Business Etiquette

Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Business Etiquette

First time flying business on the 777 to Asia.......I am not a very good sleeper and am wondering the etiquette to get up and get myself a drink at the Galley?

I understand they have wine, snacks etc., - am I correct on that? I might be up watching many movies so rather than bothering someone I have no issue doing this myself.......Just wasn't sure where exactly this is situated; what they offer and etiquette in doing so?

Any other transpac tidbits would be great!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Bravada04
First time flying business on the 777 to Asia.......I am not a very good sleeper and am wondering the etiquette to get up and get myself a drink at the Galley?

I understand they have wine, snacks etc., - am I correct on that? I might be up watching many movies so rather than bothering someone I have no issue doing this myself.......Just wasn't sure where exactly this is situated; what they offer and etiquette in doing so?

By all means and go get what you need. Just be mindful of other pax in that you are not noisy or bump into their seats etc.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the snacks are self serve, but FAs might not be happy about you helping yourself to the alcohol or carrying a hot cup of coffee back to your seat. In general, ti's better to ask for the beverages, either by finding a FA in the galley or by ringing your call button. Better yet is to flag down a FA walking past your seat, but this can require a long wait and this isn't a reasonable expectation for the customer's behavior.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
There will be a snack basket in the galley with chips, almonds, granola bars, cookies, and sometimes apples and bananas. There will be a bottle of water at your seat when you board, and the crew will come by from time to time with water in between meals. You will have a main meal within 1-2 hrs of take-off, a light meal/snack, and then breakfast (with some Asian options) about 60-90 mins before landing.

You can help yourself to a snack from the basket anytime, and there may be water available as well, however in my experience all other drinks, alcoholic or otherwise, will be served by crew. You are welcome to use the call button at your seat if there are no crew members within range.
--
13F
nh100 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
You are welcome to use the call button at your seat if there are no crew members within range.
--
13F
And there'll almost always be a crew member in one or other galley whom you can ask for a drink.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: SE100K
No sit down bar like Emirates. Snack food and call for a beverage.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
As you're a (self proclaimed) Transpac novice, I'll remind you of one of the basic guidelines: specifically, operate on the destination time zone as soon as you get onboard (if not before)

For example, when flying to China from YYZ (flights leave in early afternoon), I eat the meal on departure, drink some wine, and then fall asleep as soon as possible. I typically wake up by about midnight.... at which point I remind myself (tell myself) that it's actually noon, not midnight - so it's time to wake up, have some coffee, and perhaps watch a movie.

You'll land 4/5 hours later, be in your hotel by early evening (China tine), enjoy a dinner somewhere - and by now it's late (China time) and you're tired ... and that's a good combination, so go to bed and hopefully sleep for the night.

With luck, you'll wake up in the morning and.... boom ... you're at least kinda sorta on the right time zone.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I have found that sometimes they have a bottle of wine out in the mid galley if there are two J cabins. Oddly enough, I never ask for a alcohol drink midflight, but there is always someone around and they will ask if you want something when they do the rounds. 4/5 flights, the FAs and especially the SDs specifically ask me. Have a midflight snack. it's fun and they bring wine with that if you want.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

Juices/Water/Wine are readily available in designated self-serve areas along with plastic glasses. If you require a real glass (stowed for safety reasons) along with any mixed drink, coffee/tea/cappuccino by all means ask at anytime. Packaged snacks and fresh fruit are readily available. Any other mid-flight snacks which require refrigeration or preparation can easily be obtained at any time thru the flight. Any items from the main meal service which are leftover can also be requested (cheese, plated fruit, ice cream, etc).
Bohemian1, karachi and shadowspar like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Any items from the main meal service which are leftover can also be requested (cheese, plated fruit, ice cream, etc).
That's good to know, having a plated fruit/cheese would be a nice option over chips and chocolate bars...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the feedback! I am pretty much sure I won't sleep so listening to music and watching movies will be my thing! Hopefully I don't look like a "lush" if I continue to have a glass of wine or drink in my hand while relaxing listening or watching. It's my vacation and I tend to enjoy it. BTW........nothing to do with getting anything for free - I would not and never have hesitated to be paying for it if/when I am seated in another class.

I have no problem getting up and quietly pouring my self a glass......but it sounds like there will not be a bottle of wine sitting there. Hopefully I am polite and quiet and the FA doesn't mind keeping me topped up.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
You can help yourself to a snack from the basket anytime, and there may be water available as well, however in my experience all other drinks, alcoholic or otherwise, will be served by crew.
Canadian Aviation Regulations state that
602.04 (2) No person shall consume on board an aircraft an intoxicating liquor unless the intoxicating liquor

(a) has been served to that person by the operator of the aircraft; or

(b) where no flight attendant is on board, has been provided by the operator of the aircraft.
so serving yourself an alcoholic drink is in fact illegal.

(Ok, to be technical it's only *consuming* the drink which is illegal. But I don't think the cabin crew would approve either way.)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So bringing booze from the lounge onboard a BEH is legal?
eigenvector likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So bringing booze from the lounge onboard a BEH is legal?
Most often lounge employees are contract so not an airline employee....don't mean to start a legal debate !
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Thanks very much for the feedback! I am pretty much sure I won't sleep so listening to music and watching movies will be my thing! Hopefully I don't look like a "lush" if I continue to have a glass of wine or drink in my hand while relaxing listening or watching. It's my vacation and I tend to enjoy it. BTW........nothing to do with getting anything for free - I would not and never have hesitated to be paying for it if/when I am seated in another class.

I have no problem getting up and quietly pouring my self a glass......but it sounds like there will not be a bottle of wine sitting there. Hopefully I am polite and quiet and the FA doesn't mind keeping me topped up.
I think your the model prisoner...oops I mean passenger!! Lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.