and Air China. That makes AC #126 out of 129.
And those 3 have heavily restricted airspace to blame and horrible air traffic in a country of 1+ billion. And worse weather than AC has to deal with.

Amazing how some people can still defend world's worst OTP by this airline.
mellon likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 5mm

The aitcraft that does the YVR-BNE usually comes from YUL, does 2 cycle pairings of YVR-BNE and them usually returns back to Eastern Canada. Sometimes it will do a Asian run first.
I think you mean 'usually comes from EWR'. The New York --> Brisbane flight is almost always a through-aircraft.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC*A
From FR24.com:

I'm pretty sure it changed when 548/9 got upgauged to the 789?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Yes, there are periods of the slow season in which AC subs the 788 in favour of the 789 to BNE (the 789s in turn replace 77Ws to destinations such as HKG). The 788 from YUL to Brisbane is uncommon, despite what this week's activity displays. 549 generally continues as 35, but there are no hard & fast rules, and if there were, we could always find exceptions.

I think the issue of bad weather at AC hub airports is a bit of a red herring. With 80 years of operation, AC should by now understand the seasonal challenges of operating in this country during winter, and draw their schedules accordingly.
KenHamer, Bohemian1 and smallmj like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:42 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I think you mean 'usually comes from EWR'. The New York --> Brisbane flight is almost always a through-aircraft.
The flight comes from EWR usually if it does only a single cycle to BNE or is on the summer schedule.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rankourabu
And the majority of the other carriers flights originate from airports that never have weather such as ORD, EWR, LGA, MSP, DTW.... Clearly weather only affects AC hubs.

Can't wait to see January numbers after December showed AC 15%+ lower than anyone else in North America.
Even airports outside of the snowhelt can have frequent severe weather related issues. I remember sitting on a taxiing AA flight out of DFW just after a thunderstorm ground hold, and pilot announcing we were "number seventy four" in the line up.

And if it's all weather related delays because of where Air Canada flies, then they need to insert a massive does of reality into their published schedules. Air Canada pretending that winter flying is exactly the same as summer flying (while at the same time chastising passengers for not knowing that winter flying is completely different than summer flying) is hardly rational.

I mean I understand that people in Ontario are bewildered on those rare occasions when all the ground turns white. But to the rest of the world there's a reason why it's known as the Great White North.
24left likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.