Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Aeroplan reward tickets with less than 21 days

Old Feb 5, 19, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Have 2 reward tickets to fly from YYZ to SAN in 3 days and need to cancel. From reading previous posts see that the change fee is now $100.00 per direction . So for 2 people would that be $ 400.00? Plus I don't have any definite plans for future flights so assume that I would have to book something and then pay another change fee when I find some flights that I want. Is it worth it for 62,000 points used to book the original flights? How much do they say an Aeroplan point is worth these days?
Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE, DL Slv, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, FPC Plat, SPG Plt, HY Glb, HH Gold, MR Plt, IHG Plt
You can simply cancel the flight. No need to rebook now; you only pay the change fee when you rebook your flight. You have up to 1 year from the date you originally made the reservation (i.e. the date you bought the ticket, not the date you were scheduled to start travel) to start travel on a revised booking. If you don't rebook, you simply forfeit your points without incurring a change fee.

It's up to you to decide whether the change fee is worth it or not. $400 for 62,000 points is 0.64 CPM. If you can get more value out of the points than that, then its worth it, IMHO, but there are also various opinions on comparing to revenue tickets due to differing conditions such as limited availability of seats, higher restrictions on award tickets, etc.

Also, if you want to get your points back, you'd need to rebook for a flight over 22 days out, and then pay a change fee to cancel. This will incur 2 fees, so IMHO wouldn't be worth it.

https://www.aeroplan.com/faqhelp/531...entLanguage=en

There is no fee at time of cancellation, but the change fee (as per above chart) will apply when you re-book your trip.
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Do SE pay to cancel/change the tickets? Are Diamond members the same as SE members?
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE, DL Slv, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, FPC Plat, SPG Plt, HY Glb, HH Gold, MR Plt, IHG Plt
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
Do SE pay to cancel/change the tickets? Are Diamond members the same as SE members?
SE needs to pay. Diamond members are not the same as SE. SE is an Altitude program for (mostly) flying. Diamond is an Aeroplan program for spend. Diamond members still have to pay, but at a discounted rate.

All SE's who qualify with miles will have enough miles to be both SE and Diamond. In my case, I qualified on segments so didn't get enough miles earned last year to qualify for Diamond.