Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booked AP ticket 6 months ago, flying in 2 weeks, SQ can't find me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

So I booked a ticket in July, got a booking ref for AC and a ticket number (and have the email still). A day or so later, one leg opened up in J and got ticket reissued

Called in today to reserve seats as I'm flying in 2 weeks... and SQ has no record of my existence. They are able to locate my child and spouse who's on a separate booking due to the mismatched cabin of service issues.

On AC's manage my booking the flights show up as expected though.

I'll call Aeroplan in the morning, but would like to hear feedback from others about what to do or be aware of. Thanks!

YVR-SEA AC
SEA-ICN-SYD OZ (closed for the night)
SYD-SIN-HKG SQ (called 3 agents, none could see me from eticket number nor by name)
HKG-TPE-YVR (got the last leg upgraded which caused the reissue last July)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by crimsona
So I booked a ticket in July, got a booking ref for AC and a ticket number (and have the email still). A day or so later, one leg opened up in J and got ticket reissued

Called in today to reserve seats as I'm flying in 2 weeks... and SQ has no record of my existence. They are able to locate my child and spouse who's on a separate booking due to the mismatched cabin of service issues.

On AC's manage my booking the flights show up as expected though.

I'll call Aeroplan in the morning, but would like to hear feedback from others about what to do or be aware of. Thanks!

YVR-SEA AC
SEA-ICN-SYD OZ (closed for the night)
SYD-SIN-HKG SQ (called 3 agents, none could see me from eticket number nor by name)
HKG-TPE-YVR (got the last leg upgraded which caused the reissue last July)
The only suggestion I have is to check the ticket on the Saudia Airllines site and see what comes up. Go to “My Trip” and enter your eticket number and last name. You may be able to glean something from there before calling Aeroplan when they open. Good luck. Does not sound very pleasant.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
There seem to be repeated (though doubtless still infrequent) reports of miscommunication like this between Aeroplan and SQ in particular. Good that you found it now rather than day of departure!

Are you attached to flying SQ in particular? Not sure what your other options are, and whether all of you are on J tickets (with just one of them clearing into J on this leg a while back). If yes, since the likely resolution would involve Aeroplan buying you a seat in your confirmed class of service for $$ from SQ, it might be worth trying to negotiate an alternate routing with all 3 of you confirmed in J. Don't know if it will work, but in particular if Aeroplan could do that by opening up AC J seats for you, they might prefer it to buying SQ J for $$.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

To close the loop on this, my ticket fell apart somewhere. Using the new ticket number issued post X-I upgrade, I do see my itinerary on Saudia, and the record locator shows up on AC manage my booking

Called Aeroplan, and they confirmed something was messed up somewhere after liaising with SQ/BR/OZ themselves. Sent to ticketing to come up with a solution. Ticketing agent called back and claimed that Asiana and Eva won't open up new award seats so they were looking to reroute me on AC.

Didn't have access to EF to verify claims, so I'm taking them at their word. Said YVR-SYD direct had only 1 seat available for J to I conversion for Friday Feb 15 and Saturday Feb 16th (original departure date), or 3 seats on Feb 17th. For the sake of my marriage, I opted to lose a night in Sydney and fly together instead of them flying the long way on Saturday and I take it easy.

Overall, I'm actually happy with Aeroplan. They took responsibility, provided reasonable alternatives (flight #3 will SHOCK YOU), and got new tickets issued in 3 hours from initial point of contact. Both agents I spoke to (front line and ticketing) were easy and a pleasure to deal with. Now to buy a lottery ticket.

Old routing:

YVR-SEA AC
SEA-ICN-SYD OZ
SYD-MEL-SYD (QF side trip booked through Avios)
SYD-(CBR tech stop)-SIN-HKG SQ
HKG-TPE-YVR

New routing
YVR-SYD AC (opened 3 seats in I class, one day later)
SYD-MEL (QF need to cancel and rebook as one way, I screwed that up)
MEL-HKG (CX D class <---I didn't even know this was possible, they suggested SYD-HKG, I asked if MEL-HKG was possible and it was)
HKG-YVR AC (opened 3 seats in I class)

I'll take it!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Aeroplan put you on CX? Even though they are OneWorld, not *A?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Had AE do they same for myself last year MLE-HKG after an SQ ticketing error.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Yup.

Can someone with expert flyer list how many seats there are in the j fare buckets for Friday the 15th and Saturday Feb 16th ? Curious to see if there's a correlation to what Aeroplan has access to, perhaps anything outside of full fare j ?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
AC33 on...

14FEB2019
J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E2 N0 Y4 B4 M4
U4 H4 Q4 V4 W3 G2 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 F0
15FEB2019
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E2 N0 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 F0
16FEB2019
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O2 E1 N0 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T0 L0 A0 K0 F0
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Should have asked for the 14th, would have been an extra 3 nights in Australia instead of spending the weekend at home... too late now. Dammit. Only inquired about 15/16/17
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:26 am

I wonder:

* If you could end up earning a bunch of miles on these.

* If you now have actual J and are entitled to free changes - Feb 14

Regardless - congratulations! If only AP screwed up and corrected this well for all of us!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
To close the loop on this, my ticket fell apart somewhere. Using the new ticket number issued post X-I upgrade, I do see my itinerary on Saudia, and the record locator shows up on AC manage my booking

Called Aeroplan, and they confirmed something was messed up somewhere after liaising with SQ/BR/OZ themselves. Sent to ticketing to come up with a solution. Ticketing agent called back and claimed that Asiana and Eva won't open up new award seats so they were looking to reroute me on AC.
Congrats on having the issues resolved quickly and actually a better itinerary than originally issued.

I am not sure I understand the nature of reroute - from the original itinerary the portion involved SQ was on the inbound, i.e. the return portion. But the new route is ticketed with outbound changed also (to the direct YVR-SYD flight). Why would the outbound also changed?

May I ask you, have you checked SQ after the X->I reissue? I am surprised to see Saudia shows correct itinerary with the new eTicket, yet SQ fell apart? I thought if the ticket shows up on Saudia correctly, it would mean the partners see the same thing?

This got me a bit nerveous as I have an itinerary booked 2 weeks ago for Sept/Oct travel that have SQ segments SIN-PER-SIN-HKG. Good to know they can rebook you on CX flight to HKG.

My general practice is shortly after ticket issued I go to partner sites to check on reservation and select seats. Do this after each reissue should there are such. Saudia site did catch some UA reissue mistakes in the past. i.e. there are discrepancies and the coupon status were wrong. That is why I am very surprised to learn that Saudia is not a fool proof check.

My itinerary on Aeroplan actually is totally screwed up. A whole block of BR flights are missing, i.e. HKG-TPE-IAH are no show, but they are found on BR site perfectly fine, so as Saudia. Aeroplan also displays the last segment being UA IAH-FLL, as the second segment between MIA-LIS and LIS-VCE, even told me there is airport change but calculating the layover time only with 24 hrs clock totally ignoring there are MANY DAYS in between.
Called Aeroplan several times, each time the agent said in their system the itinerary reads perfectly fine. UA site also show the full itinerary fine, even let me print a receipt with full breakdown of the taxes Aeroplan charged.
Since the trip is not until Sept I figure there would be multiple schedule changes, and ticket reissued because of that, so until then I will just not to worry about the erroneous display on Aeroplan site.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 2, 2019 at 9:21 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It is possible to issue a ticket without creating a PNR. It happened to me once with a 016 ticket and an NH flight number for an AC operated flight.

I was back and forth 6 times between AC (you do not have a reservation - just a ticket) and UA (everything is fine), before I finally got it resolved. I ended up with two different AC PNRs for one ticket.

So things like this are definitely possible, though uncommon.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
AC and CX are partners.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It is possible to issue a ticket without creating a PNR. It happened to me once with a 016 ticket and an NH flight number for an AC operated flight.

I was back and forth 6 times between AC (you do not have a reservation - just a ticket) and UA (everything is fine), before I finally got it resolved. I ended up with two different AC PNRs for one ticket.

So things like this are definitely possible, though uncommon.
UA did that to me in 2013 or 2014. When AC changed the schedule of our return flight YUL to FLL from afternoon (connected to the CDG-YUL flight) UA did a dirty quick fix by moving that flight to a separate ticket. AC could not see us on the flight when I called but eventually a 3rd agent dug deep and found it. It was on the same PNR according to the agent but split tickets.

The UA award had more involuntary changes after that, and then they found out changes could not be made with error of "out of sequence". Eventually a supervisor took time to fix it and the AC YUL-FLL flight was back to the original ticket,

It is this kind and many similar incidents that make me to check partners reservations immediately after the ticket is issued, to make sure things are there as expected.

Another curios question is - how would the YQ being recalculated - OP's original itinerary had OZ so there was YQ. The new itinerary has 2 longhaul AC - the YQ should be sizable. Did AC charge that on the involuntary changes?

I am still at a loss why the outbound is also changed while it is the inbound that AC "lost" the SQ reservation. SQ is not in the outbound portion,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.