Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC738 on 787 switched to AC756 on 737 in J. Any recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Hi. I had an Aeroplan booking for December on AC738 in J. When I booked, this was operating with the 787 and Air Canada is very clear to note that it "Includes lie-flat seats" when you book these with cash. Now I'm seeing that from the end of October onward this flight is gone and I've been moved onto AC756 which is on a 737. I would rather just pay cash and fly J on United's SFO-YYZ flight if I'm going to be on a 737 anyway.

Do I have any recourse here? I'd like to just get my miles and taxes back without having to pay the Aeroplan cancel fee but I don't know if that's possible.

I'd also like to know if anyone can confirm that the flight is indeed gone from the schedule and won't be returning for that time period. I seem to remember the flight number AC756 being run on a 787 in the past so could it be that the 737 is a placeholder?

Last edited by nexusCFX; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:40 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Which date? I checked for some random dates and AC756 says B737 MAX but that flight uses the plane coming from YYZ as AC737 which is a B787. So that makes no sense.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chebert999
Which date? I checked for some random dates and AC756 says B737 MAX but that flight uses the plane coming from YYZ as AC737 which is a B787. So that makes no sense.
Dec 24. Every date I check in Nov/Dec lists 7M8 now though. If it's using the plane from AC737 hopefully this is just a temporary mistake rather than an actual equipment change. In any case I do wish they had not loaded flights for AC738 if they weren't going to fly it though.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A specific aircraft or seat type is never guaranteed, just a class of travel. Maybe AC will be nice to you but you have no formal recourse. That said, if this is December 2019, there may be numerous aircraft switches until then.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
AC may give you some kind of discount on future travel. As the other FTers outlined above, the aircraft and seat type can change at the last minute without prior notice.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
A specific aircraft or seat type is never guaranteed, just a class of travel. Maybe AC will be nice to you but you have no formal recourse. That said, if this is December 2019, there may be numerous aircraft switches until then.
Originally Posted by codfather
AC may give you some kind of discount on future travel. As the other FTers outlined above, the aircraft and seat type can change at the last minute without prior notice.
That's fair since it's an award, although I don't think it would hold up for a revenue ticket since they advertise and sell the 787 flights specifically as having lie-flat seats. Going to call AC and AP shortly.

My main issue is that they sold me a flight that they then removed. It's not like this is an equipment swap. Also, when you pull it up in the flight schedule tool for Dec 24 it shows AC756 as a 787 at 12:10 even though what's being sold is the 7M8 at 12:35 so I'm just unclear on whether this is an actual change or some error.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Check your fare calculation. If you are ticketed on a flight operated by a 787 and then downgagued, and if your fare calculation includes an upfare for signature service, then you'd be entitled to claim that fare difference, but nothing from the base fare.
codfather, nexusCFX and m.y like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC*SE
Check your fare calculation. If you are ticketed on a flight operated by a 787 and then downgagued, and if your fare calculation includes an upfare for signature service, then you'd be entitled to claim that fare difference, but nothing from the base fare.
Thankfully this is not a paid ticket. If I had paid cash I would be pushing for a refund or I would do a chargeback due to how the flights are advertised as I mentioned above.
codfather likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Thankfully this is not a paid ticket. If I had paid cash I would be pushing for a refund or I would do a chargeback due to how the flights are advertised as I mentioned above.
A charge back would not be appropriate in this case if this were a revenue ticket; you'd only get a partial refund (unless full J in which case you can get a full refund regardless). AC has a policy on this. The link below is for international, there is also a tarrif document for domestic flights.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf

Rule 30.A.1.a states that there is a surcharge of $315 that applies to lie-flat Signature Class seats (I assume the $315 is CAD).

Rule 100 D deals with carrier-caused refunds, including downgrade of service.
  • Subsection 2.c.i states that you're entitled to fare difference, if applicable, if the change is made more than 7 days in advance.
  • If the change is less than 7 days away, the table in subsection 2.c.ii would apply (note that Signature Class and Business Class are different classes on the table); in this case you'd get a refund of the $315 surcharge.
AFAIK for Aeroplan tickets, you redeemed a "business" class ticket. While you may have been seated in a better seat than typical business class seat, regular business is all you redeemed for. In the past IIRC AC has treated the lie-flat seats as a "bonus" for Aeroplan redemptions. You are not entitled to any refund (unless you paid a premium in the fare calculation as stated by AC*SE), but AC may offer you some goodwill discount for future travel. Aeroplan might also be lenient on change fees for such a situation.

Also, please note that things do change. Rule 100 D.d states "Refund can only be determined once travel is completed, and the appropriate class of service has been provided." You may want until after travel to complain as things could always change back; AC might be more willing to give goodwill compensation after the fact.
YVRYEGYVR likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:49 am

I wouldn’t do anything for a while yet in any case and just monitor. Aircraft changes happen quite often this far out, and sometimes (in my experience) multiple times within a week or two timeframe. It can take a while for everything to settle in their systems.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
A charge back would not be appropriate in this case if this were a revenue ticket; you'd only get a partial refund (unless full J in which case you can get a full refund regardless). AC has a policy on this. The link below is for international, there is also a tarrif document for domestic flights.

AFAIK for Aeroplan tickets, you redeemed a "business" class ticket. While you may have been seated in a better seat than typical business class seat, regular business is all you redeemed for. In the past IIRC AC has treated the lie-flat seats as a "bonus" for Aeroplan redemptions. You are not entitled to any refund (unless you paid a premium in the fare calculation as stated by AC*SE), but AC may offer you some goodwill discount for future travel. Aeroplan might also be lenient on change fees for such a situation.

Also, please note that things do change. Rule 100 D.d states "Refund can only be determined once travel is completed, and the appropriate class of service has been provided." You may want until after travel to complain as things could always change back; AC might be more willing to give goodwill compensation after the fact.
Totally agree. In my case I am not owed anything by law or contract. Just hoping I might get some leniency.

Originally Posted by arf04
I wouldn’t do anything for a while yet in any case and just monitor. Aircraft changes happen quite often this far out, and sometimes (in my experience) multiple times within a week or two timeframe. It can take a while for everything to settle in their systems.
As mentioned by someone above, for Nov/Dec AC is flying two 787s on YYZ-SFO every day and only one back, so I'm hoping it will switch back as I've never seen anything but a 772/787 on the ~12pm flight.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX

As mentioned by someone above, for Nov/Dec AC is flying two 787s on YYZ-SFO every day and only one back.
They can only accumulate so many. No more than what they have.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I agree with the advice to wait a bit and see how it shakes out.

OP, a couple of further thoughts, in case this doesn't go back to being a 787:
  1. Your original flight has been cancelled and replaced with a new one with a different flight number. Practically, this should allow you to call Aeroplan and indicate that your flight has been cancelled and the re-booked flight is not acceptable, so you want a full refund. No need to delve in to details about why you're unhappy with the new flight and no need to worry even if the new flight is at exactly the same time as the previous flight. Historically, a cancellation like this has been essentially carte blanche to cancel/change.
  2. If, for some reason, point 1 is unsuccessful, you also have recourse to the "schedule irregularities" portion of the AC tariff. Rule 80(C)(1)(c) defines "Substitution of equipment or of a different class of service" as one of the schedule irregularities. Under Rule 80(C)(4)(d), you can choose no longer to travel and request an "involuntary refund", which essentially means that you get a full refund without penalty.

Note that my comments in point 2 above differ from the advice provided by YEG USER earlier. YEG USER's comments assume that you decide to travel on this ticket, in which case Rule 100(D)(2)(c) that he has cited is indeed the operating provision. However, if you invoke Rule 80(C)(4)(d) to not travel, Rule 100(D)(2)(a) is the relevant provision regarding refunds. This states that "a full refund will be issued".

In summary: if you prefer to fly on the 787, wait it out a bit and see if it comes back. Once they reconcile the discrepancy between the outbound and inbound being different aircraft types, you should have your answer as to which equipment will likely operate it (always subject to further change, of course). If you prefer to fly UA regardless, just cancel now. My point 1 should be sufficient, but if not, point 2 should get you there.
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 1, 2019 at 3:46 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
In summary: if you prefer to fly on the 787, wait it out a bit and see if it comes back. Once they reconcile the discrepancy between the outbound and inbound being different aircraft types, you should have your answer as to which equipment will likely operate it (always subject to further change, of course).
Thank you for the post. Super helpful. Thank you to everyone else who took the time to reply as well. I will wait it out to see how the plane discrepancy is resolved and act accordingly.
If you prefer to fly UA regardless
No, definitely not. It just comes down to not wanting to burn 25k miles to fly a 737, and in the case of switching to a paid ticket if I can't get a pod then UA P fares on this route are priced less than AC.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Glad FT could be helpful. I hope the 787 comes back on the schedule for you. Keep us posted!
nexusCFX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.