Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Today's (31Jan19) disrupted flights from LGA to YYZ - Air Canada - what is going on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today's (31Jan19) disrupted flights from LGA to YYZ - Air Canada - what is going on?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
i have a friend stuck in Boston because the AC outbound from YYZ are not showing up so there is no BOS-YYZ flight. They cancelled yesterdays flight and rebooked her for this morning and now canceled this mornings flight and rebooked her for tomorrow. Last I heard she was trying to get on Westjet which apparently was still flying. Or maybe Porter.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
@vernonc, I got to BOS on AA to get home. But onward via YUL-YHZ, that being minutes better (and J) then direct much later in the day.

But to respond way up, Winterpeg may simply have so little traffic the full time crews are only outside for 30 minutes at a time, ever. The warm up inside when there is nothing to do.

YYZ crews are normally flat out for full shifts. And go to 50% effective when the spend half their time not-dying inside.

Or whatever the exact duty cycles.

Last edited by RangerNS; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Eh, unionized workers got to be treated like human beings. Clearly that's too expensive, no?
I'm confused (some wags might offer little surprise here) about the relevance of union v non-union workers in terms of how they may have been able to perform their duties under adverse conditions, and whether you are a fan of union workers (ie: Air Canada's) or not. The GTAA as an airport authority presumably has workplace policies that apply equally to all workers whether or not signed to a union, as do the relevant government labour agencies. Assumptions can be dangerous, but it's probably fair to believe all airport workers regardless of employer are treated in accordance with existing legislation in cases when the mercury falls.

Can we assume you were taking a potshot either at or in defence of unions, and that employment structure has little to do with how quickly or effectively apron operations have been performed this week at YYZ?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Why is only AC subject to ground stoppage?

Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I'm confused (some wags might offer little surprise here) about the relevance of union v non-union workers in terms of how they may have been able to perform their duties under adverse conditions, and whether you are a fan of union workers (ie: Air Canada's) or not. The GTAA as an airport authority presumably has workplace policies that apply equally to all workers whether or not signed to a union, as do the relevant government labour agencies. Assumptions can be dangerous, but it's probably fair to believe all airport workers regardless of employer are treated in accordance with existing legislation in cases when the mercury falls.

Can we assume you were taking a potshot either at or in defence of unions, and that employment structure has little to do with how quickly or effectively apron operations have been performed this week at YYZ?
Eh, cool down. I was more or less making the same point that you were.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Why is only AC subject to ground stoppage?

There wasn’t a ground stop. There was a restricted arrival rate/ground delay program which will always impact the largest airlines at the affected airport then others.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
And AC had crews out of position / hours. My original flight was originating in Montreal (and probably a Montreal crew (like my OB flight). Plus they were down at least three aircraft yesterday (2 x A320 and 1 x A319 plus their winter sun programme. The 2 x A320s based at Ottawa for the winter are draining YYZ / YUL, with a similar programme from Calgary and Vancouver.

Yesterday was NOT a good day at the office for AC. Some acknowledge, recognition, humility and apology from AC would go a long way to placate folk. To merely quote the mantra of "weather delays:" and not even recognising they did a bad job yesterday and today is "head in the sand job", lazy and will bite them in the long term as customer loyalty continues to be stretched
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
The 2 x A320s based at Ottawa for the winter are draining YYZ / YUL
LOL. With the number of cancellations they are not short birds. I must have counted 15 AC fins empty on remote stands at YYZ this morning just after 8am, including several narrowbody Airbus.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:45 am

This thread is ridiculous. Two posters keep asking the same questions over and over and getting the same answers because … they feel personally attacked by AC? I don't know.
It's not just a "mouse click" that cancelled the flight, and AC wasn't the only carrier affected (but cherry picking the specific route where you were affected sure is neat, isn't it!).

When there's a similar traffic management program in place in PHL, AA is likely to cancel short haul routes like PHL-YYZ while AC can continue to operate due to their low number of operations at PHL..
When there's a similar traffic management program in place in ATL, DL may cancel some of their ATL-YYZ flights but AC might continue to operate.
In this case, it was AC (and likely other major carriers at YYZ like WS) that needed to reduce the number of flights. Given that you were both able to get where you were going on the same day, it likely was the correct decision - rather than cancelling other flights where fewer alternates were available.

AC doesn't just cancel flights because they want to. There are financial implications for them to doing so & they would also rather operate their full schedule.

WestJet, AC & AA all had multiple LGA-YYZ flights cancel on Thursday. AC & WestJet both had multiple cancellations on Friday. Focusing your blame on AC because you were inconvenienced might make you feel better, but there is no evidence at all to indicate that they performed any worse than other carriers in IROPS. A sample size of "AA operated a particular flight" doesn't make it so.
ChrisA330 and YYC009 like this.

Last edited by cedric; Feb 2, 2019 at 3:53 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This ticket is cursed!

I'm scheduled to fly the return on Tuesday, Feb 12. This is for YYZ.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
Issued at 09:16 Sunday 10 February 2019
Winter storm with significant snow, freezing rain, and strong winds threatening Tuesday.

A low pressure system brewing over the Southern Plains States may intensify into a winter storm as it tracks over Southern Ontario Tuesday. Snow is expected to arrive Tuesday morning. The snow may then change to ice pellets and freezing rain for a few hours Tuesday before changing back to snow by Tuesday night as colder air arrives in the wake of the low pressure system. Snow will taper off to flurries on Wednesday.

How much snow and freezing rain a region receives will depend on the exact track of the low. Total snowfall and ice pellet amounts of 5 to 15 cm are possible, along with ice buildup from freezing rain. Snowfall amounts may be higher should the switch over to freezing precipitation not occur.

Strong and gusty easterly winds may cause low visibility in blowing snow before the snow changes over to freezing precipitation.

This weather system may have a significant impact on travel.

Watches and warnings may be required as this event draws closer.

So when does AC announce weather advisories?

BTW, I did get a 20% off code for that disastrous day at LGA.

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:47 am

I would imagine that they would at least wait for a weather warning.
The "special weather statement" posted above is full of speculative language. Count how many times the word "may" is included
At this point, there's too much uncertainty in the storm track. YYZ might just get some light snow or none at all.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel advisory announced for Feb 12 for YYZ, YTZ, YUL and YOW. Flight rebooked.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'm scheduled to fly the return on Tuesday, Feb 12. This is for YYZ.
Travel advisory announced for Feb 12 for YYZ, YTZ, YUL and YOW. Flight rebooked.
See, it all worked out. Safe travels.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.