Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is AC blocking my TK FFP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Is AC blocking my TK FFP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Angry Is AC blocking my TK FFP? (mystery solved)

Since about 3-4 months ago, I noticed that I am not longer able to add my TK FFP to AC reservations by AC phone/social media agents. Each time, I was told by AC agents that they received error msg "name mismatch". This is regardless AC 014, UA 016 or tickets issued by other airlines. The workaround for AP tickets (adding to OAL FF info section) no longer works either - same error msg.

At the airport, although the AC agents can add TK #, it won't show up on the BP - neither the # nor *G status and I get Zone 5 each time. The funny thing is that when I check in with AC for an AC/UA interline ticket, AC legs will show Zone 5 and no FFP, and UA leg will show TK# and status on AC-issued BP.

Is it possible that AC is blocking my TK FFP? Anyone else used TK FFP on AC flights recently?

This is extremely frustrating because my name already gets mistakenly flagged for DHP and I have to check in at the AC counter each time whenever an AC segment is involved (UA/NZ cannot even check me in on AC leg).

Last edited by ericw; Feb 13, 2019 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Odds are there is a mismatch somewhere.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Odds are there is a mismatch somewhere.
but I don’t even have a middle name. My name is correct with TK. It has always worked previously.

Also, forgot to mention - once ac agent at airport adds my TK ffp to the PNR, I do get miles correctly. Just no indication of TK # nor status on AC BP.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by ericw
Anyone else used TK FFP on AC flights recently?
I haven't flown AC in about seven weeks but it was fine for me on five different AC flights in November.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I feel like this was discussed already, but sometime in the last year or so, AC added name matching.

Previously, anyone could throw any *G number on the PNR and receive full *G benefits.

Now, it does a name match.

So if it stopped working 3-4 months ago, it's likely because whatever's in TK's system doesn't match your ticket.

UA does not do name matching, which is why you have no issues with them.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I feel like this was discussed already, but sometime in the last year or so, AC added name matching.

Previously, anyone could throw any *G number on the PNR and receive full *G benefits.

So if it stopped working 3-4 months ago, it's likely because whatever's in TK's system doesn't match your ticket.

OP's post 39 in his thread

AC secrect “travel ban” for middle eastern frequent flyers?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, this *G benefit issue first appeared last October - at that time I thought it was some "side effect" of the DHP flag. Now after multiple AC segments on multiple tickets issued by different airlines, it appears the rejection of my TK# is somewhat unrelated to DHP.
Thanks guys for confirming that TK still works with AC and the name matching thing is new.
I guess I will submit a ticket to AC.
Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I guess UA doesn't have the same problems with people using their fathers' SE numbers...
canadiancow and ffsim like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

OK, after many back and forth with AC and TK and troubleshooting with a bunch of FFP #s , it seemed the problem was on the TK side (sorry AC) - albeit a weird one:

I registered my TK# years ago in Title Case "Eric Wxxxxxx". For some weird reason, the letter i is stored as unicode u0130 (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE), instead of u0069 in TK's back end system that is linked to *A. TK.com shows Eric or ERIC fine. Only when I copied & pasted my name from TK's support email to a unicode translator did I notice the discrepancy.
That's why AC was saying "name mismatch"...

The lesson is - always CAPITALIZE your name when registering.
LuoboTiX likes this.

Last edited by ericw; Feb 13, 2019 at 9:22 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
OK, after many back and forth with AC and TK and troubleshooting with a bunch of FFP #s , it seemed the problem was on the TK side (sorry AC) - albeit a weird one:

I registered my TK# years ago in Title Case "Eric Wxxxxxx". For some weird reason, the letter i is stored as unicode u0130 (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE), instead of u0069 in TK's back end system that is linked to *A. TK.com shows Eric or ERIC fine. Only when I copied & pasted my name from TK's support email to a unicode translator did I notice the discrepancy.

Thanks for the update. Also interesting.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: TK*G

Were you able to find a solution with TK? I also have a couple of "i" present in my name, and am wondering if I will run into the same issue. AC app shows my FFP number fine as XXXXXXXXXG, presuming the G at the end is for *G, however AC.com does not show any FFP and will not allow me to add it either.

EDIT: Did some more reading, and it seems like dotted versus dotless "i" is probably due to the way the Turkish language handles these letters as distinct (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I). E.g. İ is the capital version of i, and I is the capital version of ı. Will report back with my experience in a few weeks.
ericw likes this.

Last edited by State of Trance; Mar 3, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

You will be probably fine if your name has always been capitalized in TK FFP.

AC systems have always been hit and miss and inconsistent in showing FFP among AC.com Manage my booking, Seat Selection Tool and AC app.

EDIT: thanks for the wikipedia page - I suspected that and now I am confident that's the root cause.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:36 am

You will be probably fine if your name has always been capitalized in TK FFP.

AC systems have always been hit and miss and inconsistent in showing FFP among AC.com Manage my booking, Seat Selection Tool and AC app.

EDIT: thanks for the wikipedia page - I suspected that and now I am confident that's the root cause.
I saw your other topic as well, and decided to change my TK FFP to ALL CAPS, so hopefully that eliminates any ambiguity. I was curious so I searched around some more and it seems like the Turkish I problem is a real issue for programmers that breaks many applications (Internationalizing Turkish: Dotted and Dotless Turkish Letter "I"). Really interesting case.

Do you also have "i" present in your surname as well? My TK correspondence always seems to address me as First Middle LAST. I wonder if that also affects how TK reports names to *A.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by State of Trance
Do you also have "i" present in your surname as well? My TK correspondence always seems to address me as First Middle LAST. I wonder if that also affects how TK reports names to *A.
Luckily no - but i guess it would have been problematic too.
Even before TK changing my name to capitalized, I only saw regular i and I on TK.com in my profile. I never knew what AC saw would be different.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:56 am

Luckily no - but i guess it would have been problematic too.
Even before TK changing my name to capitalized, I only saw regular i and I on TK.com in my profile. I never knew what AC saw would be different.
Interesting. How did you find out exactly that TK was sending a different letter set to *A?

Did you have any issues with receiving priority boarding and baggage or lounge access from AC by presenting your physical *G card even if the BP didn't reflect it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.