Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
For reference, the main upgrade thread

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/794073-how-upgrade-air-canada-102.html
Print Wikipost

E-Upgrades for a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by JetLife
Aren't those the cheapest fares though? I buy whatever is cheapest.
That is obviously your option, but you will not get much if anything from any airline on their cheapest fares. No upgrading, for example. But that is a moot point given you'd never get enough miles for status to get upgrade credits.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by JetLife
Aren't those the cheapest fares though? I buy whatever is cheapest.
If you plan on checking a bag, it can make more financial sense to book Standard sometimes. Especially if going TATL where a checked bag is $60 IIRC. Basic -> Standard is normally < $60.
And if you like preferred seats, well that's about 50% more under Basic as well.

However, if you hit P25k, you have clearly not been flying Basic fares the entire 2018 (of course, I think they started in 2018).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Nexus
At 25k you can also use the AC Priority Check In line, which will save you substantial time with bag drop.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by richardgordon
At 25k you can also use the AC Priority Check In line, which will save you substantial time with bag drop.
Welcome to FT.

At YYZ for AC at least, it's sometimes faster to use the regular line

Interesting point though, if there's no regular queue just use a kiosk and drop your bag. If there is a queue and you want to use the priority line I've been told there's no point using a kiosk as they have to print a new tag for some reason. I've also used the priority line when in PY (both with and without status) to ensure I got a priority tag as I'm not convinced that would have been possible in the regular line.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Nexus
Thanks jc94, very useful discussion here. Agreed that sometimes the kiosk is faster. Though it's great to have PCI as option, especially when you're running bit behind and facing >20 minute wait for bag drop.

Another advantage of P25k is that you're less likely to get bumped vs. non-status fliers. This saved me on a YQR-YYC trip when the aircraft got downsized and my initial seat vanished. Would have otherwise had to spend night in Regina.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by F 1
As a P25k I learned quickly to managed my expectations. I struck-out repeatedly attempting to e-upgrade between YVR and YYZ. It was comical how far down the list I was. I did however successfully e-upgrade between YVR and YYC 4 out of 4 times.
I think as anything but SE, you really need to manage your expectations. Even then, I’ve heard a legend that there has been a SE or two that was not satisfied...

I’m <50% on YYC-YVR YEG-YVR as a E50K, most of the time employing several tricks from FT. A less coveted short hop eUp at that.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Need a reminder/some help

This thread seems as good a place as any...

Have some segments booked on a Y (Lat) fare that I eUpped at time of booking.

I am now needing to change my flights home to extend my trip. I know from reading here it is always best to call in with the flights I want to take home rather than have AC look around for the best option.

I of course want to maintain my upgrade on the TATL - am I supposed to be looking for R space or Z space when I have a Latitude fare?

No change fees of course but I'm on the hook for the fare difference, correct?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:08 am

I wanted to use the 20 eUprades I had, but realised that I need to pay $600 in addition to the eUpgrade credits I've . 3 checked bags, lounge access & priority boarding is good though.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I of course want to maintain my upgrade on the TATL - am I supposed to be looking for R space or Z space when I have a Latitude fare?
For INTL, you require P space (Z space is required for NA and Caribbean flights).

Of course, you may need to call, call again to get it booked once you find space in P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.