Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible Air Canada CSeries routes (A220)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible Air Canada CSeries routes (A220)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Well, the CRJ - as a schedule code - refers to the CRJ100/200 series and this one would not have the range. The above plane would usually be referred as CR9 (or CRA previously as a 705 series) and it does have the range - hence the confusion
Fundamentally (and from a Certificate of Airworthiness), they're all still Challenger 604s. IATA codes vary airline to airline, so what one calls a CRJ another could call a CR2 or an XYZ.

The ICAO standard is:
CL60 Canadair Challenger
CRJ1 Canadair Regional Jet 100
CRJ2 Canadair Regional Jet 200
CRJ7 Canadair Regional Jet 700
CRJ9 Canadair Regional Jet 900
CRJX Canadair Regional Jet 1000

So they're all CRJs in one way. The old CRJ705 aka CRA in Air Canada parlance is a CRJ900 that was specifically certified for fewer passengers to get around the AC scope clauses, and is just a 900 at heart

And yes, IAH-YYC is a long flight in a smaller aircraft, but it's probably better than a slaveship 777, or a rouge 319.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:21 pm

Good to see AC is introducing long-haul domestic routes like YHZ -> YVR and YUL -> SEA. Here's to hoping they up gauge their ultra long haul domestic routes like YYZ -> SEA (aka the Boeing route). 5+ hours on an E190 is no fun! Would be curious to see where AC makes the determination on which routes get it and which don't (i.e. is it all distance based or is it also pax volume?) Would also be curious to see whether Rogue is introduced for the aircraft and how that would work. Would certainly make for some interesting decisions, "Should I fly with the E145 on mainline or C-Series in Rogue). Hopefully Bombardier manages to snag a mega order from AC (perhaps Transport Canada could put a levy on commercial prop planes ), they're struggling and could really use the help. I refuse to refer to that aircraft as the Airbus A220, it's Canadian and that's the way it is!

Originally Posted by NYTA
I flew RIX-TLV which is 4.5 hours and was way better than any 737 or even A320/321 I have ever flown on for similar length routes which is basically TLV to anywhere North/West of Frankfurt. Have flown AF/Easyjet/KLM/LH/Eurowings on narrowbodies from TLV to Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Cologne etc. and the RIX-TLV flight on Air Baltic was more comfortable than any of those.

With regard to "bumpy ride" according to an airline pilot friend of mine who switched over to them from flying Boeings, the A320 is one of the twitchiest, least stable airliners out there (321 is marginally better) and while I haven't spoken to any of the C-series pilots yet, I suspect it's more stable to fly than the 320.
Good to hear that the C-Series provides better comfort than the 737 and Airbus products. Would still be curious to learn how well the aircraft can handle bumpy rides which are all too common on TATL and TPAC flights these days!

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
as a weekly commuter between YYZ and YOW, I have come to love the E190. Tatty for sure, and needing some TLC (please fix the power sockets - 50% are not working).

with the exception of the scheduled 767 daily (which is much about getting the crew and aircraft back to YYZ, its really E190s with the occasional uplift to a 319/320.

BUT - the flights are always full. Admittedly, wait lists include people wanting to fly earlier, but I am yet (in the peaks in particular) to have travelled on a half empty aircraft and most are full. They need to be adding capacity to YOW, not reducing it. As the rapidair (some of the pilots still refer to it on their PAs) route and one with some status serving the capital, AC need to raise standards and not drop them.
I'm still surprised that passengers decide to fly that often between YYZ, YOW and YUL when they can take the train for a fraction of the cost, get free booze and a meal! Sure the train takes a bit longer than the plane but there's no security, and you it's downtown to downtown service. Also, I've found the trains to be a bit more reliable than the planes, particularly in bad weather.

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
Both WestJet and Porter cancel regularly on this route and can't be relied on
My thoughts exactly! Having flown a decent number of times between YYZ and YUL on business (and managing travel for many others) I've found WS tended to cancel flights prematurely when there was a sniffle and PD would cancel and the next available flight would be in 2 days. As much as these airlines claim to be business friendly (some even offer free booze on these routes) their service and reaccomodation seems to say otherwise.

-James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I looked at the train between Toronto Union and Ottawa.

Particularly returning home, I now leave my desk at 1330 in Ottawa, uber it, no hold baggage, fast track secutity, a cheeky pint of Guiness or 2, get on the 1500 which is pretty good and be in doors at 1645 most times. add getting to the via station in Ottawa which is not downtown, getting stuck behind a CP freight, and cabbing it home - flying is between 90 and 120 mins faster. It would be better from YTZ for sure but I dislike Porter for the reliability. Great product otherwise.

My original post was that the E190s are phased out this year as the A220's come on stream. AC have to replace the E190 with something, and I think a A319/320 is to big for the route. Deplaning from an E190 is such a quick and easy thing!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The thing to remember when participating on a public forum populated by members with varying aviation knowledge....
.... is that there is always a place for technical accuracy and technical corrections.

Thank-you for your services Constable.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
Fundamentally (and from a Certificate of Airworthiness), they're all still Challenger 604s. IATA codes vary airline to airline, so what one calls a CRJ another could call a CR2 or an XYZ.

The ICAO standard is:
CL60 Canadair Challenger
CRJ1 Canadair Regional Jet 100
CRJ2 Canadair Regional Jet 200
CRJ7 Canadair Regional Jet 700
CRJ9 Canadair Regional Jet 900
CRJX Canadair Regional Jet 1000

So they're all CRJs in one way. The old CRJ705 aka CRA in Air Canada parlance is a CRJ900 that was specifically certified for fewer passengers to get around the AC scope clauses, and is just a 900 at heart

And yes, IAH-YYC is a long flight in a smaller aircraft, but it's probably better than a slaveship 777, or a rouge 319.

IATA codes do not vary from airline to airline, IATA codes are standard globally. Airlines may opt to call a respective model however they wish, but the IATA codes remain the same.

There is no mention of Challeneger 604 is any type certificate or certificate of airworthiness other than for purposes as a marketing identifier. All Challenger 6xx series aircraft and Canadair Regional Jet series aircraft are certified as CL-600-xxxx and the CRJ705 has a separate type certificate from the CRJ900 even though materially they are the same.

Last edited by jaysona; Jan 16, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I refuse to refer to that aircraft as the Airbus A220, it's Canadian and that's the way it is!
The A220 is as Canadian as it gets and is supported by a lot of dedicated and passionate people working at Airbus Canada. The C Series is a thing of the past and does not exist anymore.

Good to hear that the C-Series provides better comfort than the 737 and Airbus products. Would still be curious to learn how well the aircraft can handle bumpy rides which are all too common on TATL and TPAC flights these days!
The A220 handles turbulence as any single aisle airliner would. The effect of turbulence felt in the cabin is related to the wing surface area and the type of turbulent air the wing is passing through. I have felt both light and severe moments of movement in the aircraft. For equivalent turbulent air, the effects will be felt less than would be in an E190 and similar to that of an A320.

I'm still surprised that passengers decide to fly that often between YYZ, YOW and YUL when they can take the train for a fraction of the cost, get free booze and a meal! Sure the train takes a bit longer than the plane but there's no security, and you it's downtown to downtown service. Also, I've found the trains to be a bit more reliable than the planes, particularly in bad weather.
1 hour vs 5-6 hours travel time - no contest. YYZ-YUL door-to-door in 140 minutes is no contest compared to the train.

Last edited by jaysona; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:05 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
1 hour vs 5-6 hours travel time - no contest. YYZ-YUL door-to-door in 140 minutes is no contest compared to the train.
The time difference was acknowledged and never debated. The 'contest' as it's termed, hinges upon the following stated variables: reduced cost, a meal service with drinks, lack of security formalities, increased reliability in poor weather and a no-connection all-in downtown to downtown journey. Technical corrections are apparently important, and are best received when offered kindly.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:14 am

Good to see AC is introducing long-haul domestic routes like YHZ -> YVR and YUL -> SEA. Here's to hoping they up gauge their ultra long haul domestic routes like YYZ -> SEA (aka the Boeing route). 5+ hours on an E190 is no fun!
Why do you figure so? There isn't an aircraft in the AC fleet that I'd prefer to spend 5+ hours on compared to the E90. You're never more than 1 seat away from an aisle, the washroom ratio isn't too crazy, and its a quick load/unload.

I just wonder what AC has in store for the 2-3 nature of the CS300/A220? Will the "2" seats come with an up-charge? Will the middle seats in the "3" side of the 2-3 always be basic economy passengers, families strewn about the aircraft if they're not eligible for free seat assignment? Do we have confirmation that business class will be a 2-2 configuration?

Would be curious to see where AC makes the determination on which routes get it and which don't (i.e. is it all distance based or is it also pax volume?)
I suspect they'll go everywhere in the North American network served by mainline. The current 'map' doesn't seem to indicate that AC is going to pursue overwater flights with them though. So they may very well not be configured with overwater equipment, nor subject to ETOPS maintenance practices. Maybe a small subfleet will be configured and maintained to ETOPS to allow for flexibility to serve in the deep Caribbean for off-season times when the Rouge 319 is a bit too much airplane. POS maybe?

The CS300 is the stretched version of the baseline (probably the longest stretch possible, given the intense focus on optimization), and the trend is for significantly relaxed stability especially with full FBW. So somewhat like the A320 series, you'll probably be seeing those ailerons working overtime keeping things stable during turbulence.

I'm still surprised that passengers decide to fly that often between YYZ, YOW and YUL when they can take the train for a fraction of the cost, get free booze and a meal! Also, I've found the trains to be a bit more reliable than the planes, particularly in bad weather.
The train is hit or miss. Get a good crew, and if everything is in order, it can be great. Get a crappy crew, and run into some delays, and it can be 6-8 hours of pure misery and maybe a drink or two at best. If the weather is bad, AC often lets you cancel without penalty and rebook, while VIA just runs, even if they show up hours late, and arrive even later. Much, much rather sit in a MLL than in a VIA lounge too. At least a crappy AC crew is a problem that usually goes away in an hour or two...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted as the thread wandered into the generic debate about the C Series which should be in its own thread on the subject which is here so let's please keep this thread to the thread topic which is "Possible Air Canada CSeries routes (A220)".

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Good to see AC is introducing long-haul domestic routes like YHZ -> YVR and YUL -> SEA.
Nothing has been introduced or scheduled yet. These are routes that are under study.

Here's to hoping they up gauge their ultra long haul domestic routes like YYZ -> SEA (aka the Boeing route). 5+ hours on an E190 is no fun!
What's so bad about the E90? I've done a lot of YYC<>YUL and YYC<>EWR flights, and PDX-YYZ. I don't see it being any worse than a 320 family plane.

Would be curious to see where AC makes the determination on which routes get it and which don't (i.e. is it all distance based or is it also pax volume?)
Aircraft selection is based on profit maximization. An A220 may have the range to do YVR-YSJ, but if they can't fill enough seats to make it profitable, they're not going to run the route.

Originally Posted by lespoir
Really hope they deploy one aircraft for the YYC-IAH route. The existing CRJ is a joke.
I agree completely (without getting pedantic about nomenclature).

Originally Posted by jaysona
There’s no CRJ flying YYC-IAH, the CRJ does not have the range and is incapable of flying YYC-IAH.
The CR9 is also often incapable of flying that route. The tech stops and payload restrictions were absolutely ridiculous last year. Having flown that route dozens of times in the previous couple of years, I've scrupulously avoided it for nearly six months because I'm tired of the nonsense. An A220 would be a welcome sight, although likely a huge upgauge from the CR9.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:53 pm

My western-weighted A220 routing darts have landed on: YVR-MEX, YVR-IAD and YVR-MIA, although the last one may be introduced using the Max-8 prior to A220 introduction. I'm not sure how some of the current ex-YVR transborder CR9 routes (DEN, ORD, DFW, SAN) are doing, and whether they may require an aircraft upgauge and transition to mainline.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What's so bad about the E90? I've done a lot of YYC<>YUL and YYC<>EWR flights, and PDX-YYZ. I don't see it being any worse than a 320 family plane.
It's been a few years, but I used to fly a lot of YYC-YOW on the E90, and never had an unpleasant experience. It was one of the last remaining aircraft to retain the 34" economy seat pitch, before the current chef of Air France realized the seat rails were adjustable. I'm not privy to the operating costs and dispatch reliability of the plane, but from this passenger's perspective, it was a decent product. It's a shame they no longer serve my home airport.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
12 February 2019 22:22

Air Canada eyes new routes with Airbus A220s

QUOTES:

"Air Canada's recent period of sustained growth will give way to a focus on optimising its network and fleet, but the carrier will continue to target strategic expansions, such as leveraging its Airbus A220 on new routes within North America. That's according to Ferio Pugliese, senior VP regional markets and government relations.

Speaking to delegates at Routes Americas 2019, Pugliese said the airline is eagerly awaiting its first A220s, slated to come later this year.

....Air Canada has committed to 45 A220s and will use them to replace its Embraer E190s. While first deliveries are slated for late 2019, Air Canada's first A220 routes are not expected to start before January 2020.

FULL ARTICLE https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...-airbus-a220s/
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Air Canada eyes new routes with Airbus A220s
Well that Routes Online piece was nine paragraphs of saying nothing, save for what we already knew: that "The airline has revealed little about its A220 route plans."

No need to waste any of your time; here's the summary: "Much of its work will be replacement flying, but stay tuned--there will be some new flying [as well]."
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I kinda thought places like YHZ YWG YOW would be homes for these. I'm sure they'll come through YVR, but I won't be surprised to see more DL 220s than AC here on a regular basis.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
My western-weighted A220 routing darts have landed on: YVR-MEX, YVR-IAD and YVR-MIA, although the last one may be introduced using the Max-8 prior to A220 introduction. I'm not sure how some of the current ex-YVR transborder CR9 routes (DEN, ORD, DFW, SAN) are doing, and whether they may require an aircraft upgauge and transition to mainline
I could see those. The previous slideshow also had YYC-IAD and YYC-BOS as new routes that were possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.