Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to use 33 e-upgrade credits from YOW? Nominee spot gone.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

Hi folks:

I have 33 eupgrade credits expiring end of this month (February 28). I am open to going anywhere (2-3 days) as long as I can get upgraded with the lowest cpm. I am based in YOW for the next few months. Thoughts on where to go to use these upgrade credits?

Thanks, and look forward to your ideas!

PS. My nominee spot is gone, and my nominee is busy with other commitments for the next month.

Last edited by aircanada_loyal; Feb 3, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Hi folks:

I have 33 eupgrade credits expiring end of this year. I am open to going anywhere (2-3 days) as long as I can get upgraded with the lowest cpm. I am based in YOW for the next few months. Thoughts on where to go to use these upgrade credits?

Thanks, and look forward to your ideas!

PS. My nominee spot is gone, and my nominee is busy with other commitments for the next month.
When you say "end of this year", you mean end of the 2018/19 benefit year, which is February 28, 2019. (?) I'm sure that's what you meant?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
When you say "end of this year", you mean end of the 2018/19 benefit year, which is February 28, 2019. (?) I'm sure that's what you meant?
sorry, typo, February 28, 2019.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is one of your requirements to upgrade all AC segments with a forward cabin, or are you ok with just upgrading, say the "longest" AC flight in the itinerary?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is one of your requirements to upgrade all AC segments with a forward cabin, or are you ok with just upgrading, say the "longest" AC flight in the itinerary?
I’m open to both. What do you have in mind?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
I’d buy an Expertflyer subscription, then look for R space from YUL and YYZ. Book something that’s already in the upgrade window and is at least R1, and then you’ll be able to upgrade right after you book.Don’t worry about the upgrade on the first segment from YOW...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, is this a mileage run, or would you just be flying somewhere to burn the eUps out or spite? If the latter, isn't it sort of throwing good money after bad?
eigenvector likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
OP, is this a mileage run, or would you just be flying somewhere to burn the eUps out or spite? If the latter, isn't it sort of throwing good money after bad?
That's a really good question. It's a MR (at the lowest cpm) that would allow me to burn my eUps.
I am reaching out to you, the experts, on what would be the best way to do a MR and use 33 eUps?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Lots of choices but depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Do you want a mini vacation (ie. go somewhere interesting--try Buenos Aires)

Do you want to earn lots of AQD for your time and guarantee your upgrade (ie. buy a full fare premium econo fare and upgrade immediately; will use up almost all the eupgrades on RT; 26 in all; you could go to Hong Kong or Buenos Aires or somewhere where there is a sale on Prem Econo fares)

Do you just want to guarantee your upgrade on a cheaper fare (ie buy a cheaper Flex fare with R space within the upgrade window so you can upgrade immediately; in Canada will use up about 22 eupgrades on lowest flex fare for a long flight)

I am sure there are other choices too.

For me, if I really wanted to use those eupgrades, I would likely choose a mini (or full) vacation, and guarantee my upgrade on a cheaper Flex fare within the eupgrade window; be flexible about where I wanted to go but I have ExpertFlyer to check on R space).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Willing to go to China?

Some decent fares this weekend are available...

You can try PVG, PEK and also try TPE.

Look at Flex and/or PE Lowest. Upgrades seem to be available on all long flights and you can upgrade right away... Fare will range $1700-$1900.

If you end up going YOW-YVR or YVR-YOW direct and the rest of the leg to Asia in PE, you will be booked in Latitude (probably B fare) for the DOM portion and can upgrade from Z fare (ie you dont need R for the the DOM portion).

Or you can fly to and form ICN with me this weekend , but that will probably be more expensive.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Will I need a visa for China if I am there for less than 72 hours, and go Canada-China-Canada? I am a Canadian citizen.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Thanks. Will I need a visa for China if I am there for less than 72 hours, and go Canada-China-Canada? I am a Canadian citizen.
For less than 72 hours, your dont need a visa if you are travelling to a "third country or region'. I assume that in Canada-China-Canada, coming back to Canada is considered a "third country", but perhaps someone else can opine. I have a Chinese visa so have never had to use the 72 hour rules.

TPE does not require any visa.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Plumber
For less than 72 hours, your dont need a visa if you are travelling to a "third country or region'. I assume that in Canada-China-Canada, coming back to Canada is considered a "third country", but perhaps someone else can opine. I have a Chinese visa so have never had to use the 72 hour rules.

TPE does not require any visa.
No, Canada-China-Canada does not qualify, easy test, how many unique countries do you count in that routing
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
No, Canada-China-Canada does not qualify, easy test, how many unique countries do you count in that routing
Thank you.... though the rules do not mention 'unique'....though is does mention'third' But, again I have never used the 72-hour rule.

So TPE still works for the OP and upgrades are available this weekend.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
TPE would be my choice. I have heard nothing but good things. Sadly I have only transited through a few times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.