Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business class order for taking orders and meal service 777, B788, B789

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Air Canada 25K, Accorhotel Gold

I was hoping for some confirmation on this issue, and have reviewed AC's version of the seat maps, haven't flown in any of these

As this has some influence on seat choice, and as I will be booking shortly in the business cabin in one of the these three,
can anyone help provide this information?
Also is there much variation day-to-day in these patterns?
Drinks and meals are delivered in the same order that orders are taken?

777-200LR 40 Business
The way most airlines seem to handle this - start at the front simultaneously in the two aisles and work back?
Does the rear Business cabin have its own cabin staff, or staff work back from Row 1 to the rear cabin?
Business Galley is in front of Business?

787-8 (788) 20 Business.
I saw a post here on forum saying it starts at 5A, and works in a horseshoe around (I assume clockwise)
Business Galley behind Business?

787-9 (799) 32 Business
The way most airlines seem to handle this - start at the front simultaneously in the two aisles and work back?

Thanks for any comments/advice on this
Jeff

Last edited by jeffnoone; Jan 30, 2019 at 1:50 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jeffnoone
I was hoping for some confirmation on this issue, and have reviewed AC's version of the seat maps, haven't flown in any of these

As this has some influence on seat choice, and as I will be booking shortly in the business cabin in one of the these three,

777-200LR 40 Business
Does the rear Business cabin have its own cabin staff, or staff work back from Row 1 to the rear cabin?

787-8 (788) 20 Business.
I saw a post here on forum saying it starts at 5A, and works in a horseshoe around (I assume clockwise)

787-9 (799) 32 Business

Jeff
The order of priority is by status so they will (should) take meal preference orders from VIPs, SE MM, SE and then the rest of the cabin. Rest of the cabin starts from the front generally. Sometimes with 1A and then crossover to the other side and sometime there will be two FAs taking meal preferences and generally they both start from the front. IMHO.
jeffnoone and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
The order of priority is by status so they will (should) take meal preference orders from VIPs, SE MM, SE and then the rest of the cabin. Rest of the cabin starts from the front generally. Sometimes with 1A and then crossover to the other side and sometime there will be two FAs taking meal preferences and generally they both start from the front. IMHO.
Vernonc, thanks for this quick reply

The 788 is from the front also (small cabin, so may not matter much)?
Separate FA group for the rear cabin on the 777?

Jeff
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@jeffnoone

FYI, the SOP that @vernonc alludes to applies to any AC mainline (not sure about the Rouge or ACX) Business Class, regardless of mainline widebody or narrowbody aircraft.

(and even with the SOP, there have been cases where the top level priority members mentioned are never asked first and end up not getting their meal choice... but this is not common)
vernonc and jeffnoone like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:46 pm

Vernonc, thanks for this quick reply

The 788 is from the front also (small cabin, so may not matter much)?
Separate FA group for the rear cabin on the 777?

Jeff
If you are referring to the second business class cabin after the doors, then no, there is no separate FA group, its the same FAs who do all of the J cabin.
If you want a better chance for your meal preference and do not have status, your best bet IMHO is to be seated in 1A or 2A or thereabouts.
canadiancow and jeffnoone like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Order of taking meals has been covered by @vernonc.

For the meal service, it is usually done from the front of the cabin to the back. There may be an exception on domestic 788 routes, where it is done in a U shape but it's been a while since I've been on a 788.

If you want to be served first with drinks and meals, sit near the front of the cabin.

And there are no separate FAs for the mini-J cabin on the 777s. The Service Director usually serves the port side (A/D seats) and another flight attendant will serve the starboard side (G/K), with potentially an exception on the 788 domestics.

All J galleys are forward of the J cabin.
vernonc and jeffnoone like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for quick responses
My questions answered - I did mean the mini-J cabin!
Jeff
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold

777-200LR 40 Business

787-8 (788) 20 Business.

787-9 (799) 32 Business

Jeff
The 789 has 30 J seats not 32. As people have outlined the larger business cabins (789, 77L, 77W) are often done by two flight attendants with one often being the SD. I have always had my order taken first as a SE (usually with an introduction by the SD). Since becoming SE I have never not gotten my first choice both international and domestic. The remaining orders are most commonly taken front to back. The smaller 788 I have seen done both front to back and as a horseshoe.
jeffnoone likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I was on the 788 yesterday TPAC. One FA handled the whole cabin for drinks and meals and did in fact start at 5A , then moved though the one side to 1A then the other side starting with 1G and finishing with 5K.....so in a horseshoe pattern.

I will actively avoid the 788 from now on. There is less space in and around the seat, and it looks old now.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
I was on the 788 yesterday TPAC. One FA handled the whole cabin for drinks and meals and did in fact start at 5A , then moved though the one side to 1A then the other side starting with 1G and finishing with 5K.....so in a horseshoe pattern.

I will actively avoid the 788 from now on. There is less space in and around the seat, and it looks old now.
Why 5A and not 1A ? Maybe the last SE was in 4A or something like that ?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am referring to the order in which the bar service and meals were served, not in which the orders are taken. I should have been more specific.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I am referring to the order in which the bar service and meals were served, not in which the orders are taken. I should have been more specific.
I think @ACYYZ/SD can help jog my memory...

There was a time where J widebody service (10+ years ago) was indeed done in a reverse horseshoe pattern starting from rear Port J to the front and then starboard front J to rear J. I think this might have been pre-XM, so before 2007.

But in the past several years/recent memory, I've seen very little of this and it has been moreso the SD doing Port and one or two FAs doing starboard.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by yyznomad

I think @ACYYZ/SD can help jog my memory...

There was a time where J widebody service (10+ years ago) was indeed done in a reverse horseshoe pattern starting from rear Port J to the front and then starboard front J to rear J. I think this might have been pre-XM, so before 2007.

But in the past several years/recent memory, I've seen very little of this and it has been moreso the SD doing Port and one or two FAs doing starboard.
Are the 767s still done in a horseshoe pattern on intl routes?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Interesting how they serve SE before paid J class customers...

I understand that typically paid J customers already have SE, but if they do not this seems wrong. I guess you need to fly the mileage to get that preferential treatment! It is definitely earned.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codfather
Interesting how they serve SE before paid J class customers...

I understand that typically paid J customers already have SE, but if they do not this seems wrong. I guess you need to fly the mileage to get that preferential treatment! It is definitely earned.
They take orders from SEs first. They don't serve first, although perhaps they should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.