Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insurance for a reward flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I see. So I'll make sure the insurance's trip interruption has benefits that allow continuing to next destination after missing a flight due to a misconnection or health reasons, preferably on the same class of travel (business class in my case), not economy.
Every contract I've read specifically says they will only pay to rebook you in Y.

Also to claim any sort of trip interruption for health reasons, most insurers require the medical condition to be severe enough that you would be hospitalized and deemed unfit to travel. In addition, they would send you straight home in Y to minimize their losses. The only exception I've seen is if you get sick prior to your trip starting and then you become well enough to travel before your trip was originally scheduled to end, then the insurers will typically pay to fly you to where you should be in Y.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Happy
You will need to examine the terms and conditions with extremely careful scrutiny on what are covered events and what are NOT,and never assume anything.

For example, most insurances do NOT cover trip interruption / cancellation caused by airlines own schedule changes, unless it is due to Airport Strikes. (happened to our trip last May when Italy aircontrollers went on strikes that caused airport closures, therefore all flights canceled between Sicily and FCO and MXP).

With your itinerary so complex, in the sense of using different programs on different segments, even on the same segment (your wife with lap infant on Aeroplan while you on United), you would be dealing with a nightmarish when something happened and you need to continue your trip.

I sincerely hope you have stopovers between each portion that you redeemed with different programs, and not just a layover. A stopover of a day or more, has some built in cushion in case the incoming flight had some issues whether delayed or outright canceled You may still have time to scramble for an alternative.
A layover even 10 hours, you might be SOL.
This is the peril of using multiple tickets. We are very accustom to such and would build in enough cushion on each portion but a lot of people dont pay enough attention to such.

May want to explore some general travel insurance as well - those would have broader list of covered events.
Thanks for the heads up and warnings. I'll make sure to read the full policy carefully.

All of our stopovers are 3+ days. There is only one instance where we have a layover that involves inboud and outbound not being on the same ticket and I'll try to have insurance that covers that.
Originally Posted by beep88
I am not aware of any insurance for the general public that covers onward travel in original class of service. It'll probably be too expensive.
RBC does have a rider called "Package Upgrade" that will pay for "same class" tickets.

I believe some of Manulife's policies also have a "same class" rider. Just google "trip interruption" "same class"
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: Free Agent
"protect your miles" with Manulife has an option for 'same class' of service on misconnect etc. As has been mentioned, you need to review the policy options (and parse the wording) carefully... and pay accordingly.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canolakid
"protect your miles" with Manulife has an option for 'same class' of service on misconnect etc. As has been mentioned, you need to review the policy options (and parse the wording) carefully... and pay accordingly.
can you buy that policy after placing ((not during) the reservation?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I went through the Certificates of Insurance of almost all major CCs and found:

If you only want to rely on CC for trip cancellation (at least change fees, redeposit fees), trip interruption etc. on point flights,
MR - Amex plat/gold/colbalt, etc. (but won't cover flights booked using miles transferred to AP/BA)
AP - TD/CIBC AP CC
AP, Avios, etc. - BMO WE which explicitly covers points flights if you charge full taxes/fees on it.

Other interesting findings:
RBC BA CC - will NOT provide coverage for Avios flights!
Scotia passport Visa - for regular cash bookings, only requires 75% or more of the trip cost charged to the card

The best annual AI travel insurance in terms of coverage is Blue Shield (used to be sold through AP.com till it was replaced by Manulife)
It's the only one that covers everything by default except for a few specified exclusions.
Other policies, especially CC policies, only cover specified events.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ericw
I went through the Certificates of Insurance of almost all major CCs and found:

If you only want to rely on CC for trip cancellation (at least change fees, redeposit fees), trip interruption etc. on point flights,
MR - Amex plat/gold/colbalt, etc. (but won't cover flights booked using miles transferred to AP/BA)
AP - TD/CIBC AP CC
AP, Avios, etc. - BMO WE which explicitly covers points flights if you charge full taxes/fees on it.

Other interesting findings:
RBC BA CC - will NOT provide coverage for Avios flights!
Scotia passport Visa - for regular cash bookings, only requires 75% or more of the trip cost charged to the card

The best annual AI travel insurance in terms of coverage is Blue Shield (used to be sold through AP.com till it was replaced by Manulife)
It's the only one that covers everything by default except for a few specified exclusions.
Other policies, especially CC policies, only cover specified events.
BMO WE will not cover if there is an issue in the home city.
My flight from YTZ-YUL-YOW was cancelled due to freezing rain, I had to buy a last min train ticket to Ottawa, which cost $100, I called BMO insurance and I was told that they will not cover the cost of the ticket.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
But the airline will refund you in that situation, so isn't that sufficient.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

can you buy that policy after placing ((not during) the reservation?
Yes- see page 8 of the attachment. I found their quoting tool to be a challenge... as the options are pretty opaque. That being said, cancelling the insurance once I realized I had chosen the incorrect option was relatively easy.
Insurance = peace of mind for when things are FUBAR
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
The refund was not enough to cover for the new ticket. Extra money was spent.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by Jma12
BMO WE will not cover if there is an issue in the home city.
Getting lost with acronyms - which one is BMO WE?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlin666
Getting lost with acronyms - which one is BMO WE?
BMO World Elite Mastercard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.