Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade AC YYZ-DEL with Aeroplan or eUpgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to upgrade AC YYZ-DEL with Aeroplan or eUpgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I feel badly for you."

My boss: "Can you go to India to take care of X?
Me: "Possibly."
My boss: "You have to fly economy though."
Me: "Full schedule." click
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Your work is sending you to Delhi for a month plus?

Good luck.
No kidding. I hope OP is getting hazard pay. Or some such. Although given how cheap his/her employer was with airfare, I am not optimistic. If I was staying at the Lodhi, I might moderate my stance, but otherwise this would be big, fat, stinky "No."
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, unfortunately for P25K needs to be Flex M/U or Latitude Y/B.

Can you see how much it is to upfare to U?
And that’s the key, below E50k eUp to PY international options are limited. Plus 20 as P25k won’t do both directions.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I feel badly for you."

My boss: "Can you go to India to take care of X?
Me: "Possibly."
My boss: "You have to fly economy though."
Me: "Full schedule." click
My thoughts exactly. I know people on here who have this policy but a 14h flight and they won’t even pay PY? Forget it.

Originally Posted by ridefar
No kidding. I hope OP is getting hazard pay. Or some such. Although given how cheap his/her employer was with airfare, I am not optimistic. If I was staying at the Lodhi, I might moderate my stance, but otherwise this would be big, fat, stinky "No."
Go see travel doc and get Cipro or similar. Unless you grew up there, have been a lot, or have the strongest stomach known to man you’re probably going to have a bad day.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jc94

And that’s the key, below E50k eUp to PY international options are limited. Plus 20 as P25k won’t do both directions.

My thoughts exactly. I know people on here who have this policy but a 14h flight and they won’t even pay PY? Forget it.

Go see travel doc and get Cipro or similar. Unless you grew up there, have been a lot, or have the strongest stomach known to man you’re probably going to have a bad day.
I have spent 3 or 4 months travelling in India. I have done it on both ends of the budgetary spectrum, with and without drugs. I still have been sick (despite knowing the basics things to avoid) every single freaking time. And edited to add: there are lots of things to absolutely love about India. It is amazing and spectacular in so many ways. But to be sent there for work for 6 weeks and to have to fly economy is a big ask.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am in Delhi right now, and I don't feel too good after reading latest posts.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Knowing a non native who has been there about a dozen times, he only got really sick on one and partially sick on another 2-3 trips.

Flying Y there, for 14h, would I’d say increase the chance of feeling bad the first few days.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kingflyer
Yes that's what AC suggested, but unfortunately my work's client booked this via a travel agent, so AC can't tell me, I need to ask the travel agency. To make things even more complicated
tell the TA to cancel the fare buy it from SFO and I just got back from India AC flight was not full in j class or PY on my flight on the way over. I go back with AC mid Feb lets see if that flight is full in J class. ( im glad the flights are not full in J, 4 of us flying and as usual at least one has a deflating seat)
DO NOT leave home without CIPRO!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Been to Delhi over 6 times so far and honestly apart from the flight in Y there and back, I don't think its nearly as bad as people say it is as long as you're staying somwhere nice and also know good places to go to during your free time. I love India as a whole to be honest, but can agree that there are far nicer cities in India than Delhi to visit.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canopus27
Yes, but the availability of the star alliance upgrade awards is really limited ... it's certainly not the case that purchasing a latitude fare gets you guaranteed access to an upgrade.

As a SEMM I've been pretty successful with upgrades on this route .... so it can be done, all you need is a little planning. Specifically, fly a million miles first and then qualify for super elite. And for better odds, purchase a PY ticket, too.

Seriously, I wouldn't even consider flying this route in Y. I always purchase a PY ticket, even though I have to pay the extra between Y & PY myself (my employer is a cheapskate and will only pay for Y). Yes, having a PY ticket does help with my upgrade priority ... but if an upgrade ever didn't clear, at least I'd have a tolerable seat for those 14 hours.
Same situation for me (can only fly in Economy and often Standard fare and maybe flex fare). The good news is I noticed that now that I am E50k this year I have more eUpgrade Credits to use and also more economy fare options to upgrade to PY from without a co-pay (see chart below). As much as I'd love to experience the 787 business class, honestly the PY would be more than good enough for me (flown it once and had a great sleep) - anything to get out of the Delhi economy cabin.

Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Ouch..
Is all I got to say.

It seems to me you are in a lose - lose situation tbh
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
With a cheapskate employer, remember to confirm that they are providing you with adequate medical insurance while you're abroad and that you know how to use it.
canopus27 and jc94 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Folks, this isn't the Congo. India, like many developing countries, offers a wide spectrum between luxurious and filthy. Chances are better-than-average that visitors will suffer from some sort of gastro-intestinal unpleasantries if venturing more than a dozen steps beyond the lobby of a Marriott, but there's no need to inject fear, dire predictions (or medical advice). I just spent a month in that part of the world and despite dining in some pretty rustic locations, was blessedly regular my entire trip. I wasn't alone in my tummy-luck. I think that's as deep as we need delve into this topic. As with many countries, including Canada, using hand sanitizer before meals and being careful with your sources of water will eliminate most chances of illness. And if you have a day or two of upset, c'est la vie.

Originally Posted by 42000ft
(AC cabin crew always admit to me in conversation that they hate serving this route and try their best to avoid it)
Both AC DEL routes are widely reviled by both cabin crews and receiving airports, for many reasons. AC43 & 45 always contain abnormally high numbers of very demanding passengers.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, this isn't an India discussion but rather how to upgrade YYZ-DEL so let's please return to that topic.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
canadiancow and kingflyer like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Wow this conversation escalated very quickly, thx everyone for your concerns I am staying in another city then Delhi and at a very high end hotel

Just an update, I contacted the Indian travel agency and they said to directly upgrade to business class it would be $6,300 USD. LOL. They didn’t understand when I asked how much to upgrade to U class.

I guess I am completely out of luck here, good to know once you hit 50k you can at least upgrade to premium economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.