Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another IRROPS day at AC - AC143 20 pax miss connection to Palm Springs

Another IRROPS day at AC - AC143 20 pax miss connection to Palm Springs

Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cooleddie
They couldn't fuel the plane or get a fuel truck to fuel the plane.

But, they shouldnt have let the pax board. They should have delayed the flight by another hour or so when pax are still in the airport, until they know they can get the plane fueled.
But when they boarded, did they know that it would take a long time to fuel?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:40 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Stranger
But when they boarded, did they know that it would take a long time to fuel?
I had dinner with a friend last night who had the week from hell bouncing around the East coast. On here return trip to YVR, she flew on UA out of ORD.

While waiting to board her flight, the Captain reemerged from the jetway and got on the PA. He told the assembled pax that the plane was ready, the crew were ready, but that ORD was having ongoing issues with their fueling tanks and they would need to wait for a fuel truck. He said that it would be far more comfortable waiting at the gate and they were going to delay boarding until all this was sorted.

Obviously the operational impact of this on the gate was somehow factored in. But this is one recent example of at least one particular crew, on one particular day, at one often weather challenged major airport, that considered and acted upon the comfort of their customers.

And No; I am hardly a defender of UA, especially UA Ops.
Twickenham and gcashin like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by KenHamer
And in other news... it seems there is no IROPS situation so bad that Air Canada can't make it worse.
That pretty much sums it up.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
UA go-juice crew could very well have known that they would be an hour late.

"5 more minutes" can easily turn into " just 5 more... Just 5 more... Just 5 more".

Based on a sample size of 1, there is no way to know if that is hubris of someone on their first day or massive cultural issues that encourage dishonesty in status reports.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I must have been one of the lucky ones over the past few days.

BOG-YYZ only delayed 2 hours.
YYZ-YYC only delayed 25 mins.

I feel for those with missed connections.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I must have been one of the lucky ones over the past few days.

BOG-YYZ only delayed 2 hours.
YYZ-YYC only delayed 25 mins.

I feel for those with missed connections.
Not lucky. Rather, booked on routes that are not good candidates for being cancelled. More like, short haul NE routes are good targets for cancellation precisely for protecting routes like these. And long haul obviously.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not lucky. Rather, booked on routes that are not good candidates for being cancelled. More like, short haul NE routes are good targets for cancellation precisely for protecting routes like these. And long haul obviously.
Somewhat true, but the YYZ-YYC flight just before mine was cancelled outright yesterday, so still kinda lucky.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Somewhat true, but the YYZ-YYC flight just before mine was cancelled outright yesterday, so still kinda lucky.
Odds are that there were enough empty seats in the remaining flights to accommodate them.OTOH, some YVR-YUL, YYC-YUL (and I imagine same to YYZ) are classified as "priority flights." These provide relatively short connections to international flights, and they try their best to make sure they are on time. A few years ago I flew YYC-YCR-YUL (on a Saturday, only direct to YUL was quite a bit earlier). In winter. Deice at YYC, short connection at YVR, and also somewhat short at YUL. The SD reassured my: they also were operating the YUL figlht, so there was no way I would not make it. That's even though first was an E90 second, a 320. Plus, as they told me, the YUL flight was a "priority flight."
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
2 hrs 10 mins right now. Airport to airport. Renting a car is an easy 30 mins extra. I always have more trouble getting into LA than out of it.

Originally Posted by ridefar

There is almost nothing that is 90 minutes away in LA from LAX. Certainly not PSP. Maybe at 3 am in a Ferrari. Waiting for you at the curb at LAX.

By the time you rent a car it would be 3 hrs min, more likely 4. Given there are 20 pax and presumably not many can drive that adds extra complexity. And they need luggage. Generally I agree that there were other much better solutions and the way AC handled this was terrible. But PSP is not in Santa Monica.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.