Search

Random Widebodies on YYZ-YEG?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:07 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVR72

But some are moving to Rouge.
When? AC has only said that 319/321 were being moved to Rouge, which has happened already.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by asovse1
What dates are these? This sounds awesome!
My 788 flight is on Feb 22.

Even today though - frequency is completely normal at 7 flights, but 3 of those are on 763s, which is completely bizarre.

The 763s I kind of understand - like others have said, they're pulling them off TATL flights, so it makes sense they'd put them on transcons (though I'd have thought YYZ-YYC would be the priority). Its the 777s and 787s that surprise me more...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by pitz
Very few "business class" seats are actually filled with people travelling on, or being paid for by 'business' these days. The front cabin probably does better to the Carribean and Florida yield-wise, where you have retirees with money and rich people paying up, than it does on YEG/YVR/YYC where almost nobody is actually paying for it.
Based on? A gut feeling?

I was surprised to see a last minute full-fare J pax be driven up to AC 33 last night for YYZ-YVR who was confirmed in the last J seat and the agents were debating with the concierge on which Elite they should deplane. The conversation was comical and unnecessary, and the pax was not impressed when the lead agent advised "I realize you paid full J but I only have confirmed Business to YVR and Economy to SYD at the moment."

Not everyone is upgrading to YVR/YEG/YYZ.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 5mm

When? AC has only said that 319/321 were being moved to Rouge, which has happened already.
Check AC's fleet plan in its investor relations materials. See, for instance, page 22 of the Q3 MD&A. That shows 13 320s leaving the mainline fleet this year, with 3 being added at rouge.

Remember that, while the vast majority of the 320 fleet is ancient and probably headed straight to the scrapyard, AC has a handful of 320s that were built in the early 2000s, which could easily lead long and productive lives at rouge:
  • C-FGJI, first delivered June 2002
  • C-FGKH, first delivered May 2003
  • C-FXCD, first delivered June 2003
  • C-FZQS, first delivered December 2003
  • C-FZUB, first delivered March 2003
  • C-GJVT, first delivered March 2002
  • C-GKOD, first delivered October 2002
  • C-GKOE, first delivered November 2002

AC's materials haven't indicated when the 320s will start to transition out, but it's possible that it could be happening now or soon and this could be impacting the schedule oddities that OP is seeing.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:11 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Check AC's fleet plan in its investor relations materials. See, for instance, page 22 of the Q3 MD&A. That shows 13 320s leaving the mainline fleet this year, with 3 being added at rouge.

Remember that, while the vast majority of the 320 fleet is ancient and probably headed straight to the scrapyard, AC has a handful of 320s that were built in the early 2000s, which could easily lead long and productive lives at rouge:
  • C-FGJI, first delivered June 2002
  • C-FGKH, first delivered May 2003
  • C-FXCD, first delivered June 2003
  • C-FZQS, first delivered December 2003
  • C-FZUB, first delivered March 2003
  • C-GJVT, first delivered March 2002
  • C-GKOD, first delivered October 2002
  • C-GKOE, first delivered November 2002

AC's materials haven't indicated when the 320s will start to transition out, but it's possible that it could be happening now or soon and this could be impacting the schedule oddities that OP is seeing.
I would think they will start retiring the A320's after the summer flying season. AC pax loads are still high.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 5mm
I would think they will start retiring the A320's after the summer flying season. AC pax loads are still high.
It probably depends more on the arrival of new 7M8s than anything else.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC 35k
AC is running 2-3 763s daily YYC-YYZ most of the winter (two mid day and one red eye) and usually does. They have to fly the wide bodies so much and there is less demand for them in winter.

YEG usually gets one 763 in winter. Can't speak to the random larger aircraft.

For YYC anyway you get signature service year round.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
For YYC anyway you get signature service year round.
No Signature Service to YYC or YEG:

Originally Posted by Air Canada website
Air Canada is the only North American airline offering lie-flat seats on the following non-stop routes: daily and overnight flights between Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver and Toronto; and daily flights between Montreal, New York-Newark and Vancouver
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC 35k
If you book it on aircanada.com it will say signature. Unless there is a soft product difference on the 763s.

More like YYC is always an asterisk in the hub/ service discussion for AC.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you book it on aircanada.com it will say signature. Unless there is a soft product difference on the 763s.

Actually service on YYC-YYZ on the 763 is signature service. Menu, wines, pad, are the same as overseas service. Differs from service on narrowbodies on the same route.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually service on YYC-YYZ on the 763 is signature service. Menu, wines, pad, are the same as overseas service. Differs from service on narrowbodies on the same route.
I stand corrected. Since it was not part of the announcement of North American signature service, and my only domestic 763 flight shortly after that announcement had no Signature Service, I assumed it still wasn't available.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Managed to ride in a J seat on a 788 for AC173 YYZ to YEG Feb 15. Was a bit disoriented as it felt like there should be some slippers included.

Great experience and top notch crew for the flight. It will be tough to think about having to go back to the A320 for the next flight.

PointWeasel likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Curious where this 788 flew after it landed in YEG? I can check the inbound but how do you check outbound?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Curious where this 788 flew after it landed in YEG? I can check the inbound but how do you check outbound?
Search for the plane by its registration on FlightAware or FlightRadar. That will pull up a whole bunch of recent flights.

But the answer is likely a very mundane "right back to YYZ".
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But the answer is likely a very mundane "right back to YYZ".
Right on that - was AC 162 back to YYZ on the 16th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.